The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Performance M-2300-T vs M-2300-S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi everyone,

I know it's probably been asked before, but I couldn't find a topic that compares these two.

First of all what I'd like to know is, does the 2300-T kit work well with the stock 2009 GT ABS unit? does one suits better the characteristic of the stock ABS unit for the early S197 cars?

I'm mostly doing normal trackdays about once or twice a month. The rest of the time the car will be used on the street. Stock engine and everything for now.

Which kit would you recommend more for that purpose? I know the 4 piston kit will be cheaper to run in the long term, but how potent is the 6 piston kit compared to the 4 piston one? Is it worth the extra $$$?

I had the 4 piston kit on my 2011 brembo pack GT in the past, but I never felt it was that much capable (especially not compared to the S550 performance pack brakes, which are nuts). I did not try any race oriented pads or discs with that car though.

Just to note, I'm looking into staying as much OEM as I can because of multiple reasons.

Thanks.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Hi everyone,

I know it's probably been asked before, but I couldn't find a topic that compares these two.

First of all what I'd like to know is, does the 2300-T kit work well with the stock 2009 GT ABS unit? does one suits better the characteristic of the stock ABS unit for the early S197 cars?

I'm mostly doing autocross days about once or twice a month. The rest of the time the car will be used on the street. Stock engine and everything for now.

Which kit would you recommend more for that purpose? I know the 4 piston kit will be cheaper to run in the long term, but how potent is the 6 piston kit compared to the 4 piston one? Is it worth the extra $$$?

I had the 4 piston kit on my 2011 brembo pack GT in the past, but I never felt it was that much capable (especially not compared to the S550 performance pack brakes, which are nuts). I did not try any race oriented pads or discs with that car though.

Just to note, I'm looking into staying as much OEM as I can because of multiple reasons.

Thanks.

I had an '11 GT with the track pack (lite - no Torsen) option with the 4 piston Brembos. Compared to the 6 piston on my S550 they are not in the same playing field at all. Have yet to experience any amount of fade and when I changed to a better pad that minimal fade went away. That was on a track known to be a brake killer and only happened on one corner that was a long downhill entry to a very slow corner after a very fast straight. I feel no need to change to anything else at the moment.

I had an '11 GT with the track pack (lite - no Torsen) option with the 4 piston Brembos. Compared to the 6 piston on my S550 they are not in the same playing field at all. Have yet to experience any amount of fade and when I changed to a better pad that minimal fade went away. That was on a track known to be a brake killer and only happened on one corner that was a long downhill entry to a very slow corner after a very fast straight. I feel no need to change to anything else at the moment.

S550 Mustang's with the Performance pack brakes are in a total different league. However I'm not asking about the S550 brakes, only about the 4 piston brakes vs the 6 piston ones from the 13-14 shelby's.

Btw - there was no track pack option for the 11' model year. It was called a "brembo pack" back then. Track pack option was added only for the 13-14 model years.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
S550 Mustang's with the Performance pack brakes are in a total different league. However I'm not asking about the S550 brakes, only about the 4 piston brakes vs the 6 piston ones from the 13-14 shelby's.

Btw - there was no track pack option for the 11' model year. It was called a "brembo pack" back then. Track pack option was added only for the 13-14 model years.

That's right, it was called the "brake performance package" on my window sticker which I thought was really strange. But it included more stuff than just the brakes, had a bunch of suspension pieces too. My car was fully optioned and it was a heavy turd, I bought it used and only kept it a year before I got serious about track days and got a better sword.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Hi everyone,

I'm mostly doing normal trackdays about once or twice a month. The rest of the time the car will be used on the street. Stock engine and everything for now.

Thanks.
Track-capable pads should make as much difference over OEM pads with the 14" 4-piston kit as they do for the little two-piston 12.4" brakes.

All track capable pads will dust and make at least occasional noise, but Carbotech and G-loc pads at least don't feast on rotor iron (up to the XP12/R12 level that I know of). Mu for the 10's and 12's is significantly higher than mu for your car's OEM pads.

I'd start further up than 8's in either of those names, as I managed to crack this compound (without losing any pieces). This was before installing the 14" 4-piston kit, for which I'm currently running 10's all around.

10's modulate easily enough that even if the ABS goes offline and puts you having to deal with momentary lockup (which will typically be at a rear wheel) isn't hard or tricky. I've had an ABS light a couple of times on the track with the 14" kit (unknown reasons) and may have to investigate staggering the pad compounds.

Norm

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I have an '05 GT, and I have gone through the same brake dilemma you are experiencing. I run the 4P Brembos, and I don't have any plans to go 6P in the near future. With the right pads, the 4P brakes are very effective. If you do want to go 6P, you can use the calipers from the S550, so JDee's comments are directly relevant. You aren't locked in to the S197 caliper offerings. The 6P brakes do resist fade better from massively aggressive braking or a brake killing track. The advantage will only be noted by the top 5% of track used Mustangs (which is 0.005% of Mustang owners overall).

My experience is with street tires, and the difference in the 4P and 6P will show more if you are running slicks. I would say your tire choice should drive your caliper selection..

Adder: Your master cylinder and ABS will be fine no matter which route you go. There is an ABS system for the S197 from the FR500C (?) to better cope with slicks if you are going all in.

Adder: Your master cylinder and ABS will be fine no matter which route you go. There is an ABS system for the S197 from the FR500C (?) to better cope with slicks if you are going all in.

I've had no luck finding the FR500C abs unit and they require other modifications to work on our cars.

I'm the resident Gloc/Carbotech hater, go Ferodo DS1.11 or DSUNO, or Raybestos ST47F/43R.

You'll be fine with either kit.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel