The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford performance steering wheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
For those of you who switched to the ford performance wheel how did you retain the steering wheel controls. Especially those with 13-14’s.

Thanks

I ditched the controls that are for the radio and other useless crap. I kept the ones to adjust steering feel, reset mileage, reset oil changes etc etc.

I removed the clock spring, electical taped it so it would not separate, or turn. Then I zip tied that under the steering column. My controls are zip tied to a wire harness near the OBDII port (near the top of the driver kick panel)

its really easy once you look at it for a minute.

(I did not use the ford performance wheel, I went with a 350mm Personal wheel)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
I ditched the controls that are for the radio and other useless crap. I kept the ones to adjust steering feel, reset mileage, reset oil changes etc etc.

I removed the clock spring, electical taped it so it would not separate, or turn. Then I zip tied that under the steering column. My controls are zip tied to a wire harness near the OBDII port (near the top of the driver kick panel)

its really easy once you look at it for a minute.

(I did not use the ford performance wheel, I went with a 350mm Personal wheel)

Could you take some pictures of it and pm them to me? I get what your saying but would just like to visualize it.

When you remove the factory steering wheel, and mount whichever hub you have, its easy to visualize. You will see.

just remember to tape the clock spring in place so the two halves do not separate, or fall apart while its up under the steering column.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
I had it installed and managed to retain all functions of the steering wheel buttons. Taped the clock spring and had it under the dash and wiring was long enough to keep all buttons.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
I had it installed and managed to retain all functions of the steering wheel buttons. Taped the clock spring and had it under the dash and wiring was long enough to keep all buttons.

This post is a bit confusing. How did you keep all steering controls in a swap to a Ford Racing wheel?

Can you share a few pictures of your setup?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
I don't have any pictures of the wiring harness. The wiring for the steering wheel buttons is quite long. You just route the wiring up and put the buttons on the dash with velcro. Now you will need either a quick disconnect wire or stretchy trans brake wire for the horn and that's about it really. Once you remove the clock spring and lower dash you'll see there's a ton of room there.

The picture is before i put the velcro on buttons and put right on the dash

Attachments

• 2178D766-E218-4DBC-BDC8-2144F001ACAC.jpeg
    2178D766-E218-4DBC-BDC8-2144F001ACAC.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 108
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
So you were able to extend the steering wheel controls out of the column and place them on the dash using the existing wiring. Great work and thank you for your photo.

Where i had the clock spring basically behind the light switch i didn't need to extend any wiring which i thought was great. Now keep in mind you may both sets of buttons on one side which didn't bother me at all.

I'll be reinstalling the setup in the wife's car once she gives me permission to as well :)

TMO Supporting Vendors