The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Ford Keeps Codes for Ignition Key Recoding 10 years?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When I bought the 2007 Mustang used it only came with one key, and PATS needs two separately coded keys to add a third to the computer using the process outlined in the user manual. I knew I had to go through the dealership to erase old key codes and add two new coded keys to allow for the PATS programming.

I just contacted my local dealership and scheduled an appointment to get additional keys programmed for my '07 Mustang. I was told that they can only clone the current key now since Ford only keeps re-coding codes 10 years for vehicles. Really?

That seems strange and frustrating for those who lost their set of keys over the years. I can't imagine it takes much for Ford Corporate to store the codes for eternity. Does anyone know if this is true that dealerships can only re-code keys for vehicles up to 10 years old?

I suspect that cloning is what the locksmiths are doing these days which negates the usefulness of the 2-key PATS requirement, anyhow, but being able to add keys in one's driveway is a convenient option.

I got to the bottom of the story on the re-coding not available for vehicles 10years or older. The re-coding in this sense is the tumbler code for re-keying the lock cylinder, which is not held onto for vehicles older than 10 years.

The dealership was able to erase the old keys and then program the PATS chip on the new keys with their IDS.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel