The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford does it again skip-shift problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I contacted my dealer because I am having skip-shift 1-4 problems it seems to do it in traffic on the way home I have to pass by our local college ::) The car tries to do the skip-shift while I cant just start going much faster so if I try to shift it bogs because it is to low of an rpm and if I stay in first it will just rev the entire time no win the skip-shift seems to be trying to work at to low of an rpm well my dealer stated if it is removed or unplugged ford will void the transmission warranty so I am fired up :mad: This is such crap ford is sucking again can they just make some fixes to their misstakes-NO. I told them to start a complaint and I want the car fixed maybe they need to tear down the trans and go through it. I really am sick of the Boss problems. If I thought or trusted the transmission to be strong and last from ford I would just remove it myself but I cant give ford that kind of confidence yet.

Sesshomurai

If you're putting in traffic, just bring it into neutral and release the clutch, then into 2nd if you are putting. Problem solved. Whether skip shift works correctly or not does not alter the fact that for "our purposes", it's a nuisance.
The other thing you can do is not shift at the lower skip-shift range. Just Wait. But ranting about how you hate boss and ford doesn't really add value to the forums.

I don't think disabling skip shift will cause any warranty issues. I've read that a lot of people have disabled it, some even by dealers.
I say do a little more research and find a dealer that can disable it using their scanner tools.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
why not just run the trackey if you have it? trackey disables the skip shift. sounds like you need to find a better dealer to deal with.

darreng505 said:
If you're putting in traffic, just bring it into neutral and release the clutch, then into 2nd if you are putting. Problem solved. Whether skip shift works correctly or not does not alter the fact that for "our purposes", it's a nuisance.
The other thing you can do is not shift at the lower skip-shift range. Just Wait. But ranting about how you hate boss and ford doesn't really add value to the forums.

My skip shift comes on very early, not the way it is supposed to. It will make you shift at an rpm that will stall the car in 4th gear so yeah I can rant cause it is a problem and does demote the boss a bit. Look I relize the pride people have in the boss as I do myself but it just another car and should work correctly and if it does not well then it starts to look like any other car with problems. Actually I was hoping for a reply that helps nothing more. My dealer did call me back and looks like they are going to do something being he told me he has several other complaints of the same thing :eek: Crossing my fingers. I did not see where I have stated that I hate the boss? I have put around 6 grand extra into my boss to make it the car it should be. If I hated it i'd get rid of it in two seconds.

Sesshomurai

jeepinocala said:
darreng505 said:

My skip shift comes on very early, not the way it is supposed to. It will make you shift at an rpm that will stall the car in 4th gear so yeah I can rant cause it is a problem and does demote the boss a bit. Look I relize the pride people have in the boss as I do myself but it just another car and should work correctly and if it does not well then it starts to look like any other car with problems. Actually I was hoping for a reply that helps nothing more. My dealer did call me back and looks like they are going to do something being he told me he has several other complaints of the same thing :eek: Crossing my fingers. I did not see where I have stated that I hate the boss? I have put around 6 grand extra into my boss to make it the car it should be. If I hated it i'd get rid of it in two seconds.

If the skip comes early, then wait until you get to higher rpms BEFORE actually shifting, is the help I offered. It works, I do it myself. But you can also use trackey if you have it.
I realize you have a problem you're not happy with, but its easy to fool skip-shift.

I talked to my service manager he told me something will be done should find out tomorrow ;D I did let him know the one thing that would make me happy 100% is for him to remove the entire skip-shift system and I will make hime a new billet cover to go where that skip-shift was ;D Yeah tonight I tried to find where it comes on and off seems like it comes on random from 2000rpm to about 3300 or so way to early for sure. I own a shop but it is a CNC machining shop no room for my Boss for gutting it if I did have a shop to work on the car the skip-shift would have been gutted along with the stock clutch. I feel pretty confident in my dealership making it right. The 2013 transmissions do not have skip-shift wonder why?

jeepinocala said:
I did not see where I have stated that I hate the boss? I have put around 6 grand extra into my boss to make it the car it should be. If I hated it i'd get rid of it in two seconds.

I don't hate mine either. However, a lot of love was lost by Ford's inability to develop a solution for the clutch issue that doesn't always allow shifting at high RPMs.

Justin

Maybe I have owned to many mustangs over the years and I am used to the factory leaving things to be sorted out. Fox bodies had all kinds of issues to fix to make them perform. Same with the 96 cobra I had....even in that "specialty" car they put in a weak T-45 that broke twice on me with stock power and the clutch in it was lack luster as well....then there was its shifter compared to the current shifters the old ones were complete junk. So they have made improvements there. I really am ok with having to fix issues that your typical mustang owner has no complaint about as I am part of a minority that beats on the car like its a rental car.

And if the skip shift thing is what they needed to do to keep me from having to pay gas guzzlers tax than I rather have it be disabled with the trackey or an aftermarket tuner than pay the tax.

Sesshomurai

Justin said:
Maybe I have owned to many mustangs over the years and I am used to the factory leaving things to be sorted out. Fox bodies had all kinds of issues to fix to make them perform. Same with the 96 cobra I had....even in that "specialty" car they put in a weak T-45 that broke twice on me with stock power and the clutch in it was lack luster as well....then there was its shifter compared to the current shifters the old ones were complete junk. So they have made improvements there. I really am ok with having to fix issues that your typical mustang owner has no complaint about as I am part of a minority that beats on the car like its a rental car.

And if the skip shift thing is what they needed to do to keep me from having to pay gas guzzlers tax than I rather have it be disabled with the trackey or an aftermarket tuner than pay the tax.

Well said.

Sesshomurai

jeepinocala said:
I did not see where I have stated that I hate the boss? I have put around 6 grand extra into my boss to make it the car it should be. If I hated it i'd get rid of it in two seconds.

I think this is where you get "wrapped around the axle" ::). The boss is not designed to be the car YOU think it should be, Ford left some of that for you to decide. So griping about how some components are "average grade" or this or that - or this is junk, and ranting about Ford couldn't have done this or that, or it should be better is kind of "hating" on Ford. Instead, just make the car what you want and spare yourself the extra emotions. You have some good inputs, but take a deep breath and just make your fixes. :)

When I'm done with my boss, I will have sunk around $25,000 into it. And I wasn't expecting to get a 302S for $40k.

Justin

I already have 8k in parts on my boss and I havent really touched the engine CAI and cat back.
darreng505 said:
jeepinocala said:

I think this is where you get "wrapped around the axle" ::). The boss is not designed to be the car YOU think it should be, Ford left some of that for you to decide. So griping about how some components are "average grade" or this or that - or this is junk, and ranting about Ford couldn't have done this or that, or it should be better is kind of "hating" on Ford. Instead, just make the car what you want and spare yourself the extra emotions. You have some good inputs, but take a deep breath and just make your fixes. :)

When I'm done with my boss, I will have sunk around $25,000 into it. And I wasn't expecting to get a 302S for $40k.

Justin said:
Excellent point.

Ford should have called the 7500 redline "race inspired" like the clutch. The shifting issues on this car imo are beyond what is reasonable considering how they marketed the car, crappy shifter is one thing but not being able to shift the car in the extra rpms (and the increased RPM are a big chunk of where the extra cost on this car came from) is totally different. Even leaving alone the rare issues some of us are having (like the trans kicking out of gear, which Ford has basically told me to go **** myself on). The brakes imo are another of the typical car issues, they work fine on the street and Ford says to install ducts and dot4 for the track. So ok, I can live with that. But the trans is **** even on the street.

Ok so I was beat up by this one ;D But if you read my crap I said the skip shift is comming on very low not normal and I dont mind putting a 2000 dollar clutch in it but the trans can atleast work I mean come on. The motor is working good though ;D Yes I am not afraid to call ford out on the junk parts that were put in the car simply cause I know this could not be a dependable RACE track car without alot of work done to it. But on the other hand my dealer said they are going to make it right and they have been on the phone with ford racing ;D Light at the end of the tunnel :eek:

Justin

jeepinocala said:
Ok so I was beat up by this one ;D But if you read my crap I said the skip shift is comming on very low not normal and I dont mind putting a 2000 dollar clutch in it but the trans can atleast work I mean come on. The motor is working good though ;D Yes I am not afraid to call ford out on the junk parts that were put in the car simply cause I know this could not be a dependable RACE track car without alot of work done to it. But on the other hand my dealer said they are going to make it right and they have been on the phone with ford racing ;D Light at the end of the tunnel :eek:
do you have the trackey? if it were me I would just unplug it and if I had to take it in for work just plug it back in if you dont want to run the trackey all the time. not sure how unplugging that thing would ruin a transmission though and they wouldnt cover the transmission warranty for unrelated repairs but I have seen them deny work for far more stupid reasons.

You dont have to go crazy on a clutch like I bought really lol. they have lower cost options I just wanted to buy something that I wouldnt out grow anytime in the near future lol.

Yes, I do have the track key but it really is not any good for going to and from work every day. The clutch, well I just dont replace things unless they are the best, but I also intend on a supercharger if I ever get this thing right. Ford racing is dealing with my car from what my service manager told me and he is honest so I have not a single worrie any longer I am sure they will make it correct. I had the transmission tsb done, so after that loosened up the transmission a bit, I told him of my complaints, he said it needs to be checked out. The first thing in the morning I get in my car start it up in and cannot put it right into reverse, it wont do it until you have put it in first gear then the first few shifts into second gear seem like it wants to kick you out from going into second gear then it all goes away after some miles. The skip shift comes on at very low rpms at times and it slows you enough to get some one to rearend you, well I drive by a college every day so this has got to be fixed or rid of. Crossing my fingers who knows.

Justin

jeepinocala said:
Yes, I do have the track key but it really is not any good for going to and from work every day. The clutch, well I just dont replace things unless they are the best, but I also intend on a supercharger if I ever get this thing right. Ford racing is dealing with my car from what my service manager told me and he is honest so I have not a single worrie any longer I am sure they will make it correct. I had the transmission tsb done, so after that loosened up the transmission a bit, I told him of my complaints, he said it needs to be checked out. The first thing in the morning I get in my car start it up in and cannot put it right into reverse, it wont do it until you have put it in first gear then the first few shifts into second gear seem like it wants to kick you out from going into second gear then it all goes away after some miles. The skip shift comes on at very low rpms at times and it slows you enough to get some one to rearend you, well I drive by a college every day so this has got to be fixed or rid of. Crossing my fingers who knows.
I drove with the trackey everyday in heavy traffic. No down sides.

Sounds like your trends has worn out syncros

I'm a little confused by your statement that the skip shift activates at too low of an RPM. It's designed to do that. They all do that. Take it to a higher RPM before you shift. Is there a problem with doing that? You'll still only be half way to redline. I used to be annoyed by the skip shift but I just rev it a little more before I shift and no more annoyances.

Isn't skip shift like 1800-2200 rpm which is around 17-20 mph? I haven't used regular key in a while so I don't remember off hand

TMO Supporting Vendors