The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Forced Air Helmet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

In my noobiness, it seems I ordered a 'forced air' version of this helmet: Pyrotect Full Face Pro Airflow with Forced Air SA2010 Helmet

http://www.soloperformance.com/Pyrotect-Full-Face-Pro-Airflow-with-Forced-Air-SA2010-Helmet-_p_2204.html

So should I return it for the regular one, or is there a way to take advantage of the forced air tube by installing some kind
of ram scoop or hose or something to my boss for race events?

thanks.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
IMO If you could exchange it for the non forced air model with little or no cost to you I would. You will probably not ever be in a car that would take advantage of this.

Sesshomurai

So there's no benefit to the forced air? I notice there are pumps and cooler kits available. Not sure if I want to invest in that right now.

But I'm thinking maybe there's a low-tech way to expose a scoop on the driver side window with hose that can draw outside air into the helmet. Possible? Pointless? Worth a try?

darreng505 said:
This unless you're going to run Sprint cup or Baja. I take it this is your first helmet? :D

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Run with AC on and run a duct hose from the helmet to the passenger dash outlet. I might do that myself, you can shut compressor down and just bring in out side air.
Seriously does the A/C compressor disengage at wide open throttle? My old Mustang SVO and GT did back in the 80s, this would cycle the compressor on and off during high load and turn it on during part throttle and braking. I hate being hot and sweaty under the hat.
Steve

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The throttle wide open will shut down the compressor. however I wouldn't stress the car cooling system while track driving. Especially in high heat conditions where some cool air me be nice to have in the helmet.

steveespo said:
Run with AC on and run a duct hose from the helmet to the passenger dash outlet. I might do that myself, you can shut compressor down and just bring in out side air.
Seriously does the A/C compressor disengage at wide open throttle? My old Mustang SVO and GT did back in the 80s, this would cycle the compressor on and off during high load and turn it on during part throttle and braking. I hate being hot and sweaty under the hat.
Steve
Neat idea!

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
darreng505 said:
So there's no benefit to the forced air? I notice there are pumps and cooler kits available. Not sure if I want to invest in that right now.

But I'm thinking maybe there's a low-tech way to expose a scoop on the driver side window with hose that can draw outside air into the helmet. Possible? Pointless? Worth a try?

Make sure you get a filter and mesh.... or you'll be breathing dirt, rubber and bugs.

IMHO... I'd send it back and get a non-forced-air helmet. The side & top mounts usually get caught on things if & when you aren't used to them.

Sesshomurai

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
steveespo said:
Steve
Neat idea!

That is a neat idea. I wonder if there is a hack out there somebody did to clip the hose onto the air vent securely. I haven't looked, but I trust that the other air vents can be closed forcing more air through just one vent.

I would not recommend bringing air from the engine comparment or directly off the track into your helmet without some type of good filtration system.

Think about it, you have gas/exhaust fumes, brake pad & tire particles all potentially coming into your helmet which you breath.

If you're hooking it up to an AC vent, then I would think there is an air filter.

Otherwise I personally would not do it.

TMO Supporting Vendors