The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

for everyone who says 10 speeds are faster...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

On paper yes, because slushboxes use up more HP to drive the internals but... if those 10 speeds allow you to match the power range to the track then they will be faster. I'm a die hard stick guy, but the Aston Martin that we won the IMSA championship was a paddle shifted auto.

On paper yes, because slushboxes use up more HP to drive the internals but... if those 10 speeds allow you to match the power range to the track then they will be faster. I'm a die hard stick guy, but the Aston Martin that we won the IMSA championship was a paddle shifted auto.
I believe he's playing on the "faster" vs "quicker" angle here as the manual has a higher top speed than the auto equipped cars.

It's like the old HP vs Torque argument, do you want HP or a nice wide torque band?.
It's the total package, not just 1 piece of the puzzle. The Aston we had even had a torque converter, which was problematic on pit stops because the drive wheels would creep, which is illegal, so we had to shut the car off, every stop.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
would agree to that, its all about the fun part! For sure a dct or good automatic is going to be faster... just a question of whether or not, you want to have that part excluded from the experience.

Had a pair of friends who tried out tracking their cars at the same tiem as I did. One was a AMG c63 and the other was a V10 M5. Both were slower then the boss at the track and when I gave them a ride in my car, they just laughed out loud at the sheer pleasure of the Boss experience: loud, raw and rude, but capable.... and fun!

Last edited:
Manual vs Auto is a tough call these days with all that new technology that comes into play.......I didn't get my CO Boss 6 spd. just for the color........the fun factor was also a consideration, my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well fun factor is for sure subjective and directly dependent on what u do with the car.
I drove and drive 3 different cars on track.
Manual
Dct
10speed.

I personally find more engaging the paddle shifters. Why? Cause 100% focus on the driving aspect and yes of course ,being fast(er). increases the satisfaction.
i hate.the downshifting of the 10speed.somy favorite is DCT.
I grew up in italy with manuals. The auto was for the rich people lol.
Being in the Rome traffic ain't fun or engaging with a manual lol .
So maybe i also have a "revenge feeling "about manual
I also love braking with left foot.
I'm not a die hard person towards a specific thing.
But as mentioned if i have to pick DCT would be my choice of the "normal gearboxes

i went with the 6spd for the fun of it. the auto is cool but ultimately its boring to me.
i don't commute anymore so when i'm out driving i want to drive.

the fact the wife can't drive stick is just a bonus :D

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I used to be a diehard stick guy but then driving on track and realizing I'm horrible at heel-toe made me want paddles.

After an Xineering install and noticing how autos and DCT's have such a hard time with heat management, I've learned that rev-match manuals are the best of both worlds. The less focus spent on shifting, the more focus I can spend on driving.

Now, I think manual is best in a fun street car but on track, whatever makes you fastest gets the gold star in my book.

First off I'm a kart guy, so braking with the left foot seems so much more natural to me, plus you can " balance" the car on the edge by miniscule brake/ gas inputs, in the case of a turbo car ( or one with crappy torque) you can keep the engine spooled up with the right foot while dragging the brake with the left.
I personally never heel n toe downshift, first off, like I said, I'm a kart guy and they have sequential boxes, and secondly, that's why God created synchros.

I used to be a diehard stick guy but then driving on track and realizing I'm horrible at heel-toe made me want paddles.

After an Xineering install and noticing how autos and DCT's have such a hard time with heat management, I've learned that rev-match manuals are the best of both worlds. The less focus spent on shifting, the more focus I can spend on driving.

Now, I think manual is best in a fun street car but on track, whatever makes you fastest gets the gold star in my book.
Try a synchro-less manual and you'll never want to drive a street trans ever again.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I learned to heel toe downshift when I was 16 years old and getting my license. The old man told me not to do it with the examiner in the car!

My old man was a diehard sports car guy, had a 1961 Austin Healey 3000 with the 3 carb Ruddspeed engine and overdrive on 3rd and 4th.
My Mom's car was a 1964 Plymouth Valiant with a 273 Cid 4 bbl V8, a 4 speed tyranny and a posi diff.

No way I was not going to learn heel/toe with rides like those to learn on. It still is just 2nd nature with me and I can't imagine not doing it on track, it just happens.

Though I gotta admit, I sure would like to try out a dct trans on track.

TMO Supporting Vendors