The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Performance Racing School

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long post - apologies in advance...

Hey guys (and gals), I just completed the two day class at the Utah Motorsports Park (formerly Miller Motorsports) and thought I’d provide a little feedback on the class and the cars.

First a little background on me: I’m an HPDE eventer and haven’t done anything wheel to wheel. I have a 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack car with a host of usual upgrades that seem so common with us. My interest is getting better at road course driving including vehicle dynamics and car control while safely exploring (and pushing) the limits of myself and the car.

First the class:
Day 1 - I was immediately impressed with the caliber of the instructors and the facilities. They were definitely on their game and this was a no bs operation. All were former or current pro drivers in a wide variety of cars including PWC, IMSA, open wheel and similar level racing events both domestic and international. The classroom material was well organized, brief and to the point covering basics of turns (turn in, apex, track out), 100% traction principle (acceleration, turning, braking), threshold braking, flags and basic track etiquette. Then we were off to the track. There we did a van ride around the course having all key areas pointed out before doing a lead/follow in the S550 Mustang GTs. After that we went to an oval course and practiced threshold braking on decreasing and increasing radius turns with instructor ride alongs to coach as we went. Following that we went to the skid pad and one by one had a go in the Ford Taurus equipped with a undercar “cradle” with hydraulically controlled wheels (outriggers) to induce oversteer or understeer at the whim of our instructor. Supposedly this simulated car behavior at high speed and was to demonstrate how critical it is to look where you want to go as the hands (on the wheel) will follow. Then we went off to another course where we practiced braking again - first our normal brake pressure, then full abs, then try to master threshold braking without going into abs. Then we tried short shifting up a gear before the braking zone and worked on heel/toe downshifting. This was done for a good 15-20 times per car and was a good intro on how to do it and how to practice on our own. Next up was lunch, followed by on track driving with cones out to show us braking, turn in, apex and corner exits. We went out in 20 min sessions, giving everyone time to feel out the course and start pushing more on every lap. Last session was without cones to test what we had learned earlier in the day. That’s Day 1.

Day 2 - I signed up for the optional Boss302FRS, which was an absolute riot. More on that in a bit. The day was structured similar to Day 1 but on a different road course. Van ride again with key areas pointed out, then lead/follow, then four 20 min sessions on track pushing harder and exploring limits of car and driver with limited passing allowed with point-bys as the day progressed. In between track sessions were classroom Q&A sessions while we alternated going on and off track by run group. We ended everything up with a “graduation” including a course completion certificate and nice personalized plaque from Ford Performance. Also included was the usual swag bag and t-shirt. Very nice overall and highly recommended.

The cars: this really took me by surprise.
Day 1 was a 2015 S550 Performance Pack car with the FR handling pack, 200 treadwear tires, axle-back exhaust, Castrol SRF fluid and upgraded brake pads. That was it. Oh - it also had a rear diff cooler. The car was awesome on track. It sounded great and had excellent bite on the brakes. Aside from the very annoying “eco-mode” where suddenly the car wouldn’t accelerate past 4K rpms without taking your foot off the gas and then re-applying it, the cars ran great and we experienced no issues. I was surprised more hadn’t been done to the cars. Aside from the annoying throttle map (apparently all the GT S550s do it) the car was great.

Day 2 was a whole different level. The Boss302FRS ( Ford Racing School?) is a fully prepared NASA ST3 racecar. Single halo Recaro seat with 6 point harness, AIM gauge pod, fire suppression system, full racecage and gutted interior, BFG slicks (40 treadwear) upgraded Brembo 4 piston race brakes, slotted rotors, 18” Forgeline wheels, front LS splitter and rear G-force (?) adjustable wing, MCS coilovers all around, race exhaust (loud) and surprisingly no fancy watts link or adjustable sway bars. The car was raw, loud, fast, had amazing grip and brakes like the hand of God. To say it was awesome would be a major under statement. We wore full race suits, full face helmets with HANS devices - all provided.

All in all, I’m a happy customer and feel more confident on track pushing the limits of myself and the car. I came away feeling a little silly with all the mods I’ve done to my 2014 GT when aside from upgrading consumables and maybe a good coilover package very little else is needed to get the car performing really well. The aftermarket has us fooled into thinking that if we don’t change out this and that and almost everything else that we don’t have a car worthy of track duty. That couldn’t be farther from the truth. These cars are tough and can be beat on lap after lap burning nothing but fuel, tires and brake pads. Oh and those who say the solid axle is no good and you have to have IRS, I call bs on that. True, the IRS is more modern and should be better but the limiting factor isn’t the car - it’s the driver. That Boss will charge down the straights, clamp down and turn in with the best of them. It’s a great car. True - at the outer edges of performance the IRS is better I’m sure but that outer edge is so far out there that all but the best drivers are likely not going to reach it IMHO.

Anyway, I’m no pro and certainly don’t know all there is about this - these are just my opinions after spending the last two days on track. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utah
Great post. Utah Motorsports Campus is my home track and I will be going there tomorrow to run TT4 at the NASA Utah event. I got my start there at the FPRS about 6 years ago when they used to run a 1/2 day program, and then at a 1 day racing school. I never thought I would find anything I liked more than motocross, but here it is!

I bought my car almost 5 years ago. Would I do my mods differently knowing what I know now? Yes, but we go on modding because that is what we do. But I tell those I meet that want to get into it to get a sports car you really like (for me that is a Mustang) leave the motor stock, get coil overs, good brake fluid and pads, good tires (work your way through 200, 100 then 40 tread wear) and start to learn just as you say.

Glad you enjoyed the track and especially the BOSS 302FRS. Yes it stands for Ford Racing School. My good friend is the lead mechanic on those cars and build each one from the ground up after they were done with the BOSS Track Attack program. He will be glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.

desmo,

Thanks for the review. You just completed exact what I have been contemplating to do for some time now. I bought my Boss used and do not having any track experience. I have hesitated to pull the trigger on this training (it is an expense). I have considered my first track experience to be at a more local level with my own car. But, the thought of being out there and using some else's car resonates with me. Plus, the professional instruction probably can't be beat. It sounds like you feel it was worth the money. Is that correct?

Do you feel that this course would be a good place to start, training wise for someone who really enjoys whipping the back roads buy hasn't been to the track yet?

The Ford Performance Racing School is very well run and you learn a lot. Many TMO members have been there with both the Boss Track Attack and GT350 Track Attack not to mention the Raptor and Focus programs. We setup a TMO group with 10 members and we were the first ones to drive the GT350's in March 2016. Mine had 50 miles on the odometer. The second day we did the race cars and it pretty much turned into a private track day for all of us. We had a blast!

MA
Agree with all the positive posts above. As @VoodooBoss said many TMO members have taken advantage of the opportunity to attend. I have been fortunate enough to do the Boss, GT350, and when they had it, the 1/2 day raptor (for $300!!!!!!!!). Its a must do IMO for anyone who purchases a FP vehicle. I've thought many times about how I can swing the dough to go back :)

desmo,

Thanks for the review. You just completed exact what I have been contemplating to do for some time now. I bought my Boss used and do not having any track experience. I have hesitated to pull the trigger on this training (it is an expense). I have considered my first track experience to be at a more local level with my own car. But, the thought of being out there and using some else's car resonates with me. Plus, the professional instruction probably can't be beat. It sounds like you feel it was worth the money. Is that correct?

Do you feel that this course would be a good place to start, training wise for someone who really enjoys whipping the back roads buy hasn't been to the track yet?

Definitely - I recommend this class. Yes it is a cash outlay but before you start throwing mods at your car, get some training and experience in a controlled environment. This will go a long way towards learning what these cars are capable of and ultimately what direction you want to go with your car. Back roads are no place to push the limits when you aren’t really sure how far you can go and then what to do when you do cross that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything about Ford Racing School is absolutely first rate. Did BTA there in 2013 (two day school driving the FR500S second day) and in 2016 went as a guest @ GT350 TA, driving the B302FRS the second day. By far the best money you can spend if you want to learn how to properly drive these cars on track. For the same money, no question I'd spend it on the "driver mod" before any car mods. I intend to go back again, hopefully next year, for the 4 day race licensing school.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have been to Racing Schools 10 times in years past , and this is the best school in the Country in my estimation. Great Instructors, well maintained cars, and most importantly, a very safe track in comparison to others. The Insurance fee is similar almost at all tracks and no sure if other track insurance through an outside carrier would cover a vehicle unless it is your own?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
@Bill Pemberton I've never been to a driving school so I'll be prepared the rest may fall short. I had an awesome time at the school and learned a lot. I found a poor tendency that drifted back into my sessions if not careful...foot on brake too long. I was reminded of it by two different instructors, one after being complimented on controlling some oversteer then telling me why it happened in the first place.

Everyone in our class opted for the insurance. A week after my class someone totaled a Boss 302FRPS car....fortunately they opted for insurance as well.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
In many cases just a quick hit on the brakes is what is fast on the track. Simplistically, driving on the track means you probably should brake the opposite of how you do on the street.......

1. Street -- pressure soft, then more and more till slowed.
2. Track - super hard, quick, pressure and then get off the brake

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors