The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

For Non Tech Pack Owners Including R Owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I remember reading threads elsewhere about guys complaining about having to switch the exhaust to Sport Mode every time they started their cars. I thought it can't be that difficult, and it isn't, and stop sniveling about it. But frankly it's getting old that you have to do it EVERY TIME you start your car. Press twice to get the car in sport mode and then press the damper settings twice to get it back in normal mode. Yea it's not that big of a deal but it's getting old. The same for the "Silent Running Mode" when you shift to sixth gear. I'd prefer to have control of that too.

And that goes for the digital display as well. I want to see the temp display the way I left it and the screen goes back to default every time you restart the car.

It would be nice to have the car remember the settings and engage them where you left them each time you start the car. My wife's 2013 Fusion remembers which screen you were on and doesn't move it back to a default setting so why doesn't the Mustang do that? I sure hope the soon to be released TracKey fixes this.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
VoodooBOSS said:
I'm sure by the time you're finished your car will be much faster than a GT350!

An aftermarket exhaust might be a good solution as long as it doesn't catch your car on fire. ::)

Rick:
Has it been established the Kooks exhaust system was the cause? I was hoping the owner would have received support from Ford, but if this is the case, that won't happen. That was a truly a shame to see that happen.

As far as selecting the performance modes on start up, I have to turn off the nannies every time I start up my Boss. I don't have near the mode options as you guys do, but it should become second nature after time. I will say that on the occasion that I don't, it sure is noticeable within the first 1/2 mile of driving!

TracKey for the GT 350's should be exciting, when is the expected release date?

Steve:
Nice to see you went with the X-Pipe system, I too run an X-Pipe on my Boss and the X-Pipe does sound amazing in the mid to high RPM ranges.

When will you have your new S550 ready for full track duty? Looking forward to seeing your Race videos on some of the east coast tracks.

Good luck with prepping your cars and hoping you both have success on track in 2016

Dave
302 Hi Pro

ARH full exhaust system with their own mufflers eliminates the valve and also allows you to stay in any setting without playing with the buttons for the exhaust. It's a plug in play module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
VoodooBOSS said:
I'm sure by the time you're finished your car will be much faster than a GT350!

An aftermarket exhaust might be a good solution as long as it doesn't catch your car on fire. ::)
I doubt it Rick. The Boss was an easy target compared to the 350's. Nick's car is just wicked! He just looks where he wants to go and it's gone. Power target is a much bigger spread too! We're gonna need a bigger boat...............

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
At the Track Tour Jim Ownes and staff explained that for federal safety requirements the car has to be able to start with all the safety features engaged everytime the vehicle is started. In order to have the vehicle pass federal inspections the car will default to having all the normal modes and safety features activated. This way if your kid, dealer, or someone else drives your car and wrecks it the liability won't go back to Ford for having a vehicle that didn't have the safety features on. When you get in the car you make the choice to put the car in a mode that limits traction control, removes safety limits, or raises the exhaust above federally approved standards. Therefore if you get a ticket, create too much oversteer, or wreck out in the rain due to taking off the safety features, the choice was one the driver made consciously.

From an enthusiast standpoint Ford gives you the option to make your car as wild as you want. From a liability standpoint Ford puts the owness on you to disable safety features in the event of an accident. Don't look to them to change that for 17 in stock trim.

Bay Area
50Deep said:
At the Track Tour Jim Ownes and staff explained that for federal safety requirements the car has to be able to start with all the safety features engaged everytime the vehicle is started. In order to have the vehicle pass federal inspections the car will default to having all the normal modes and safety features activated. This way if your kid, dealer, or someone else drives your car and wrecks it the liability won't go back to Ford for having a vehicle that didn't have the safety features on. When you get in the car you make the choice to put the car in a mode that limits traction control, removes safety limits, or raises the exhaust above federally approved standards. Therefore if you get a ticket, create too much oversteer, or wreck out in ithe rain due to taking off the safety features, the choice was one the driver made consciously.

That's right I recall him saying that also but, that doesn't mean the a track key "for track use only" could eliminate that. We where in the same group.

From an enthusiast standpoint Ford gives you the option to make your car as wild as you want. From a liability standpoint Ford puts the owness on you to disable safety features in the event of an accident. Don't look to them to change that for 17 in stock trim.

TMO Supporting Vendors