The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Performance Springs (Stance Question)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
I installed the Ford Performance M-5300-X springs on my S550 Performance Pack 1. Paired with the factory PP suspension these springs complete the Ford Performance handling package. I feel a noticeable improvement in the ride performance and less body roll.

My question is the rear is slightly higher than the front, does anyone know why they are designed this way? I actually love the stance paired with my Ford Performance hubs, ARP studs, and OP Mustang spacers. However, the technical side of me likes to understand “why‘ things are designed a certain way...

Note: After installation I clocked and torqued all the rubber bushings to specs with the car sitting on all 4 tires and level.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

CE98255A-9D92-4213-BD60-7B239920AB7E.jpeg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I don't want to get into a pissin' match or anything, but the PP shocks are not designed to be used with the Ford Racing springs. My understanding is the pp springs are 165/728 and the Ford Racing track springs are 250/913. The FR3 springs are progressive and the PP ones are linear. Very different setups.

I suspect the PP shocks are going to be overwhelmed by the added stiffness of the FR3 springs. I have the FR3 kit on my car and I wouldn't even consider using the PP shocks with those springs, the shocks in the FR3 kit are quite different than the PP ones. It was engineered as complete package with spring, shocks and sta bars and I kind of think it's not going to be optimal if not used that way. I don't know what stance is but my car sits level with the FR3 suspension kit.

BTW, I have the complete PP suspension still sitting in my basement, zero market for that stuff.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
I don't want to get into a pissin' match or anything, but the PP shocks are not designed to be used with the Ford Racing springs. My understanding is the pp springs are 165/728 and the Ford Racing track springs are 250/913. The FR3 springs are progressive and the PP ones are linear. Very different setups.

I suspect the PP shocks are going to be overwhelmed by the added stiffness of the FR3 springs. I have the FR3 kit on my car and I wouldn't even consider using the PP shocks with those springs, the shocks in the FR3 kit are quite different than the PP ones. It was engineered as complete package with spring, shocks and sta bars and I kind of think it's not going to be optimal if not used that way. I don't know what stance is but my car sits level with the FR3 suspension kit.

BTW, I have the complete PP suspension still sitting in my basement, zero market for that stuff.
Hi JDee -

Thanks for the response and I agree with you 100% regarding the Ford Racing/Track springs. I have the Ford Performance street springs on my car (M-5300-X). These are the spring in the street handling pack (M-FR3A-MAA). The rest of the pack is all PP parts. See the note in this link..
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-FR3A-MAA

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cheers

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Ah-h-h-h, OK. I made the assumption it was the track springs you had. My apologies. TBH, I didn't even know that FR had a street kit. From the '"racing" division of the company, that seems odd.

On another note, after staring at the picture of your car I would swear that your rear tires appear to have larger diameter than the fronts. Is that an illusion? I'm not at all positive they are different, the data from eyeballs about to enter their 7th decade can be difficult to interpret at times!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
Ah-h-h-h, OK. I made the assumption it was the track springs you had. My apologies. TBH, I didn't even know that FR had a street kit. From the '"racing" division of the company, that seems odd.

On another note, after staring at the picture of your car I would swear that your rear tires appear to have larger diameter than the fronts. Is that an illusion? I'm not at all positive they are different, the data from eyeballs about to enter their 7th decade can be difficult to interpret at times!
No worries! My apologies if my original post wasn‘t clear on what springs I was referring too.

They are the factory 19in PP wheels. Must be the sun and shadows giving an illusion. After looking at the picture again I see what you mean. :)

1 old racer

Too blessed to be stressed and old track whore,
Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
here are a few pics of mine when I installed my FP track setup. However I did add a .25" steeda spring spacer in the rear. With that the rear only dropped about .625" and the front 1". Sense then I have changed wheels but like you Nick, I really did like this setup.

NES_1920.jpg

NES_1892.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
here are a few pics of mine when I installed my FP track setup. However I did add a .25" steeda spring spacer in the rear. With that the rear only dropped about .625" and the front 1". Sense then I have changed wheels but like you Nick, I really did like this setup.
Thank you, your car looks great!!

Yeah, the camera lens is simply closer to the rear wheel, that’s all.

TMO Supporting Vendors