The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing GT500 6 piston brake kit M-2300-T VS Roush/stoptech 4 Piston

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA
Hi guys,
I'm wondering the pros/cons with each kit. M-2300-T effectively puts 13/14 GT500 PP brakes in the front and back and the roush kit is just a front brake upgrade. What I'm trying to figure out, is considering the "tuning" of the factory ABS, is it better to use the 4 piston roush kit? the car was designed with a 4 piston caliper, so my thought is I'm not changing anything from the car's perspective other than a much higher quality caliper. I guess what I've read here are the stock calipers are adequate, but with good pads and fluid they are capable. what I want is i don't want to have to even think about burning piston seals, stripping bleeders, or stripping the calipers themselves. I want a no worry brake upgrade. also, as pointed out in the "front brake upgrade" sticky, brake pad availability with the stop techs (assuming they are the same ones that were installed in that thread, only with roush name on side) I may use to 18" wheels, and from what i understand that might make the M-2300-T kit a no go. Also, that kit is heavy as well.
Thoughts?

MA
http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/Ford-Mustang-Front-Brake-Kit-High-Performance-2005-2012.html

also, is this the same kit that voodoo boss installed?

93cobra said:
Hi guys,
I'm wondering the pros/cons with each kit. M-2300-T effectively puts 13/14 GT500 PP brakes in the front and back and the roush kit is just a front brake upgrade. What I'm trying to figure out, is considering the "tuning" of the factory ABS, is it better to use the 4 piston roush kit? the car was designed with a 4 piston caliper, so my thought is I'm not changing anything from the car's perspective other than a much higher quality caliper. I guess what I've read here are the stock calipers are adequate, but with good pads and fluid they are capable. what I want is i don't want to have to even think about burning piston seals, stripping bleeders, or stripping the calipers themselves. I want a no worry brake upgrade. also, as pointed out in the "front brake upgrade" sticky, brake pad availability with the stop techs (assuming they are the same ones that were installed in that thread, only with roush name on side) I may use to 18" wheels, and from what i understand that might make the M-2300-T kit a no go. Also, that kit is heavy as well.
Thoughts?

I have the M-2300-TA brake kit installed on my 2013 Boss LS and it's great. I saved up to spring for the 2300-TA kit with the 2 piece rotors since it was economically better in the long run (saved over $600.00 bucks buying the rotors as part of the kit rather than on their own). Trust me when I say this, I did extensive research before buying this kit. I spoke with a couple of engineers at ford racing, not just the tech hotline guys. This kit was tested and verified to integrate with the existing brake booster (both the boss and 2013-14 gt500 have the same brake booster) and ABS, traction control algorithms. I went with this kit for the increase in braking performance as well as the ability to service it with off the shelf parts for the life of the vehicle. There are even race pad options for the front calipers now and the choices for this application is ever growing. For the cost and performance, this kit, in my opinion, is the way to go. I would enhance the performance of the system by including Goodridge brake lines (part #12367) since ford racing sends stock rubber lines with this kit. Let me know if you have any more questions....

MA
Mad302 said:
Voodoo had this on his Boss

http://cortexracing.com/product/stoptech-str40-355-x-35mm-s197-spec-mustang-brake-system/

correct, but what I'm trying to figure out is if the roush kit is the same thing, just rebadged roush instead of stop tech. I have an inquiry into roush to see if the rotors are the same measurement.

The Roush kit looks similar to the standard Stoptech BBK.

MA
VoodooBOSS said:
The Roush kit looks similar to the standard Stoptech BBK.
which is the same as you had correct? you say "standard" meaning the ST40 calipers vs the fancy STR40 that the link posted in the sticky goes to, is that correct?

MA
ok perfect. that makes sense. the stoptech website shows the 4 piston kit with 2 pc rotors as being 355 X 32. I don't see that wider rotor as an option on their website, so its possible something cortex put together on their own with the wider rotors. The key for me is to find out which size the rotors are that the roush kit contains. How did you like the kit? did you notice any improvement, or did it work out as just being more durable setup?

OP, do you disable all nannies at the track?
If so, have you considered swapping to the 302S ABS module first, before spending big bucks on a brake caliper kit?

I understand the ABS module changes the characteristics of the brakes, giving a more confident feel along with increasing rear brake bias. This is my plan before going to bigger brakes.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
F.D. Sako said:
If so, have you considered swapping to the 302S ABS module first, before spending big bucks on a brake caliper kit?

I understand the ABS module changes the characteristics of the brakes, giving a more confident feel along with increasing rear brake bias. This is my plan before going to bigger brakes.

Yes you are correct going to the 302S ABS module makes a huge difference. I still have the stock calipers and have yet to have any braking issues during my track time which is the only place I drive my Boss

MA
F.D. Sako said:

I don't disable anything at the track, I use trackey...I am trying to stay as close to stock as possible, I just am looking for something more durable/dependable. I only do a few track days per year but i just feel like based on alot of the experiences of guys on here the front calipers are marginal, but can be almost worked around with better pads, shims bleeder inserts, etc...almost like band aids to cover up the stock caliper's shortcomings, which is why I feel like a high quality 4 piston caliper is the least intrusive upgrade... Maybe its more piece of mind and less about actual improvement. I understand the ABS module is cheaper, but again, it seems like working around the real Achilles heel of the factory setup. Also,as for the GT500 kit, there are a few cons that I have, including potential wheel fitment down the road, weight, and having to pull the rear axles out and change the rear brakes. doing an upgrade like Voodoo Boss seems to meet my criteria,and I can understand why he did it.

The Roush kit you have listed is not much better than the Brembo brakes you currently have on your car. The only improvement is the two piece rotor because of the reduced weight and a set of braided lines. You could buy a set of two piece rotors and braded lines (front AND rear lines) for of your car for less than $1000.00. Do not forget that the Roush pads are not race pads and won't hold up to heavy track abuse.

If you are set on buying a brake kit, the only thing I would consider are the Ford Racing kit(s) out of the options / price range you have listed.

Based on your description of how you use the vehicle, I would buy decent race pads for the front and rear of the vehicle, braded steel lines, replace the brake fluid with a good DOT 4 such as Motul or Castrol SRF, and install the Ford Racing brake duct kit.

Once you do the above, which you will need to do with any BBK, I think you will be more than happy with the factory brakes.

MA
I'm interested if voodooboss feels the same way about the calipers. I was under the impression the stop tech was a forged caliper and is a definite improvement over stock.

Cobra,
have you tried the route of improved brake lines, fluid, pads, and a 2 piece front rotor? With the addition of cooling hoses, you will be pleasantly surprised with the results and still be able to stay within the "stock parts" box (18' wheel fitment, ect). This would also be the most economical......

you could go with this kit here:

https://fordracingpartsbydonwood.com/chassis-parts/brake-kits-components/2005-2014-mustang-gt-14-svt-brake-upgrade-kit-w-2-piece-rotors-m-2300-sa/

good deal for 1600 bucks.

You get a " spare"set of calipers to be put on the shelf to save you the worry about replacing seals and the like. Add some great fluid (I recommend Brembo LCF 600/change it once a year or so...) and pads and your good to go.

Just buying these rotors and lines by themselves is a grand.

MA
I actually work at a ford racing and a roush dealer, so I can do pretty well with either option. Right now I use motul 600 fluid, and have the frpp brake cooling ducts. I am appreciating all the responses and its definitely giving me a lot to consider!

93cobra said:
I actually work at a ford racing and a roush dealer, so I can do pretty well with either option. Right now I use motul 600 fluid, and have the frpp brake cooling ducts. I am appreciating all the responses and its definitely giving me a lot to consider!
heck, you can more than likely even beat the prices I listed. :D

2012-Boss said:
The Roush kit you have listed is not much better than the Brembo brakes you currently have on your car. The only improvement is the two piece rotor because of the reduced weight and a set of braided lines. You could buy a set of two piece rotors and braded lines (front AND rear lines) for of your car for less than $1000.00. Do not forget that the Roush pads are not race pads and won't hold up to heavy track abuse.

If you are set on buying a brake kit, the only thing I would consider are the Ford Racing kit(s) out of the options / price range you have listed.

Based on your description of how you use the vehicle, I would buy decent race pads for the front and rear of the vehicle, braded steel lines, replace the brake fluid with a good DOT 4 such as Motul or Castrol SRF, and install the Ford Racing brake duct kit.

Once you do the above, which you will need to do with any BBK, I think you will be more than happy with the factory brakes.
Cobra, for your minimal track use I would follow the recommendations above and go run some track days and see how you like it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel