The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Extended Service Plan Anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I have 10 months left of warrantee on my 350R and I'm considering extending the powertrain portion of the warrantee for an additional 3 years and 36K (6k currently) miles. It looks like it would run just under $1500. I have started tracking the car last year and thought it might be good insurance. Curious to know if anyone has any experience with the extended warrantee program as it applies to 5.2L engines?

Thanks

Last edited:
Under full Ford factory warranty is the only way I would a own a Gt350/Gt350R. Those motors are what 18K? The person next to me last spring at one of our local tracks blew his bone stock 1700 mi GT350 up. Very well documented the issues with those motors. Not much chit chat about it on this website, but plenty on the issues with that motor on other websites. 1500 for 3 years is a gift from Ford.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Under full Ford factory warranty is the only way I would a own a Gt350/Gt350R. Those motors are what 18K? The person next to me last spring at one of our local tracks blew his bone stock 1700 mi GT350 up. Very well documented the issues with those motors. Not much chit chat about it on this website, but plenty on the issues with that motor on other websites. 1500 for 3 years is a gift from Ford.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen the stories and have also noticed is that its very rare to hear of failures on TMO...I think maintenance practices and awarenesses of enthusiast on this site is a big contributor to that.

Anything can happen I suppose especially when track hours are added to the equation.
I'm "In it to win it"...down the road if I break something I'll fix it but, while I'm making payments I'd like some added insurance while enjoying the car is my concern.

If something unfortunate were to happen engine related while I'm covered by the extended warrantee I'd like to know I would be taken care of in the same manner as if something happened today as well as 3 years from now and not something any less.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I would go to this web site and get a quote. You don't have to buy a warranty from your local dealer but they still have to honor a Ford Warranty bought elsewhere

I tried it for you (2018?) and while it provides for a 3yr warranty it's minimum is 48,000 miles. Nevertheless, even the PremiumCare Warranty is cheaper than the price you received

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I would go to this web site and get a quote. You don't have to buy a warranty from your local dealer but they still have to honor a Ford Warranty bought elsewhere

I tried it for you (2018?) and while it provides for a 3yr warranty it's minimum is 48,000 miles. Nevertheless, even the PremiumCare Warranty is cheaper than the price you received

2017 is my year model. The quote is from the website and uses my VIN factor pricing I suppose....not sure if a different model VIN changes pricing. I opted for the powertrain warranty only.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The gentleman who used to be the Ford Service, Parts and Warranty Mgr. for the US often came out and ran with us at the Mustang Roundup. He stated that there was no problem extending the warranty with an Extended Service Contract on any Mustangs. I brought the question up years back since the Red Key on a Boss 302 was essentially an electronic programming upgrade. No issue at all and none when the GT 350s as they came out, etc. This was brought up as so many Manufacturers seem to question extensions or taking your car to a road course -- Nissan GTR was the perfect example.

Ford Contracts are actually quite reasonably priced in the Industry and $1500 is a solid and very fair price. I would get the Blue Oval Contract and not some other company's and it never hurts to go to your local Dealer and see what he charges or if he will match.

I would definitely get one if you are keeping the car.

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Definitely shop around other dealers for quotes. ESP/Premium Care all have markup structures just like the cars. There is a COST amount for any plan which is significantly lower that what most will openly quote. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, I would talk to them first and let them know that you understand this aspect of the pricing. A competing quote might help.

----

That said, I agree with others to definitely get one. And I never buy the extended warranties, but I would for a 350.

While there isn't much chatter about blown up 350s here, there have been too many that I know of that have failed or had issues on track...and particularly at Willow Springs.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
I unfortunately had to use my warranty last summer on my GT350. No blown up engine but it got very close to becoming a dramatic day. 7 sessions on track at Gingerman Raceway in July were fun, and the car had just come out of a full service with all belts and whistles checked.
Last session of the day, i got blue smoke coming out the back of the car under full pull, and oil pressure dropped pretty by the time I got back to the pits safely.

It turns out that my 2017 had the updated oil filter bracket and lines. Although this is a better design than the first setup that the 2015-16 cars came with, it still can fail due to the massive Voodoo vibrations at high RPM. Ford issued a technical service bulletin for them and so mine was taken care of at absolutely no charge for me, with a loaner in the meantime. The only thing I had to do was to trailer the car back to Detroit as the GT350s don't fit on any of Ford usual tow trucks. I got the Shelby back at home 6 days after the trackday basically, and they cleaned up every spot of oil because I had approximately 7 quarts of oil that spilled out of the engine and into my left front wheel / hub, under the car, all the way to the rear diffuser.

So yeah, I'm opting for the extended warranty in March when my current runs out!

I have one from aftermarket company for 84 Mo from plan sign up date or 75k miles. $100 deductible per claim. covers everything except clutch/cat's. Still have a year left and well worth the $$ if I should ever need it.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Is this a US thing only? My warranty ran out last fall, I only found out because dealers near me started sending me offers to sell me a new 'stang and take my old, worn out and dangerously out of warranty car on trade. But nowhere in any of this did they mention extended warranty.

Not sure I would take it anyway, because I figure there's a zero percent chance the stealer would extend warranty to my clearly modified car, but it would at least be nice to have the option.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Supposedly , according to the Moss/Magnuson Act, a Manufacturer can not void or deny your warranty if the modification is not part of the problem. That said, I have told customers for years that it is not uncommon for a claim to be denied if there are certain mods. The Dealer is often blamed, yet it is usually the manufacturer who will not cover after an issue is sent in that is questionable. Things like tunes, headers, anything internal to the motor, will usually cause problems , as the Manufacturer will request ( or even demand) pictures and computer diagnostic readouts.

Things like cold air intakes, catback exhausts, plug wires, etc. seldom if ever raise a red flag. Obviously if a car is kept quite stock, no concerns and please do not take this as a Ford concern or issue , this is across the entire Automobile Manufacturer spectrum.

Hope this is of some help and if anyone needs more clarification I will attempt to assist , but it frankly comes down to common sense.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
One thing that also came to mind was if you're able to do your own scheduled maintenance...oil changes ect.? I only have 6K mile on my car but, have done my own oil changes (first at 1K then prior to each of my 2 track weekends).

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great question and frankly many folks do a lot of their routine oil changes ,,etc. The rule of thumb with almost all the Manufacturers is that is perfectly fine, though the recommendation is to keep your receipts ( i.e. example -- oil, oil filter , etc. ). A maintenance logbook is also a handy reference and another good recommendation if doing your own work. Some of the maintenance requirements may be better done at the Dealership for solid records, and even then it is easy to take in your own oil, filters ( air or oil ) for some of the basic work.

Last edited:
Extended warranty prices can vary wildly especially between a new car dealer and a used car dealer. My Boss ext'd warranty was under $800 in 2011, but $1200 for my Son's used Scion around the same tyme......good to shop around for the best deals out there.😉

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Used vehicles , regardless of make, are higher due to the fact that the car is no longer partially under factory warranty, hence the Ext. Service Contract carries the full load of the risk. Even if the vehicle still has some powertrain coverage there is approximately only around 500 items protected and the average vehicle has over 5000 components. Even so, a vehicle that still has some powertrain coverage will be a bit less than one that has used up all of it's original Manufacturer Coverage. I tell friends to stay away from the mail order products as often they are new companies or one's operating under a specific State's requirements ,which may be much looser than in the State one lives in. Best to do your Due Diligence and check a company out, but I prefer the ones backed by a major Manufacturer.

TMO Supporting Vendors