The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Performance Oil Separator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bob's is nice and the Moroso is too. They are the only two I'd consider outside the FP separator. But seriously, how often do you think you're going to have to empty the container? I'll check mine maybe a couple of times a year if that often. I ran my 302S breather for two seasons on my Boss and barely collected over an ounce.

VoodooBOSS said:
The Bob's is nice and the Moroso is too. They are the only two I'd consider outside the FP separator. But seriously, how often do you think you're going to have to empty the container? I'll check mine maybe a couple of times a year if that often. I ran my 302S breather for two seasons on my Boss and barely collected over an ounce.
I've had JLT and Peterson breathers on both my GT500 and Boss and both cars were heavily tracked. Like you I had very little oil collect in either. In fact I NEVER emptied the Peterson can in 5 years of heavy duty track use.

The Peterson can vents to the atmosphere, so it rarely collects anything in the can, even with the little mesh in the can. Peterson can is the best option for the car, but not the environment ::)

cloud9 said:
I've had JLT and Peterson breathers on both my GT500 and Boss and both cars were heavily tracked. Like you I had very little oil collect in either.
Same here, not much oil in either setup. If the breather was releasing a lot of oil into the atmosphere there would have been oil mist all over and there wasn't. Regardless you're not going to need to empty any canister very often.

I actually found and read your review. This comparo was in controlled conditions and even though not real world conditions, you can still see Bob's performed. Didnt give absolute results but did show which designs fell short.
JLT has claimed that their new design is far improved. But I have yet seen a real world tests. Until someone shows me hard facts, 1 & 2 are Bobs and FP in my book.

HackBoss302 said:
The Bob design seems solid, but not sure this test is the end all. 20 psi and 20 weight oil do not replicate real world situation in my opinion. I prefer on engine test. In my own testing I've found the Moroso to work best when compared to the JLT. The Ford Performance design seem solid based on the 200 mile test Tri-bar conducted. I'd like to run back to back test with the Moroso and FP separators, if only I had the dollars. lol

8250RPM said:
Correct it's a crank case breather not really a oil catch can.
you are 100% correct. Without the vacuum being present in the Peterson unit you will not collect much or any oil in it.
This is a huge difference in the two. Connect the Peterson to the intake (vacuum) and you will have a night and day affect.
I run the Peterson and have no complaints.
Any oil separator that is connected to the vacuum side of the IM will draw oil into the seperator.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Yes, Plus 1 /|\

The only test is to pull your TB and inspect the IM. Even with the best oil can system, your going to find some oil film. It's just a matter of what can system allows the least amount of oil residue into th TM.

I'll keep my Peterson Fluid Systems Crankcase Ventalation Can, (PCVC).

302 Hi Pro

Let me add one thing, to empty the Ford Performance oil separator wasn't a huge issue. As many time as you might have to open it up, I.E not often. I didn't find it any harder than the JTL. It works well, looks nice, I can put up with a few seconds more to clean it one once in a while. Get one of these,
http://www.amazon.com/Excel-Car-Fluid-Withdrawal/dp/B00E2V5SPU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1455113303&sr=8-10&keywords=fluid+suction
So much easier.

I like the "stock" look for the Ford Performance unit. At my California Smog check the tech was looking at my JLT and asking "is that supposed to be there", to which I answered "yes it came with the car". Well it did come with the car to me :eek:

TMO Supporting Vendors