The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing BBS 18x10 questions along with tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

So I am looking at the Ford Racing 18x10 BBS wheels and as stated, I just have a few questions about them. From what I can tell in my research, the 5/8th studs are not needed, that the factory studs are good to go with the wheels. So now I am curious if a spacer is needed since I have the factory Brembos on the car. I haven't been able to find an answer to that question really. I'm assuming since no one really makes mention of it that they never needed it. Is there anything else I am forgetting? Do I need to adjust the camber or anything like that to fit these?

Thank you! ;D

The 18 x 10 BBS wheels clear the OEM Brembos w/o a spacer.

Unless you have hogged out the strut mounting holes to increase negative camber, increasing negative camber via caster-camber plates has no impact on the wheel to strut clearance.

A ~1/4" spacer may be needed for clearance with the OEM Tokico struts, typically the wheel-strut clearance w/o a spacer is small. You'll need longer studs when you use a spacer.

302R%20Wheels%20001.jpg

The lug nut cone seat on these wheels is machined to a 45 degree angle instead of 60 degrees used with the OEM wheels and most after market wheels. The lug nuts recommended by Ford Performance are Allstar Performance lug nut Part # ALL44102. These lug nuts are for 1/2 inch studs and require a 1-inch socket. Summit Racing sells the Allstar lug nuts.

The metal valve stem BBS supplies with the wheel is a smaller diameter (8.3 mm) than is used with most other wheels (11.3 mm). If you want to install the more common metal stem diameter valve stem that is compatible with Ford TPMS sensors you will need to drill out the wheel's valve stem hole. BBS made a 8.3 mm diameter valve stem (BBS part 9.15.094) for the Beru TPMS sensors. These valve stems could be used with the Ford TPMS sensors if you enlarged the mounting hole on the sensor to accommodate the larger diameter Beru mounting screw. BBS has discontinued making this part.

BBS-9_15_094-TPMS%20Valve%20Stem-8%20mm.jpg

Oh wow! That just might be one of the most informative posts I have seen! I will read it and digest it. Maybe BBS knows where I might find one.

With these wheels, you may require a spacer, depending on the section width of the tire you mount on it.

I'd also like to point out that if you track these wheels, please be very careful to warm the tires up prior to hard cornering. These wheels have a less invasive method of seating the tire bead than some others and if you are running extremely low starting pressures (which is probably what you are going to need to do) you can roll the tire off of the wheel.Don't get me wrong, it's a good quality wheel, but the finish is very slick and the bead design more suited to street use. We use these on the Porsche because it is a spec wheel for that car, DO NOT start with less than 17.5 psi in that wheel.

blacksheep-1 said:
I'd also like to point out that if you track these wheels, please be very careful to warm the tires up prior to hard cornering. These wheels have a less invasive method of seating the tire bead than some others and if you are running extremely low starting pressures (which is probably what you are going to need to do) you can roll the tire off of the wheel.Don't get me wrong, it's a good quality wheel, but the finish is very slick and the bead design more suited to street use. We use these on the Porsche because it is a spec wheel for that car, DO NOT start with less than 17.5 psi in that wheel.

I have to say in all of my reading, I have never heard of that so thank you for the info Rob!

TMO Supporting Vendors