The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Front Bumper Support Beam (help install)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well long story short I'm trying to reduce some front end weight on my car and this is one of the parts I got a killer deal on ebay brand new for $165.00 shipped. I order the tow hook loop and was going to try and install this soon but I have no directions and hardware. was wondering if anyone know's what hardware I need to bolt it to the bumper and where or how to mark for the cutting the front bumper. Be nice If I had everything ready before I start tearing it down. Looks like I need a total of 8 bolts 4 per side.
I plan to install this with JLT brake cooling kit, steeda light weight rad support, poly engine mounts, steeda water pump pulley.
any input would be great thanks I have attached a link for reference.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-front-tubular-bumper-reinforcement-0514.html

Tulsa, OK
The stock beam has 4 bolts per side that you can re-use on the new beam. Once the bolts are off, you'll have to the cut the stock beam off of the frame. There are two spot welds on each side that need to be cut loose but they aren't exactly easy to get to. Install took me about 3 hours.

Definitely drop Tri-bar a PM for the template to cut the bumper. I used it on mine and it came out great.

roadhouse said:
The stock beam has 4 bolts per side that you can re-use on the new beam. Once the bolts are off, you'll have to the cut the stock beam off of the frame. There are two spot welds on each side that need to be cut loose but they aren't exactly easy to get to. Install took me about 3 hours.

Definitely drop Tri-bar a PM for the template to cut the bumper. I used it on mine and it came out great.

Ok cool thanks you, as for cutting tools will a sawzail work maybe a circle air saw..?

Most of the spot welds can be easily drilled out - they're about 3/8" diameter. I remember that I had a little trouble getting one out due to access, and used an angle drill with a short bit to get it.

Steve

I got your PM, send me a E-mail to send the template to. I used a saw, cut on the side across the bumper though the welds . Drilling the double sheet support will work too, you can see the spots to drill like they have said. Again, take your time go slow.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
This thread was very helpful with my FRPP bumper install but I have a new question now, does anyone have photos of how they installed their Watson radiator enclosure. Clearly the rivets will keep the shape around the cooler lines and bar, but I have no idea how the rear holes are to mount to the car for structural rigidity. Are people zip tying them to the radiator brace or mounting them to something else in that area?

I have the Watson 302S build photo and it was no help for the actual mounting portion, just orientation. I also called Watson and was told “any competent race shop will be able to figure it out.” Clearly I am not a race shop and must be lacking competency.

Thanks

000D32B2-35D2-4788-B6AD-2B9DE907A2BB.jpeg84BB27A6-2728-442B-A0D9-EFDFD134F3DE.jpeg54BF1229-6F75-4D08-94E7-9E8C83B4A96F.jpeg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel