The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Performance Trans Scoop - MT82

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
I've seen a few comments here and there about this but nothing definitive. Is the Ford MT82 trans scoop worth getting for track use or is it a waste of money?
Thanks in advance!
A trans cooler would be ideal but it is definitely better than nothing, I noticed a significant decrease in the heat coming through my center console and shifter after installing the trans scoop.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I have one and yes its worth it. Std on LS Boss. Only thing is you have to remove it to change oil unless you have some way of directing oil away from it on Sn197. Im not sure on SN550 cars cause the scoop looks different

I'm too lazy to do that! I have a real big oil drain pan, would probably just open 'er up and let it drool down the scoop into the pan for 24 hours or so, then wipe the scoop off! Or maybe you can't get at the oil drain bolt with the scoop on there?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We were told ( at the Mustang Roundup years back) by one of the Lead Engineers on the Boss 302 Project that the scoop made a significant change in tranny temp and even the simple shape was checked with different variations. Never saw my tranny get hot on either my 2012 or 2013 street Bosses , but I did change fluid more often than most.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Thank you all for your input!
I'm new to this and only doing HPDE events at the moment so I doubt my tranny is getting all that hot but I like the peace of mind.

As this car is also my daily, any concern of the scoop hanging too low and scraping on speed bumps or anything? Or should I only have it on for track days?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Thank you all for your input!
I'm new to this and only doing HPDE events at the moment so I doubt my tranny is getting all that hot but I like the peace of mind.

As this car is also my daily, any concern of the scoop hanging too low and scraping on speed bumps or anything? Or should I only have it on for track days?
Your trans is probably getting hotter than you realize, I build up lots of heat even on winding road drives and noticed a big improvement there too, not just on the track.
For that reason I leave mine on all the time but it does hang low, you will need to take that into consideration going over speed bumps and up steep driveways. If you don't do any aggressive driving off the track then it might be good peace of mind to swap it back and forth.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Steeda claims that at least the 2018+ MT-82's don't need trans cooling, apparently. Any thoughts on this?
Well there are differences in the transmission itself as well as the obvious fascia and other aero differences, it is possible that the 2018+ don't need it!
I'd rather have the scoop for the track to be on the safe side to protect our fragile transmissions, and make your fluid last longer. Plus, the desert heat here is so intense, I doubt even Florida compares, and unless you're chasing hundredths the extra weight is insignificant compared to just the brace. In that case the only real reason not to have it is for clearance and cost. I think it might pay for itself in trans fluid in a couple seasons, not to mention prolonging MT-82 life.
Does your car monitor trans fluid temp? If so, what temps have you seen so far?

I'm too lazy to do that! I have a real big oil drain pan, would probably just open 'er up and let it drool down the scoop into the pan for 24 hours or so, then wipe the scoop off! Or maybe you can't get at the oil drain bolt with the scoop on there?

The drain plug on 197 is just above the leading edge of the scoop and since I just use ramps with the car at angle it will cause oil to drain into the scoop and make a big mess. If your on a lift and car is level perhaps not.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I've used them both and never had any issues with either. Sold them both but have a unused one NIB that I was thinking of modifying since it won't fit with my BMR K-Member. Eventually I'll go another route so PM me if you're interested.

Monaca Pa
What is a high temp for my MT82 Transmision? I bought the Ford scoop and installed a transmission gauge but need to find a place for the sending unit.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Now if only someone could figure a way to mount it with the BMR K-member... I did contact BMR but they offered no solution. I figured I'd have to find another mounting point and weld on some different mounting arms. Never enough tyme in the world to get to all the things I'd like to do. Perhaps I'll find a remote cooling system for the tranny. Right now it's the only part of the system I worry about temps on the track.

Now if only someone could figure a way to mount it with the BMR K-member... I did contact BMR but they offered no solution. I figured I'd have to find another mounting point and weld on some different mounting arms. Never enough tyme in the world to get to all the things I'd like to do. Perhaps I'll find a remote cooling system for the tranny. Right now it's the only part of the system I worry about temps on the track.

TS, I had same issue with the BMR K-member on my 2013 Boss LS. I fabricated a cross brace (which it didn't have originally) welded on mounting tabs, and bolted on an aluminum scoop which I fabricated from 7075-T6 aluminum. Lots of work but worth it. I designed it so that the angle & height is adjustable. Oil can be changed without dropping it. See attached picture and PM me if you want more info.

Boss302_BMR_TransBrace&CoolerScoop_3.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel