The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford announces Mustang GT4 at SEMA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awesome. Anyone know the price?

Thanks.
Call me cynical but this is a GT4 spec car, which means you can ONLY buy parts from the manufacturer, this is a sure way to drive up the costs of racing IMO since you can't build one yourself, no matter how identical it is, it still will not have a homologation number on the chassis. I have no idea why US racing organizations are hell bent to adopt Euro rules packages other than it means less work for them.
We already run a Porsche that's built this way, it's extremely expensive, it's not like you can buy one and build some knock off molds for the carbon fiber, every piece has a Homologation number, it also kills the creativeness.
I'm saying $250K at the low end.
I hope I'm wrong

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
Thanks.
Call me cynical but this is a GT4 spec car, which means you can ONLY buy parts from the manufacturer, this is a sure way to drive up the costs of racing IMO since you can't build one yourself, no matter how identical it is, it still will not have a homologation number on the chassis. I have no idea why US racing organizations are hell bent to adopt Euro rules packages other than it means less work for them.
We already run a Porsche that's built this way, it's extremely expensive, it's not like you can buy one and build some knock off molds for the carbon fiber, every piece has a Homologation number, it also kills the creativeness.
I'm saying $250K at the low end.
I hope I'm wrong

I hope you are wrong as well.
I know KohR built the reveal car, but it's possible that Ford could allow Multimatic to build them just as they did with the 302R cars; I'm not sure what the rules are for "manufacturer supplied" but that's basically the model for the Ford GT race cars, so I assume it would stick. If that's the case maybe KohR and/or Watson are still involved cranking them out too.

Even at 120K this would still be way out of my budget range so I'm modestly hoping that the body panels will become available through KohR so I can build a race car that at least looks the part in a few years, based on an S550 Mustang GT (for club racing).

Edit: Looks like Dean just replied to you--Multimatic will indeed build the customer cars.

VoodooBOSS said:
I noticed the car has a clutch pedal. I'm not familiar with the Holinger trans, can someone please explain how it works? Also looks like the car has the stock R front splitter with another splitter installed below it.

It's still a "manual" trans. Kinda like a motorcycle. You don't need to clutch in order to change gear but you still need to disconnect the trans from the motor while you're not moving otherwise you stall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequential_manual_transmission

Looking trough Holinger website they should have used this one with the pneumatic shifter
http://holinger.de/showroom/sg3

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
With a sequential you can't skip gears but you can go up and down through them very quickly. They can also tie the paddle commands to logic so you can rip the downshift paddle multiple times and it shouldn't let it execute an over-rev downshift.

TMO Supporting Vendors