The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford ESP or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Folks: I'm throwing around the idea of buying one of the Ford Extended Service Plans. I have put about 3100 miles on the car in 2 years and anticipate that average to continue. Which of the plans did you buy and why did you choose it? Do you believe the peace of mind is worth the cost? Any input appreciated. Thanks.

I would spend that money on gas and go drive your car. ;) The only real issues with our cars are clutch/transmission related and if you don't have issues by now you probably won't in the future.

84 months 60,000 miles Premium Plan
$1360.00

I chose the months over miles knowing there was no way I would put 60,000 miles on the car.

84 months/75,000 miles ESP here. It gives me peace of mind knowing it is in the bank. I disagree that the only things that might go wrong in the next 7 years is the clutch or the tranny. There are a lot of computers on any vehicle now days and even though everyone says the motors are bullet-proof we know stuff happens.

Even if I never have to use it I'm glad I bought the policy.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Many, many years ago, I set up an imaginary bank account that holds a running total of monies that I have not spent on extended warranties on cars, electronics and whatever other household goods you can buy warranties for.

I figure there is at least $10K in this imaginary account that has not been used to buy extended warranties.

I can buy a lot of repairs or replacement products with $10K.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
GT390 said:
84 months 60,000 miles Premium Plan
$1360.00

I chose the months over miles knowing there was no way I would put 60,000 miles on the car.

Kinda dumb question prob.. but is the 84 months from time of the purchase of the ESP or from new car purchase? In other words if it was purchased today does the 84 Months Start from today even car has been owned for 30 months already? Ty

From time of purchase, My warranty expires 9/2019
I purchased warranty when I bought the car.
I usually do NOT purchase extended warranties. I have had problems with computers on 2007 & 2011 Expeditions.
I am more worried about the electronic stuff.
I have never had a Ford motor quit on me. Electronic stuff is another issue.

I hardly ever purchase extended warranties either. I did on my Boss and feel good that I did. I also had one on my 2007 Tundra, one of the best built trucks of all time. Only have had one problem with it and it happened after the standard warranty expired. The extended was still active and it saved me over $3,000.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
Brewmaster said:
I hardly ever purchase extended warranties either. I did on my Boss and feel good that I did. I also had one on my 2007 Tundra, one of the best built trucks of all time. Only have had one problem with it and it happened after the standard warranty expired. The extended was still active and it saved me over $3,000.

My cars factory bumper to bumper will expire 5/13/15 - Bought new 5/13/12. Car has about 3,100 miles on it. Does anybody know how to add extended ford waranty and approx costs before I start calling Ford. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks gang.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
VWGTI123 said:
My cars factory bumper to bumper will expire 5/13/15 - Bought new 5/13/12. Car has about 3,100 miles on it. Does anybody know how to add extended ford waranty and approx costs before I start calling Ford. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks gang.

owner.ford.com

I typically don't buy extended warranties but I did on the Boss.
Ford ESP's are cancelable for a pro-rated refund if you ever regret the decision. I believe that the investment in the ESP will pay back when / if I sell the car minus that peace of mind it provides. There is a deductible of $100 on mine and I have had a repair on the A/C system that would have cost me $300 had I not had it. I think I paid $1,600 for the 7yr plan and mine's a daily driver (as in, I actually drive it every day I drive)...so I have about 4 more years to see if it saves me actual dollars on repairs or if I get it back on re-sale...but as is the case with all insurance plans, you'll likely never make it back in a quantitative analysis...some of the value is qualitative.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
four-walling said:
Many, many years ago, I set up an imaginary bank account that holds a running total of monies that I have not spent on extended warranties on cars, electronics and whatever other household goods you can buy warranties for.

I figure there is at least $10K in this imaginary account that has not been used to buy extended warranties.

I can buy a lot of repairs or replacement products with $10K.

This is the way I look at ESPs in general.

But...if I were ever to say it's OK to get one to somebody else...it would be only for cars like Bosses GT500s or Terminators. Every other car, I think it's a total waste of money.

I work at a Ford Dealer and I put the 7 yr 36000 mi Premium care on mine. Good peace of mind for me. Give me a call if you want a good price on one. Dale Wilson All-State Ford Louisville KY

I did BaseCare for 8/60. Reasonable price and good coverage of the potentially pricey problems. Got it online, very painlessly, through Flood Ford. You MUST buy it before your 3-year B2B runs out. That clock starts on the first sale date for the car (e.g., not build date).

If in doubt, you can get a pro-rata refund if you decide you don't want the coverage. It's also transferrable (with a fee) to a subsequent buyer.

I too selected something that covered key electronic and heating/AC components. You pay more for the fancy electronics (nothin' much on the Boss, of course) or say, emissions (never had anything go). That was my logic - YMMV.

http://www.floodfordesp.com

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
Not sure if I waited too long :( My car has been sleeping pretty much all winter..

"My cars factory bumper to bumper will expire 5/13/15 - Bought new 5/13/12. Car has about 3,100 miles on it. Does anybody know how to add extended ford waranty and approx costs before I start calling Ford. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks gang"

I just checked owner.ford.com and back a few months was able to enter your vin.. mileage etc.. now can't run any hypotheticals :( Just lists a phone number for a quote. I guess I will call in morning.. but feel like I am going to get raped. Did something change recently? Any input on getting best ESP at best price would be appreciated. Thanks!

I never buy extended warranty's but my warranty runs out 5/19/15 so I contacted flood ford they had the premium care 8 year (that actually gives me 5 more yrs) 36k mile limit with a 50 deductible for $625 , I called Ford ESP warranty center concerning the Trackey they said the issues they had early on have been resolved and if no longer matters if you have the Trackey down load as far as extended warranty is concerned , I've put 3,116 miles on the car in three years , about 1k a year, this warranty will give me 5k a year so maybe I should start enjoying the car more ! :)

TMO Supporting Vendors