The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford CEO racing at Daytona

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
Super cool. A couple years ago, the future of ford in professional racing looked a bit bleak, but it’s pretty damn bright these days. You gotta love it. Between Ford and GM, American motorsports is going be very well represented

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
Im excited for next year. Daytona and le mans here i come!

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
@PatrickStapler what are average stints? Id be interested in running with a team. Im slowly trying to weasle my way in with Slib and the Briggs Built guys

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Thats what your team is running at champcar right?
Yes. Usually we get two full hours per driver per session based on mileage at the shorter tracks. Two hours is the cutoff per the rules. So we try to get as close to that as possible.

This will be our first time at Daytona which will obviously have a LOT more WOT. So we suspect we will be between 1:30 and 1:45 per session.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
Holy shiznit, what are you running? The gtp cars were running 135s last weekend

🤣🤣🤣…that’s hours, not lap times. I have no idea what we will run for lap times.

Sorry for the confusion.

Based on our Opps Research, the fastest cars at ChampCar last couple of years were running 2:15-2:20.

Good lookin car. We're taking a much less beautiful 2011 Mustang V6. Cheap and functional, we will see how it does.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Based on our Opps Research, the fastest cars at ChampCar last couple of years were running 2:15-2:20.

Good lookin car. We're taking a much less beautiful 2011 Mustang V6. Cheap and functional, we will see how it does.
Most likely Miata's...I'd be surprised if they even run brakes at Daytona.

With racing expenses getting so crazy, the smaller organizations usually do well. Even IMSA has started the VP fuels sprint series for those that can't spend the $75K ( or more) on the full zoot GS class stuff.
I'm not too familiar with Champcar, it seems it started out as kind of a fun/ not serious deal, but has really morphed into a decent organization of late, same with the WRL. Both seem to be great alternatives to the high roller programs.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Definitely...ChampCar started as ChumpCar...which was really close to what Lemons is now. It has evolved into having a lot more structure, yet is still reasonably affordable. Most if not all teams are owned by several people. We have four actual owners and we occasionally have fill in drivers when one of us can't make an event. For instance, we will have a substitute driver at Daytona. I'm not bragging, but our car is not the norm...it is probably the nicest "looking" car on the circuit...definitely not the fastest.

TMO Supporting Vendors