The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford drops performance pack level 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know there bringing the Mach 1 but there dropping 3 performance levels to bring it in (Bullitt pp2 and gt350 which we knew they would drop) think it’s kinda sad they are only offering one “track oriented” mustang that your regular guy can afford. Sorry I think the gt500 is pretty pricey for an average everyday guy.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
The more I look at new Mustang prices the more I love my truck.

As the owner of a Boss 302LS and a GT350R, the price delta from PP2 to Mach 1 is worth it just for the better transmission. Although I do think the PP2 looks better than the Mach.

The more I look at new Mustang prices the more I love my truck.
The more Inlook at CAMAROs...
Seriously
53k to start
If a perfpack 2was 6500$..
We are talking a possible 60k for a car with less perf than a 350
With 65-70 you get a zl1 1le
45k is a ss1le (faster than shelby 350)

I see justify this high price only if they put a DCT there.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Seriously
53k to start

Sac.PNG

Ok don't hate me......I'm not partial to Ford or Chevy......I just like cool rides and performance. Sorry to say.....stock for stock the Camaro SS 1LE is a great deal and if I had my choice I would take it over a Mustang. It's less than a GT350 but with close to the same performance and all the track goodies are there.

Seriously
53k to start

please dont. The mach1 is coming with a 10spd option....wonder How it will be on the track.

the gt500....the more i look at It the more I feel its a dud compared to the 350

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Yeah, that SS1 1LE was a pretty sweet package for the money, not so much up here anymore, the price is not much better if any than a Mustang now. Last spring brand new PP1 'stangs were going for $33K Canadian on clear out and that is a damn good foundation for a track day build. 1LE's, if you could find one, were north of $60K and there were no deals to be had. Not a fan of boosted cars so the ZL1 never was of interest. Same for any transmission other than a manual or a DCT. For a track day car it's all about the heat....

The biggest downside of the Camaro is you have to look at it, and out of it, and neither of those visuals are going to be as nice as they are with a 'stang IMHO. I 'test sat' in a Camaro last year and the view out is horrific. I'm not a big aesthetics guy, but the Camaro is just not a slick looking piece like the S550 is. Those problems will be there every day you look at and get into that car, and they can't be fixed. But I can pretty easily add more driveline coolers to my pony, if that becomes necessary, and so far it hasn't.

Match your tool to the job, use it right and things will work out fine, Mustang or Camaro.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I'd love to pick up a Mach 1, I just don't have it in the budget right now. It's too bad they're doing away with the performance packs to allow for some track-friendly options to be added to a budget Mustang. Oh well. The aftermarket will figure it out.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I believe they said it was around 45k and the Mach 1 will be around 52k? Still not cheap but affordable. Yea I think I’m good with the ol s197 she still makes me pretty happy
With Mach 1 prices looking like these, and me being eight years retired, my '08 still looks pretty good.
Base price: $51,720
700a: $1,595
Recaro leather sport seats: $1,595
10 speed automatic trans: $1,595
Mach 1 elite package (B&O sound system, security package, etc.) $1295
Red brake calipers: $495
Voice activated navigation: $595
Appearance package: $995
There's apparently a gas-guzzler tax that I hear is either $600 or $1000 depending on which transmission you choose. For me, the 10R80 is still not a choice. Not even if I never took it out on a road course. As an aside, I really think the 3160 could stand to have a 7th gear inserted between the existing 5th and 6th.

Norm

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The children are get 'n out of hand. LOL.

Blazing Saddles. A fine film from the golden age of cinema.......Before PC killed Humor!!
**To those contemplating jumping ship.

TMO Supporting Vendors