The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford 5.2 voodoo engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anybody have any information On the voodoo engine? from what I have gathered ford Plans to build a coyote variant with a cross plane crankshaft similar to the ferraris/lambos. That style crank along with the shorter stroke is what makes there engines sound so bitchin. If this is true I am definetly excited

Heard from inside Ford Racing, that the engine will be N/A , close to 600 HP…….

I received this information a couple of months ago and didn't discuss the crankshaft; but there is a lot of info circulating about it recently.

Supposed to be a track monster.

Brandon302 said:
Will this use the same or similar block as the Coyote and Roadrunner?
Thats my understanding.

13Boss#3328 said:
It is rumored to be Flat plane not cross plane crank
We have cross plane in our current V8.

But does that have any effect on how the block is laid out. IE, can I swap in the rotating assembly or if this wouldn't work could I do a motor swap?

This motor is very exciting.
Call me crazy though, I certainly prefer the burbly sound from a cross plane v8 over a flat plane v8.

Ferrari V8's may have an ethereal scream, but I very much enjoy the much more serious sounding cross plane v8 rumble (boss, any amg, vette etc).

And I would have to completely disagree, though I know a lot of the sound is from the exhaust, but a 458's idle sounds much better IMO.

boro92 said:
This motor is very exciting.
Call me crazy though, I certainly prefer the burbly sound from a cross plane v8 over a flat plane v8.

Ferrari V8's may have an ethereal scream, but I very much enjoy the much more serious sounding cross plane v8 rumble (boss, any amg, vette etc).

What he said. A Ferrariesque sound from any American car is wrong....

2012Boss302 said:
What he said. A Ferrariesque sound from any American car is wrong....

I doubt it would sound like a Ferrari except in the rhythm, since the exhaust would be longer and bend differently I think the tone would be similar to a Mustang.

Who cares, as long as it pulls and sounds nassssty. I personally think the Cadillac and Corvette GT cars sound epic. They thump like a m%&$&#&#&#, dont know how else to explain it.

Brandon302 said:
But does that have any effect on how the block is laid out. IE, can I swap in the rotating assembly or if this wouldn't work could I do a motor swap?

I don't know, let us wait, but you know the new mustang is going to be based on a different frame, which might make the swab hard.

However, the say the "same" V8 will be available, all rumors my friend. ???

The sound of our Boss is intoxicating.

However to me, the flat crank means high revving high power NA engine, which is to die for.

ArizonaGT said:
It's all pure speculation and/or disinformation at this point, anyways. Don't hold your breath.

I heard about this about 3 or 4 months ago from a gmitch on S197 who actually got to look at one of the SVT version's and so far everything he has been saying has been repeated by many sources. He was just saying the other day how there is 16 inches of clearance in the rear wheel wells and that SVT will be putting 13 in wheels on their cars lol

I hope this block becomes available, I too am curious if I would have to go to a Voodoo rotating assembly. With an extra .2 liters and custom cams, CJ Intake setup, headwork, and Longtubes I can really see that being an excellent N/A motor!

ArizonaGT said:
That would be cool but again, we all "know somebody that works at Ford"...even me.

LOL:

well my friend is higher up than yours…….

Couldn't resist. That being said, my source (friend) from FR was talking about the 16 GT350 that was being developed as a "track monster" (maybe to counter Z28? that's me, not him); the N/A would produce close to 600 HP; but most of the excitement was on suspension; handling, etc.

forgot: weight loss of 400lbs and shorter in overall length

Flat-Plane Crank Tech

Flatplane.gif

A flat plane V8 (animated above) is very much like two inline-4 engines mated together in a V configuration. Therefore end-to-end balance is inherent, as the first and last piston of a bank is always exactly in the same position, as are the center two pistons on each bank.

Now, the exhaust note of an engine is related to the manifold design, which is related to the firing order, which is related to the cylinder layout and crankshaft design - therefore the sound of flat-plane V8 is usually somewhat like a pair of four-pot engines screaming simultaneously, unlike the rumble of cross-plane V8s. There have been comments like "It doesn't sound like a V8" aimed at the V8 Esprit... but this should really be "It sounds like a Racing V8!" for the reasons explained here.

While it may be true that flatplane V8s are less refined than crossplane (The flat-plane crank pins produce vibrations, being 180° opposed and thus lacking rotational balance, unless balance shafts are used - which is actually rare), refinement is not a priority for sports/race cars: light weight pistons and conrods and a short stroke "over square" configuration greatly reduce this "second-order vibration". More importantly, as a flatplane crankshaft does not require counterweights, it has less mass and a lower moment of inertia, providing higher rpm and more rapid acceleration.

The firing order with a flat plane V8 allows for perfect balance between banks - each subsequent firing cylinder being on alternating left and right banks (there are a number of possible firing orders e.g. 1-6-3-2-7-4-5-8 or 1-4-5-2-7-6-3-8 but all follow a R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L...bank pattern). This produces even exhaust gas pressure pulses from each bank - allowing manifold design to be fairly simple, with good scavenging and no need for cross over piping from side to side.

See below for differances between Cross Plane Crankshaft "American V-8" vs the Flat Plane Crankshaft

flat_plane_engine.jpg

Personally I think the flat plane crank in a GT350 or other special edition is possible but highly unlikely.

What I think is far more likely is some of the Cobra Jet technology trickles down.

Start with the Boss/Roadrunner engine, add the Cobra Jet intake manifold, CJ intake cams (remember these were originally developed for the Boss program), CJ throttle body, an open element CAI (like they did with the GT500 starting in 2010), the CJ ignition trigger wheel, and a revised tune. Now you're looking at probably 505-510 horsepower and an 8400 RPM redline.

If they want to go more aggressive, add direct injection which will allow you to bump the compression ratio by a half point or so. Overbore it to 5.1 or 5.2 liters to increase displacement and unshroud the valves a bit. Maybe using the PTAW process from the GT500 to avoid having to sleeve it. Now you're easily in the 530-540 hp range.

If the rumors about weight reduction are true, this is more than enough, especially with chassis/suspension improvements and better tires to put the power down. For comparison, the new Corvette C7s are running mid 11's at around 120 mph in the quarter at a weight of 3300 lbs with 455 hp. That leaps and bounds ahead of the ZL1 despite 580 hp and close to the GT500 with 662 hp. A few hundred pounds, good tires, and a chassis that can put the power down makes all the difference in the world.

TMO Supporting Vendors