The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Performance Trans Scoop - MT82

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Curious if anyone else on here has tested the break away strength of the FP M-5025-MBT transmission cooler scoop? My results show that 72 mph into the loamy Buttonwillow dirt will get the job done. Had what should have been a relatively uneventful off yesterday, however the scoop dug in, breaking clean on both sides right near the mounting studs. The bottom side of the transmission took a pretty good shot, and my x-pipe has a dent and small puncture as well. Luckily it didn’t hit anything else on the way out or crack the transmission case, etc. Probably the most concerning thing at this point is the k-member is bent on both sides where the mounting studs are. Alignment seems fine, as I made the 175 mile drive back last night and the car tracks straight, so I think it’s just the sheet metal mounting area that’s pushed up and back a bit.

The scoop definitely makes a difference in temps, so I hate to run without it, but it’s got me second guessing it now. I guess in my mind I thought the scoop would break away from the brace if it took a hard enough shot - never expected it to break the brace in 2 places while bending the k-member.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Curious if anyone else on here has tested the break away strength of the FP M-5025-MBT transmission cooler scoop? My results show that 72 mph into the loamy Buttonwillow dirt will get the job done. Had what should have been a relatively uneventful off yesterday, however the scoop dug in, breaking clean on both sides right near the mounting studs. The bottom side of the transmission took a pretty good shot, and my x-pipe has a dent and small puncture as well. Luckily it didn’t hit anything else on the way out or crack the transmission case, etc. Probably the most concerning thing at this point is the k-member is bent on both sides where the mounting studs are. Alignment seems fine, as I made the 175 mile drive back last night and the car tracks straight, so I think it’s just the sheet metal mounting area that’s pushed up and back a bit.

The scoop definitely makes a difference in temps, so I hate to run without it, but it’s got me second guessing it now. I guess in my mind I thought the scoop would break away from the brace if it took a hard enough shot - never expected it to break the brace in 2 places while bending the k-member.
Glad to hear the transmission is undamaged.

Zip ties next time? I know that's ghetto but those should hold it on and also tear off easily if it hit something

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
What is a high temp for my MT82 Transmision? I bought the Ford scoop and installed a transmission gauge but need to find a place for the sending unit.
Curious about how you installed your transmission sending unit? I'm thinking about installing one in the drain plug port but worried that it'll be vulnerable to taking a hit.

Monaca Pa
Curious about how you installed your transmission sending unit? I'm thinking about installing one in the drain plug port but worried that it'll be vulnerable to taking a hit.
That’s where I put my sending unit. My car sits real low and so far has not had any problems with it hitting anything.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)

I'm considering installing one of these, your post has me thinking it might be a good idea to drill some holes around the scoop to brace welds and give it a place to fail in the event...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel