The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Performance Oil Separator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks to BMO member @BigTaco for scooping this at SEMA. This should retail for around $189 and availability is unknown. I'll check on this next week.

3A3E7D57-04B2-482F-853B-FEF20F36969C_zpsan5mwq5q.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Re: Ford Performance Oil Seperator

I like that it is secured to the overflow tank, but is this being used on a blower application?

On my Boss application, I like the Peterson Vent Can as it totally eliminates introduction of oil vapor to the IM.

Good luck with sorting your Shelby.

2HP

302 Hi Pro said:
I like that it is secured to the overflow tank, but is this being used on a blower application?

On my Boss application, I like the Peterson Vent Can as it totally eliminates introduction of oil vapor to the IM.

Good luck with sorting your Shelby.

2HP

Actually it does not attach to the overflow at all. Those silver Allen screws are to secure/remove the lid from the canister. The canister is mounted to existing holes on the outside edge of the valve cover used to secure parts of the engine wiring harness. I too like and have a Watson sourced Peterson kit on my car. I do not like that I can't vent outside air through the air conditioning system without smelling engine oil when the car isn't moving. Not a big deal since all you need to do is use the recirc setting to avoid this.
I spoke with the engineer who designed and developed this part. You would not believe how much he sweated the smallest detail. From the gasket to the size of the aluminum screen he really worked hard on this canister. He told me that he just put one in an oven to enure longer term durability of the entire part. Long life and functionality "baked" in....

The greatest thing about it is the ease of service and light weight. I love the fact that it looks like it came on the car OE.

I held the GT350 prototype in my hand. It looks very similar but may end up mounting on the other side of the intake tube (drivers side).

I have to say, I was treated very well by the Ford Performance guys.

BT

VooDooBOSS said:
That does look like a SC but my understanding it works on Coyote based cars and possibly others.

Correct, this car has the Ford Performance/Roush supercharger but the canister is meant to work with both types of applications.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

BigTaco said:
I held the GT350 prototype in my hand. It looks very similar but may end up mounting on the other side of the intake tube (drivers side

BT

BT:

Yes, thank you for the mounting clarification.

However, where ever they do decide to mount it, the "In" hose will have to come off the PCV Valve, and the "Out" hose will have to attach to the IM side of the TB plate, or vacuum side of the TB.

I suspect the placement of the hoses routed in this configuration will influence the final mounting location of the device.

It sure looks great, and thanks so much for posting this find.

Kind Regards,
2HP

Thanks for the heads up and I will be ordering these. moto sent me a document that said you'll want these if tracking the car:

Oil%20Separator_zpsjfbgftfm.jpg

cloud9 said:
Thanks for the heads up and I will be ordering these. moto sent me a document that said you'll want these if tracking the car:

Oil%20Separator_zpsjfbgftfm.jpg

You know what, I assumed that the GT350 unit was going to be a stand alone drivers side deal...now I bet the plan is to use both the one shown in the pic above in tandem with the drivers side seperator.... Basically running 2 for gt350 applications....

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Looks like track pack is a must for track use. Electronic controls that reduce power and rpm to control powertrain component on base car.
I do love the car but too rich for my blood to turn into track only car. Jealous of all who can do it.

steveespo said:
Looks like track pack is a must for track use. Electronic controls that reduce power and rpm to control powertrain component on base car.
I do love the car but too rich for my blood to turn into track only car. Jealous of all who can do it.
You're doing just fine with the #21. 8)

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

BigTaco said:
I'll find out more early next week....

BT:

While your checking with your source, please ask why does the non-vacuum side of the 5.2l FPC engine require an oil catch can?

I'm sure other might like to know why the Voodoo is different in this regard.

Thanks again for your insider information.

Regards,
Davis
2HP

Ok here's the info on the seperator. Is should be available in December and retails for $189. So the street price should be around $152. Specifics are:

1. A lot of development went into the filtering media, "it works great".
2. It's made out of glass filled nylon 6 for durability.
3. Uses a throttle body gasket vs an O ring found on other separators.
4. The hoses come from the same supplier that makes the OEM hoses.
5. It uses OEM quick connects with proper seals.

Ford was going for the OEM look and quality for durability. "We did it right" There should be specific fitments for the coyote and voodoo engines.

I'll say they did it right. :) Having owned a couple of the other aftermarket separators I was always suspect of the ability to collect oil and their overall effectiveness of their products. Plus the mounting, just suspended by the hoses, was never ideal. The Ford Performance Product looks like a winner.

That's great info Rick and sounds like it's well thought out. I have had other ones where the fittings actually failed so looking forward to this becoming available.

TMO Supporting Vendors