The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Brake Cooling Duct Clearance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui
mcmmotorsports said:
What is the secret? I have rubbing at lock to lock on both sides.

Did you zip tie down your brake ducts? what rim and tire size are you running in the front? I had a little rubbing as well with stock rims and tires, but I wrapped some electrical tape around those areas to prevent wear...

Pictures of your attachment/routing would help. But my guess is the hoses are not attached to the lower side of the swaybar.

Here's a link to the how to post. https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=773.0

See NFSBOSS post #6 picture 16 for proper routing. Note how the hose is routed on the bottom side of the swaybar.

I'll take pictures the next time my car is on jack stands. If you take a look at step 19 in the instructions below, I believe that it shows that they trimmed the plastic for more clearance for the ducts. I also have squeezed my brake ducts for more clearance.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstM-2004-MB_2012.pdf

I have my 3" cooling ducts routed along the bottom side of the front sway bar, the ducting squished (ovaled) at the touch points and zip tied and I get a little bit of rubbing with 285's on a 10" wheel with +35mm offset and a 5mm spacer. Not a lot of rubbing but enough to wear away a small arera to expose 2-3 hose coils. My wheel/tire package comes out to about the factory overall diameter (~27"), but I could see going with a smaller overall diameter (25.5"-26.5"; which most 18" race tires are around) helping with clearances. I'm really wondering what combination is needed to fit a 10" wide wheel and a tire in the 285-305mm range and not rub the cooling ducts... 30mm offset wheels and a 5mm spacer?

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Got it all fixed up. Didn't realize you had to remove the alternator shield. Once I got that out, moved all hoses UNDER the sway bar, I have about 1" on each side. Thanks guys!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
mcmmotorsports said:
Got it all fixed up. Didn't realize you had to remove the alternator shield. Once I got that out, moved all hoses UNDER the sway bar, I have about 1" on each side. Thanks guys!

Yeah I cut the shield first then just removed. Worked well. Glad you got it in ok!!

HackBoss302 said:
Your welcome, although I just pointed out what others have posted. I'm not much on forums, but the group here on BMO is by far the best group on the net. BMO is one well organized and moderated site.
Thanks Hack. The moderators and I appreciate comments like this. Stay tuned for new S550 Mustang and GT350 forums coming your way soon.

TMO Supporting Vendors