The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Diff Vent Tube Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worked a Porsche club advanced drivers event this weekend and there were a couple of Boss's and 2014 GT's in. Discussion during lunch about some of the standard minor mods done for track days and the subject of rear axle vents came up and several fixes like Bob's catch can and some others mounted in trunk. One of the guys had a simple fix from Ford. The owner installed it with only a change from the axle tube to the upper diff cover. Grand total of $14. for the kit and $.75 for 90 deg barbed fitting instead of the straight one and his over pressure fluid loss problem was solved. One guy with the trunk mounted catch can noted that after almost a year and many track days he had never actually had and lube show up in the can. Seems like the extra length of vertical vent tube was enough to allow for expansion.

I recall seeing a similar arrangement on 60's and 70's cars and on an original GT350's also.

I just ordered one.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014/446994-ford-s-new-solution-leaky-axle-vent.html

I have something similar.
A 45* hose adapter and routed the hose along the gas fill line to inside the wheel splash guard with a fuel filter at the end, to prevent dirt falling into the diff.
What you posted should work well, as well. Mine still leaks occasionally at the 45* fitting and the axle tube... even though I have some thread sealant on it. But not enough to drip, just wet the axle tube.

Trust me, skip the Bob's. What you ordered I'm sure will work fine and if not install a setup like the 302S uses.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7851.0

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
That relocation should work. When I moved the vent on my GT from the axle tube to the top of the finned diff cover, I didn't have any more leakage. Haven't had the problem on my Boss.

That tube does look like it needs to be kept away from the exhaust OTA pipe. More so, if you plan on track time.

F.D. Sako said:
I have something similar.
A 45* hose adapter and routed the hose along the gas fill line to inside the wheel splash guard with a fuel filter at the end, to prevent dirt falling into the diff.
What you posted should work well, as well. Mine still leaks occasionally at the 45* fitting and the axle tube... even though I have some thread sealant on it. But not enough to drip, just wet the axle tube.

If I read this right you said your car has its vent to the axle tube? Mine has the vent on to of the diff cover and the axle tube had a plug where the vent would be. I have a 2012, did Ford change locations at some point?

No, you're correct. I just forgot to mention that I have the Cortex wattslink, which replaced the diff cover.

I think vent being on top of the cover is more effective than the tube. I was going to utilize one of the cooling ports on the Cortex cover for the vent, but haven't had time to buy fittings yet.

F.D. Sako said:
No, you're correct. I just forgot to mention that I have the Cortex wattslink, which replaced the diff cover.

I think vent being on top of the cover is more effective than the tube. I was going to utilize one of the cooling ports on the Cortex cover for the vent, but haven't had time to buy fittings yet.

...or just do this http://cortexracing.com/product/differential-breather-vent-catch-tank-8-8-rearend/

BigTaco said:
...or just do this http://cortexracing.com/product/differential-breather-vent-catch-tank-8-8-rearend/

Well that's what was on the car of one of the guys I talked with this past weekend and he believes it was an example over priced overkill as discussed in start of this thread. :eek: The longer vent tube was doing the job...... for about $180 less! I'm not opposed to aftermarket upgrades & add on's, but only if their also cost effective and not just technical bling. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel