The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

For those with McLeod RST/RXT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes most of the time is spent warming up. The "relearn" itself takes less than 30 seconds.

Not sure of procedure on X4, I use bootleg IDS. Anyone familiar with how to do on X4?

You want a tune for your car, I promise. I had both of my Bosses reflashed (JMS off the shelf tune on my old 2012, AED datalogged one on my current one). Makes the car feel angrier and more aggressive, while still progressive and manageable.

Would any tune I put on the car still allow TracKey, or does it replace it? Since it is no longer supported at the dealership level, that might make me a little nervous if it did.

My understanding is that SCT copies a "mirror image" of your stock ECU tune before uploading a new tune. So, you would loose your track key tune, until you re-upload stock tunes. I've never tuned mine, or used a SCT, so these are just based on what I've read. A lot of good info will come up from other forums if you google this subject.

In talking to VoodooBOSS, he pointed out that AED is only a couple hours from my house, and after going to their site I see that they use the SCT tuners for their dyno tunes. That puts a whole new wrinkle on things and now we are back to the CJ pulse ring install when the clutch goes in, the SCT-X4 to reset the crank sensor with the possibility of a custom dyno tune down the road. I got my RST clutch and lightened steel flywheel from McLeod and opened it up today. Words can't describe the quality of this system! I was delighted to see that they included ARP pressure plate bolts.

GaryA said:
In talking to VoodooBOSS, he pointed out that AED is only a couple hours from my house, and after going to their site I see that they use the SCT tuners for their dyno tunes. That puts a whole new wrinkle on things and now we are back to the CJ pulse ring install when the clutch goes in, the SCT-X4 to reset the crank sensor with the possibility of a custom dyno tune down the road. I got my RST clutch and lightened steel flywheel from McLeod and opened it up today. Words can't describe the quality of this system! I was delighted to see that they included ARP pressure plate bolts.
@Shaun@AED is one of the best coyote engine tuners in the country and he's in our back yard. 8)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
VoodooBOSS said:
@Shaun@AED is one of the best coyote engine tuners in the country and he's in our back yard. 8)
You guys on the west coast have all the best weather, cars, girls, speed shops and Tuners.
Then again we do have JDM >:D. But you still have the great weather and cars.... :eek:
But we have a better economy without the weather. Somehow I think were still behind. :'(

Does everyone retain their stock tunes on the SCT-X4, and is it a hassle every two years for California Boss owners to return to stock for smog checks?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
The SCT X4 will save your OEM Tune once you mate it to your PCM. You can mate it up to 5 VIN's, but only one at a time. I have a 12 Boss with TK activated and it stores both Silver and Red Key Tunes.

However, you must return the original VIN / PCM to the OEM Tune(s), before you Tune another VIN / PCM, because the X4 will not save multi VIN / PCM Tunes.

302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro I will be using my SCT-X4 for my Boss only. To clarify, it will safely store my Silver key and Red TracKey tune should I need to restore at smog check time? I am intrigued by what AED may be able to do with a single custom dyno tune that would give me possibly the the best of stock and TK and maybe a little more using just one key.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
From all I have heard the Red key tune is a little behind now and I heard that it runs a little lean and tuners like AED and Lund have been working none stop on tunes for quite a while now.

If you put a long tube header on the car, the red key becomes redundant any ways... And till you do improve the exhaust side of breathing, there does not appear to be that much hp available from just a tune.

But then I am lucky in that my car sails through emission inspections with Kooks cats and a Lund tune. I guess this is a little off topic!!

Very relevant, Mad Hatter. In California it looks like shorties may be our only smog legal option with BBK and JBA having EO numbers. If these would put a little more meat into a tune it may be worth the cost of adding them. From what I understand the install is pretty intense. I did get my SCT-X4 ordered so at least I can do the relearn for the crank sensor and possibly look at the tune for next year after a little more research and possibly a chat with AED. Sounds like a worthy road trip to me, down scenic 49 out of Auburn toward Placerville and Shingle Springs.It's one of my all time favorites.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Gary A:

Yes, I have uploaded a AED Tune and then returned to my OEM Tunes, both silver and red key tunes. I used the silver key as my starting point when programming.

The AED Tune did feel good but for me, I prefer the TK for the engine braking feature. More specifically, I like how TK begins to de-accel when I lift off throttle. My particular AED Tune and the Silver Key Tune seems to hang the throttle on the upside momentarily when I lifted off-throttle.

If my AED Tune was more responsive to off throttle, I would run it more often. Both Lund and AED are very good at what they do. I might consider a Dyno Tune later this year, and fortunately JDM in Freehold is close to me, so might try them.

Good luck with your quest for the perfect Tune for your setup.
302 Hi Pro

I understand what you are saying, 302HP. I like the engine braking though wish it was just a little more subtle. I would prefer not to eliminate it completely. My ideal tune would have the best of silver and red keys and a little extra, and everything as smooth as a Barry White disco croon. Too much to ask?

Kevin MacDonald@JPC Racing tuned here
shiftyeyesxg7.gif

That being said, with the X4 you can datalog any issues, you can buy a suction cup mount to monitor certain parameters, you can check and clear any codes as well as a few special functions one of which is the crankshaft position sensor relearn. No matter what you do, you are going to have to do the relearn so you can grab the pulse ring now if you want to or grab it again when you have the clutch apart. Like ArizonaBoss had said, it will give you a clean signal past 8000 RPM. If you get an aftermarket tune chances are you will have the capability to run that high, but unless you want to utilize the added RPM range then you could skip it, but IMO for whatever it is worth I would grab it just in case. It literally slides into place on the back of the crankshaft and you are going to have to do the relearn regardless if you put it in or not.

A copy of Track Key would be saved on the SCT device. The X4 can hold up to 10 tunes on it at any time, plus you can always save a backup file on your computer if you would like to. I'm sure you would know that the tune will replace the Track Key so you wouldn't have be able to run both tune files at once. If you have AED right there in your back yard, I would utilize that resource and let him get the car tuned from him when you are ready.

Hi, Sean! Have you any experience or are you aware of anyone with the high rpm billet pulse ring from Modular Motorsports? Is the Ford CJ unit still the pulse ring to use? This is the last piece I need but so far haven't been able to pull the trigger (no pun intended).

GaryA said:
Hi, Sean! Have you any experience or are you aware of anyone with the high rpm billet pulse ring from Modular Motorsports? Is the Ford CJ unit still the pulse ring to use? This is the last piece I need but so far haven't been able to pull the trigger (no pun intended).

I don't off the top of my head, but I think that it is just fairly new so not that many people running it. I will take a look around with some of the hardcore guys and see if anyone has any comments about it though. I'm guessing most people I think are far more familiar with the CJ one instead of the MMR so they are more apt to go with that. This is just my opinion on some of their items, but they have a pretty good reputation with some intricate billet items like their crank sprocket and OPG's so I would think that their trigger wheel/pulse ring would still be a good buy, whether it can create a clean signal all the way up to 8700 I think it is, I honestly don't know.

TMO Supporting Vendors