The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford 5.0l Engine Production to Cease in 2018?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It was bound to happen. Let's be glad they're still going to make a V8. ;D

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Yes, a 4.8l V8 which should be an ideal displacement for a FPC V8, although not ideal for towing in an F150.

Just wishful thinking!
2HP

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I heard about this recently. Wasn't thrilled to hear 4.8L, I was certainly glad that a smaller 4.6L wasn't coming back. :-\

And that would be great if it were for a de-stroked FPC! :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Nothing against the 4.6s...I had 3 of them. Well, technically 4 if you count the engines. ::) Still have one in the garage. While I think Ford and Mustangs could do fine with a smaller displacement like that, I just wouldn't want it to be very soon.

But like Rick said...smaller displacements are bound to happen. But for now, I'm still enjoying the good times! :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Well--the article says "COULD". Let's not accept it as canon just yet. Also the video w/ Dave Pericak at the bottom is from 2010 or 2011.

On the other hand, I'm sure there is plenty of pressure with CAFE/EPA regulations. But, I'd bet Ford could crank out a pretty potent engine even if smaller, based on what's been learned to-date through the 5.0 4V and 5.2 4V.

Hopefully it's not true, though :)

I am not really thrilled by this. Very broadly for N/A engines, a smaller displacement means a reduction in low and mid-range torque. This could be offset somewhat with higher compression, which direct injection in theory allows.

I know I am in the minority of consumers, but I am willing to pay a gas guzzler tax for a N/A CPC 5.2 in a future track car. I do not want the FPC engine, it presents to many potential vibration related issues when you start modifying the power train with long tube headers, cam shafts, intakes, removing mass dampers to ditch weight, etceterra.

For a truck, a boosted V6 is fine by me.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel