The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing GT500 6 piston brake kit M-2300-T VS Roush/stoptech 4 Piston

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think the stock calipers hold up really well to track abuse. The mentioned upgrades (pads, titanium shield, as braided lines, DOT4 fluid) are all things you'd want to do even if you get the bigger calipers.

If I were in your position, I'd do the upgrades and pass on the upgraded calipers. Unless, you want them for cosmetic reasons, then with your discount, go for it!

F.D. Sako said:
I think the stock calipers hold up really well to track abuse. The mentioned upgrades (pads, titanium shield, as braided lines, DOT4 fluid) are all things you'd want to do even if you get the bigger calipers.

If I were in your position, I'd do the upgrades and pass on the upgraded calipers. Unless, you want them for cosmetic reasons, then with your discount, go for it!

Agreed. I have the M2300T on my car and the OE pads did not cut track duty. Pads and rotors for the front are $$$$, and not much choice. More availability with your stock Boss setup, and cheaper.

FWIW - APEX 18x10" wheels do fit over the M2300T.

F.D. Sako said:

+1 - As do the stock rotors - I track 8 to 10 days a year and abuse the 302's brakes pretty hard. I too considered the 6 pot upgrade but I run 18's and the clearance would be very tight- I was concerned more about heat soak of the entire system with the larger diameter and tight clearances, so stuck with the stock 4 pot. Good track pads run around 325 on the front and last about 3-5 days, stock rotors about 3/4 season and 125 each - I change them out when the heat checks are looking bad (worn but never grooved), Pagid RBF fluid runs about $ 45 to flush per track event. Rear pads have never been an issue as the stock ABS really ignores them so they last forever, at least with all assists off (TC on and I have read here that the rears can go pretty quickly). I also run the Ti shields and braided lines which help add life to the entire system. I inspect the piston dust seals every change and while they're definitely heat checked there's no leakage - I'll change the piston seals and dust shields before this spring - I think the entire set cost about 35 from Centric if I recall - 2yrs without an issue - well except for the bleeder that backed out going into turn 10 at Laguna and started a small fire in the pits! That was operator error !

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
I have the M-2300-TA brake kit installed on my 2013 Boss LS and it's great. I saved up to spring for the 2300-TA kit with the 2 piece rotors since it was economically better in the long run (saved over $600.00 bucks buying the rotors as part of the kit rather than on their own). Trust me when I say this, I did extensive research before buying this kit. I spoke with a couple of engineers at ford racing, not just the tech hotline guys. This kit was tested and verified to integrate with the existing brake booster (both the boss and 2013-14 gt500 have the same brake booster) and ABS, traction control algorithms. I went with this kit for the increase in braking performance as well as the ability to service it with off the shelf parts for the life of the vehicle. There are even race pad options for the front calipers now and the choices for this application is ever growing. For the cost and performance, this kit, in my opinion, is the way to go. I would enhance the performance of the system by including Goodridge brake lines (part #12367) since ford racing sends stock rubber lines with this kit. Let me know if you have any more questions....
Hey BigTaco,old post but i just pieced the 6 piston kit together but dont have torque specs for the ss brake line to cali and the pad retainer bolt...any help thanks.

I'm still on stock Brembo's with G-loc R18 pads, SRF, and cooling ducts. Not failed me yet. Two piece rotors are next. After that, then i may go with a new setup. So far, have not had a single problem. Pads lasted 5 track hours until they were the thickness of the backing plate. That is my threshold for when i change them.

I did however have to (Rather chose to) rebuild the calipers after 6 track hours. But its cheap and easy. It's just the dust boots that were cracked. No leaks or anything.

@antman450 Ti brake shields will help keep the dust boots from cracking too quickly. If you're not driving the car in the rain you may not need to worry about the dust boots. I do not believe the race calipers use the dust boots.

TMO Supporting Vendors