The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford does it again skip-shift problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When skip-shift activates on my Boss I just relax the shifter and then pull it right down into second no problem. Makes for slow shift, but it works. My driving style seems to keep skip-shift at bay. I drive conservatively on the street most of the time, shiftout of 1 gear at approx 2750 and skip-shift rarely activates.

I drove with the trackey everyday in heavy traffic. No down sides.

Sounds like your trends has worn out syncros
[/quote]

Justin,
I think you hit it cause in the morning or whenever you get in the car after it sat you cannot go into reverse it wont until you go into first. They have the car, I hope to find out something today. If they tell me they are pulling the transmission I am going to get a 'next day air' clutch if they agree to installing it.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Justin said:
jeepinocala said:
Ok so I was beat up by this one ;D But if you read my crap I said the skip shift is comming on very low not normal and I dont mind putting a 2000 dollar clutch in it but the trans can atleast work I mean come on. The motor is working good though ;D Yes I am not afraid to call ford out on the junk parts that were put in the car simply cause I know this could not be a dependable RACE track car without alot of work done to it. But on the other hand my dealer said they are going to make it right and they have been on the phone with ford racing ;D Light at the end of the tunnel :eek:
do you have the trackey? if it were me I would just unplug it and if I had to take it in for work just plug it back in if you dont want to run the trackey all the time. not sure how unplugging that thing would ruin a transmission though and they wouldnt cover the transmission warranty for unrelated repairs but I have seen them deny work for far more stupid reasons.

You dont have to go crazy on a clutch like I bought really lol. they have lower cost options I just wanted to buy something that I wouldnt out grow anytime in the near future lol.

When is that sucker going in?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I am hoping for this weekend. in the middle of selling off stuff and packing along with my cousin coming down to get the avenger. I finally got all the parts for the install. going to install a new TOB along with the clutch. Had to go to oriely's to get a clutch alignment tool as the centerforce didnt come with one (came with a pilot bearing and cap for the clutch line though go figure). So I am hoping sunday I will install it.

I've been reading through this thread and I was trying to recall when I seen skipshift ever showed up. The only time I can remember was last year. I shift at 2500 - 3k as a norm so I guess thats why. Unless I'm trying to stay under the radar, like coming home 1-2 in the A.M.

My skip shift has been very random if you drive it hard it seems to show up seldom but if you do the everyday thing I do from work and back through a colege area it happens when you do not want it to. No to mention the other transmission problems.

jeepinocala said:
My skip shift has been very random if you drive it hard it seems to show up seldom but if you do the everyday thing I do from work and back through a colege area it happens when you do not want it to. No to mention the other transmission problems.

Seems more like a wiring prob then a mapping. What engages it? Ground, 12v, or a ma level a sending unit?

I do not believe it has anything to do with wireing if you take it easy it comes on to soon and will dog down the car when you go into fourth. But there are a few other problems with this transmission that make me believe if not fixed or replaced it will be on the side of the road waiting to be picked up.

Sounds like you got a dog. I've read you other posts and this thing seems to fight you on every corner. Was it built on a monday? LOL. I know, not funny. The " side of the road " might be what it takes to get the dealer to do whats right.

The funny part and the only reason I have not just dumped it on their lawn is the reat of the car is jam up motor seems perfect rear end sounds perfect it drives solid just this dam transmission and possible clutch are a night mare BUT I have been very nice and taking my time of being nice cause they dont want the buisness side of me to have to handle this ;D Have to give them three fair chances first.

3 strikes rule. I live by it. Studder, hiccup, last chance, I'll do it myself. Sometimes it doesn't last that long. Depends on the person doing the job.

Good luck. Sucks being the trail blazer. From me and all of the BMO posters we thank you!

Edit: I thank you for efforts, I shouldn't speak for everyone else, my bad.

302BOB said:
I had skip shift unplugged the first month I got my Boss...it's been now over a year & I haven't looked back since!

I asked him to unplug it he told me it does not make any idiot lights turn on but instaed it puts a code in the computer and ford will void my warranty if I unplug it. It still woill not fix the other transmission issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel