The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing front hub question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I have 'clicker' torque wrenches in 100, 250, and 300 ft*lb and a little clicker (250 in*lbs). Beam-style torque wrenches in 150 ft*lb and 150 in*lb that can't go out of calibration without showing visible damage.

From time to time I have checked the 100 and 250 ft*lb wrenches against the 150 ft*lb beam torque wrench I've had since the 1960s.

Norm

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Our local tire shop bolted wheels on my Boss. I took it home and checked the torque. All were loose. I saw them use a torque wrench and gave them the torque spec. I let them know all were loose and they should have their wrenches checked. That was news to them. Got a call about a week later. They threw out their old wrenches since all were 10-18% LOW. Have your stuff checked guys. Many of the mobile tool trucks have the ability to check on the spot. I replaced my Craftsman a few years back. I bought CDI, they build the Snap-on wrenches now.

Our local tire shop bolted wheels on my Boss. I took it home and checked the torque. All were loose. I saw them use a torque wrench and gave them the torque spec. I let them know all were loose and they should have their wrenches checked. That was news to them. Got a call about a week later. They threw out their old wrenches since all were 10-18% LOW. Have your stuff checked guys. Many of the mobile tool trucks have the ability to check on the spot. I replaced my Craftsman a few years back. I bought CDI, they build the Snap-on wrenches now.
a lot of those guys use a "torque bar" for lack of a better term. Basically, they are the extension that the socket mounts on, they come in different colors for different torque settings.
I prefer the "clicker" type, but when setting bearing preload on a pinion bearing the beam type works best.
and don't forget to "unwind" those clicker wrenches so the spring won't take a set when you're done

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have a set of the torque bars. I have not had issues with them....just hard for me to trust them. I always torque after. Preloads and clickers don't mix well. Have seen it done, don't like it. Clicks below load and does not click above load. Nope, don't like that.

I have a set of the torque bars. I have not had issues with them....just hard for me to trust them. I always torque after. Preloads and clickers don't mix well. Have seen it done, don't like it. Clicks below load and does not click above load. Nope, don't like that.
Yep, mostly for production type shops, not race car related

TMO Supporting Vendors