The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Performance Racing School Moves To Charlotte

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I sure hope they know what they're doing too. Why not keep them at both tracks? Guess I'll need to convert my Boss to a 4X4 now. Look for a new build thread.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
This is actually great! That's about 3.5 hours from my brother and only about 2 hours from where my parents plan to move to. Looks like I know where I need to plan on settling down!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Really unfortunate news in my mind as Utah Motorsports Campus had the benefit of being a very safe track, hitting a wall was almost non-existent and screw ups meant a short run into the dirt.Teaching new drivers on an Oval or the Roval has many more concerns and frankly does not teach driver's about conventional road courses. Seems like a Nascar based concept and even for those that are fans, Charlotte just does not seem a safe, practical place for what will introduce many new owners to the track?

Last edited:
Well. since Miller past away things have changed drastically, I was out there running PWC when it all came about. Apparently he was the only one in the family that was a car enthusiast, and he built a world class track, but it was horrible for spectators. The museum was broken up, and last I heard Kia or Hyundai took over the track, whether by purchase or lease. When that happened the days of the Ford school was numbered. The fact that it was in the middle of nowhere didn't help the day to day operations either, Charlotte on the other hand is growing exponentially and is the home of several pro and semi pro teams. It's unfortunate that the track in Utah can't be picked up and placed in NC.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I believe the track is being purchased by some Chinese Conglomerate , but I still view this as a sad commentary, as it almost seems a concession to the Nascar fans, when in my ancient mind the Mustang and the Shelby GT 350/GT 500 are road course machines. With that in mind , Charlotte is just not a conducive track for teaching or learning technique , too damn many walls!!
It is not just the newcomers, over the years so many of my friends , who are talented wheelmen , have contacted walls on roval tracks --- Ford really should rethink this or consider another track, imho!

MA
As others have stated, bittersweet. I'm grateful for having had the opportunity to go out there for both Boss and GT350 track attacks. Both times were extended trips and priceless adventures. First time was the Utah "mighty five" national parks. Second time was Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Phoenix. I wonder the ramifications for the area once this relocation occurs.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Well, the problem with having it out west is that the bulk of the population on the continent is in the eastern half of the continent. That's a disincentive for the majority of the population. I agree about the wall concerns at Charlotte, hopefully they will come up with a way to minimize that issue. It would have been nicer if they had picked a dedicated road course, so many good ones in the east to choose from.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel