The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Motorcraft XL-18 Mt-82 Additive review :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

While doing research on the classic MT-82 issues, I found quite a few threads referring to the XL-18 additive by Ford. It's a friction modifier you add to your transmission. Rumor has it that in 2013, the MT-82's were getting this additive from the factory on the line, but I don't know how true this is.

The problems I ran into were two fold. First, it's hard to find online. When you do find it, the shipping costs are usually pretty high (considering the bottle and box it comes in weigh around 13 -15 ounces, I found the high prices crazy). Also, often times, this item is on backorder and out of stock with many online vendors.

Second, most dealers you ask don't know about it. Even if the parts counter knows what you're talking about, trying to get into from the service dept about it is like pulling teeth. They always seemed so cautious about telling me about it and even though the additive is meant for the Mt-82, they will tell you it may void your warranty and that they don't want to be responsible to adding it in.

In any case, I digress...

The bottle comes in a box with the part number XL-18 on it, and specifically states that it is a friction modifier for the MT-82 transmission. The label and packaging says "... recommended by Ford for use in the Mt-82 transmission." With this said, I doubt anyone will ever have a warranty concern about using it. Plus there is no way for a dealer to know you've added it unless they do a chemical test on the fluid.

I finally found that my local dealership (Tuttle Click Ford in Irvine, CA) was able to special order it in and they got it in within a few hours from their local warehouse (or perhaps neighboring or sister dealer).

I finally got around to adding it into my transmission and let me tell you first hand that it's 100% worth it.

Adding the fluid is easy, the kit comes with the small bottle of the fluid, as well as a feeder hose so you don't need to buy or use a fluid pump if you do not want to. There is just enough room between the transmission and trans tunnel to get tip the bottle and gravity feed the fluid to the trans.

I've driven now approx 26 miles with the fluid in and the shifting is getting smoother and a bit less notchy. This is by no means a cure-all for the rough shifting many of us experience but it sure does help. Often times, the trans "kicks" the "bites" as you're going from gear to gear. This was my biggest gripe about this trans. Using the XL-18 you can still feel these kicks, but they're smoother and softer and you can glide the shifter into gear easier.

The price for the bottle / kit is around $24 - $26 on average after tax.

I have not changed the fluid in my trans as I only have 9000 miles on the car.

So again, not a total fix, but damn it sure does help!

With regard to the "2013's already have it" theory, I can say that when cold, my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are clunky. I have found that going 1-3 is smooth, so I do that til it warms up.

cosm3os said:
With regard to the "2013's already have it" theory, I can say that when cold, my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are clunky. I have found that going 1-3 is smooth, so I do that til it warms up.

Mine has the same issues, I've never though about a skip shift until warm. I have talked to a few local guys that swear by the Redline MTL change with the XL-18 and say that combination solves all of their issues. I will be trying this in the spring as I have all the stuff in my garage currently to do it.

This is a spot on review. I have a '13 Boss with the notchy, hooking shifter. I have only had one chance to drive the Boss since I put the XL-18 in but within a few miles, it felt like the transmission smoothed out to the way one would expect from the factory. I look forward to my next ride when the snow is gone to see if the notchiness while cold is gone as well.

Fomoco302 said:
What about the Redline? Is that a potential"out" for Ford to deny a warranty claim?

I would say yes, it can be. I used to work for dealerships, (Nissan, Infiniti for over 8 years) and some of the service managers are cool and understanding while others are so by the book you can tell they cover themselves in EVERY aspect regarding liability. I should point out that no dealership sets out to be a "bad" guy regarding warranty claims. Most are under such scrutiny from the regional reps that they simply have to play it safe. Others understand things like putting an intake on won't cause the radio to go out etc and will be very happy to cover most things. It really is just a luck of the draw. From what I can tell, Ford dealers are playing warranty on the safe side. And that's ok in mos situation because if a dealer covers it and then Ford disagrees, then the dealer is out the cash and the service writer is probably out of a job which really sucks.

If warranty is a concern, I would highly, highly urge you to stay within OEM guidance.
If you find an oil on the market NOT by Ford but conforms to the same standards chemically, then you should be ok. Essentially, if you use Redline and the trans fails, expect Ford to ask the dealer to send samples out for analysis. If you want that analysis to be within OEM spec, either stay OEM or do tons of research to find the right oil to match the chemical standards.

In this day and age it really sucks to have to tip toe around the warranty issue, but that's just life I guess...

The XL-18 additive coupled with the OEM fluid made a big and immediate difference for me. I had my dealer order it and had it in about 3-days with a cost of about $22.00.

cosm3os said:
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but is there a TSB out there such that Ford will pay for this?
No TSB that I'm aware of. The only reference to the XL-18 additive I've seen is this Updated Transmission Fluid chart from Ford. https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/mantrans.pdf

Worldfamousz,
Do you have a 12 or 13, wondering if it mixes with the original qs fluid the 12s def came with, it looks like it's was for dct fluid only.

I have a 2013 Boss

I have heard also that 13-14 MT-82 transmissions are rumored to have this additive in it. However, the lack of knowledge the dealership seems to have about it is disconcerting at best. How can they even know what was added in, it's not in any of their service manuals or information about recommended fluid changes etc.

Well, I just changed my tranny fluid with Redline MTL. My '13 Boss was a May '12 build, so not sure if it had XL-18 as factory fill. It would occasionally "nibble" when shifting cold, although less and less as it broke in. Warmed up it's always shifted great (save for the occasional 2-3 lockout, which the WL bushing insert seems to have helped with).

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
OK, hey I thought we had this covered with the updated fluid Ford came up with a year or so ago.
Motor Craft dual clutch transmission fluid XT-11-QDC.
Had my transmission rebuilt by Ford May 2013, I do not see the additive on my 3 page invoice. I do see 6 bottles of the XT-11-QDC.
My car shifts just fine, a little notchy when cold , but so was my BMW. I have up graded the clutch and all so its not a stock set up.

+1 to everything WorldFamousZ said.

In addition, I found mixing the (relatively thick) additive with some trans fluid made the gravity method a little easier/quicker.

Happy shifting,

FJ26

Domestic Product said:
OK, hey I thought we had this covered with the updated fluid Ford came up with a year or so ago.
Motor Craft dual clutch transmission fluid XT-11-QDC.
Had my transmission rebuilt by Ford May 2013, I do not see the additive on my 3 page invoice. I do see 6 bottles of the XT-11-QDC.
My car shifts just fine, a little notchy when cold , but so was my BMW. I have up graded the clutch and all so its not a stock set up.

Again, no dealership I talked to had ANY clue to any other fluids or additives being used in our cars except what was in the manual. They couldn't find any TSB's etc or any memos that stated using other fluids or additives were supported by Ford USA. Perhaps your dealer knows something the rest don't? I would love to know if your dealership could come up with a TSB etc that the rest of us could use when we go in...

Check out what for posted about this. Post# 188

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/541546-mt-82-transmission-additive-update-13.html

kona768 said:
Check out what for posted about this. Post# 188

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/541546-mt-82-transmission-additive-update-13.html
That should put an end to this. Deysha knows all.

"EXTRA! EXTRA! Read all about it! New info/correction/final word!!

As per current work shop manual and service publications, the XL-18 is no longer used. The mentioned chart has not been updated on the site since June (as per the bottom right corner of such: Version 3.7 / Published 6/2013).

You may all breathe again. I hope this helps.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford"

TMO Supporting Vendors