The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Cobra Jet Intake Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I too have the CJ intake, my previous motor with Boss intake and AED tune I was at 406 rwhp on a mustang dyno. With new motor with stock upper half of the motor, CJ intake, Kooks 1 7/8" headers and AED CJ tune I made 443 on the same dyno using 100 octane race fuel

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
TMSBOSS said:
Steve. Do you have base line numbers for your original GT setup? If so, same dyno?
Baseline GT with Steeda CAI and Brenspeed tune was 379/400, Boss 302 mani and Steeda tune was 403/389, Boss 302 with Steeda Tune, BBK 85mm throttle body, and Steeda Boss CAI and ARH headers was 431/390, CJ Intake with SCJ Mono blade TB, Ford CAI and the headers 449/407. All numbers on same Dyno-Jet SAE 5 smoothing.
Steve

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
steveespo said:
Baseline GT with Steeda CAI and Brenspeed tune was 379/400, Boss 302 mani and Steeda tune was 403/389, Boss 302 with Steeda Tune, BBK 85mm throttle body, and Steeda Boss CAI and ARH headers was 431/390, CJ Intake with SCJ Mono blade TB, Ford CAI and the headers 449/407. All numbers on same Dyno-Jet SAE 5 smoothing.
Steve

Assuming the Steeda CAI and tune netted 15-20 HP, the addition of the CJ intake, CAI and TB, LTs and a tune would have been worth 85HP on the base GT. Cool. Thanks!!

Ordered the kit at TASCA
http://www.tascaparts.com/air-metering/cobra-jet-intake-power-up-kit-2011-2014-mustang/m-9000-m50cj/
With reworked exhaust and MM K-member, I have enough to keep me busy this winter...Lol

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Power Up kit that includes all the hardware needed to add a Cobra Jet intake manifold to your 2011-2014 5.0L Coyote-powered Mustang GT! Kit includes:
M-9424-M50CJ Cobra Jet intake manifold
M-9926-CJ65 Billet Throttle Body - dual 65mm
M-9603-M50CJ Cobra Jet Cold Air Intake

HELP NEEDED
gallery_12429_213_635877.jpg

gallery_12429_213_1637916.jpg

gallery_12429_213_240987.jpg

My CJ intake installation was straightforward except for the connection between the OEM engine harness and the short TB kit provided harness.
Even taking the small adapter away they dont plug in.
Is there a simple way?
Thank you!

You should have received another plug with your kit. You need to remove the stock harness one and install the new one provided with the kit. You can find the Ford CJ Intake instructions on the Ford Performance website here:
https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-9424-M50CJ_.pdf

Good luck.
r,
Bill

THANK YOU BILL!
Did not have (or maybe dumped at unpacking) the instruction sheet with the harness plug swap.
Looks I am all set to ask for an AED tune now :)

voodoo child21 said:
I am at 449 with GT cams and heads plus SCJ throttle body, FRPP CAI and American Racing 1 7/8" headers. AED 93 octane road race tune. CJ is great and will pick up power over Boss but needs the support of headers and a good tune to maximize output.

So you are using GT (NOT Boss) heads and got those numbers? Thats great. I never looked into this much but I assumed that my car (starting life as a GT) would not benefit from the CJ mani due to the heads. Thats great news.

voodoo child21 said:
I am at 449 with GT cams and heads plus SCJ throttle body, FRPP CAI and American Racing 1 7/8" headers. AED 93 octane road race tune. CJ is great and will pick up power over Boss but needs the support of headers and a good tune to maximize output.
Steve,
So you are running 93 octane fuel?
Not racing fuel?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
I just added the CJ package to wifes auto GT. As for power is plenty for her to get into trouble with. Surprisingly it fit under a stock boss strut tower brace as well. Car seems to have power everywhere even with 315 gears.

Sorry again for bringing this up.

Has anyone done just a CJ Intake, Monoblade, and CAI WITHOUT longtubes?

I currently have a Steeda CAI, cat deletes, and an AED tune. The people I've talked to and forums I've read claim 10hp with longtubes over my cat deletes. The HP/dollar just isn't working for me.

Thanks....

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
patrickshelby said:
Steve,
So you are running 93 octane fuel?
Not racing fuel?

Yes dyno was done on 93. I mix in 100 or 98 racing unleaded at the track sometimes.
Yes the gains when I added CJ to my GT longblock with Boss mani and ARH 1 7/8" longtubes was 26 RWHP and 13 lb/ft torque. The Coyote loves open exhaust and needs more air to feed it.

2012Boss302 said:
Sorry again for bringing this up.

Has anyone done just a CJ Intake, Monoblade, and CAI WITHOUT longtubes?

I currently have a Steeda CAI, cat deletes, and an AED tune. The people I've talked to and forums I've read claim 10hp with longtubes over my cat deletes. The HP/dollar just isn't working for me.

Thanks....

On my other car 2011 Mustang GT/CS, I added S&W headers after installing the CJ and 65MM dual TB with Power by the Hour CAI. I gained 15 whp and 12 torque. No other modification. No cats and custom 3" pipe exhaust with Magnaflow straight though mufflers. 415 whp stock headers to 430whp 379 torque (SAE 5 smoothing) with headers. Untouched internals 2011 Coyote motor.
Was making 400 whp 363 torque with my ported Boss intake on oem manifolds and exhaust as noted above. Also all 93 octane. Only gained 4-6hp on MS109.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
2012Boss302 said:
So would it be better to do the headers first, then the CJ manifold??

I was going through this same debate last year before my stock headers cracked, but my friends at Ford said you want to do headers first, if you can't do both at the same time.

Last track outing after the car sitting in the rain most of the day, the car threw a P061B code upon start up and ran like crap. Code reset fine and car ran great after the reset. Reading up, it points to moisture getting to the MAF sensor. Interestingly enough, this past winter I found some corrosion in the Cobra Jet CAI aluminum air filter velocity stack. Anyone else have issues with possible water/moisture intrusion into the CAI on this setup?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Not the first I've heard of corrosion. I'll be getting my velocity stack coated at some point. Water intrusion has been a minor issue on all the intakes I've ran on this car, even stock. Coming out of a car wash, the car has always reacted like the maf had water reach it since the first week I've owned it. On track that could be more of an issue, but I've not really driven the car in heavy rain on track.

Has anyone with the SCJ throttle body notice its pretty loud on the motors? I thought I was losing a bearing somewhere, but its just the actuator humming aggressively while at idle.

TMO Supporting Vendors