The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing GT500 shields

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So has anyone used these? Would they improve cooling over stock. I'm talking a completely stock car for occasional track days. (Running Dot 4 but still in the old geezer run groups)

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22955

I don't think they will do much and many of us just remove the covers altogether. I think their main goal is to divert water from the rotors.

@ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Those only exist because some sort of "dust cover" is federally-mandated, that is the absolute minimum cover that SVT could get away with. I wouldn't bother.

I'm 98% sure that this is there just to protect the ball joint on the tie rod from heat.......

Most have removed these for track use and/or are using some sort of brake ducting kit. The hose kits bolt in place of any type of rectory shield.......

These were included on the 2013-14 GT500 since there is no room in the front bumper (from the factory) to add any sort of cooling duct. The Diff/trans/oil coolers take up all of the real estate....

Thanks,
Ron V

"These were included on the 2013-14 GT500 since there is no room in the front bumper (from the factory) to add any sort of cooling duct. The Diff/trans/oil coolers take up all of the real estate...."

That makes sense, but guess question is in lieu of a duct set up, does this help with brake cooling? I would think not having the complete dust shield right up close to the rotors would have to help some.

Dave,
it will "help" as far as the rotor can dissipate heat a little better since the dust shield would not be there anymore. If you start to really lean into the brakes, it's not going to do much. It's better than the stock set up but not much of an improvement. One thing to keep in mind, you have to remove the same parts to install either these small shields or brake duct backing plates. I would save up and install an actual brake duct kit. You don't have to go all crazy with carbon fiber backing plates or anything, just pick up an off the shelf kit designed for your car (what year do you have?, boss with factory Brembo's?). I guess my point is, spend or allocate this money somewhere else and you will get a more satisfactory result.

I would also suggest to build a good foundation even though you are running in the "geezer" groups. Stainless lines, good fluid and better pads go along way to making your braking better, safer, and just a more fun and enjoyable experience. For pads, the choices can be mind bending. Just go with a good high performance street pad to start and baseline from that. The stock pads (especially the fronts but the rears as well on "non-boss" cars) are just simply horrible. Even a Hawk Performance HPS (high performance street) is a night and day improvement on the street. Almost every brake vendor/brand has a high performance version replacement pad.

Yes I was just thinking if these would offer any improvement over stock. Install wise only thing less to do is running the duct work and opening up the front panel. That looks like its not a big deal.

I've had plenty of seat time but in a Miata, used to run Hawk HP+ and ATE but obviously a Miata is a completely different game than a Boss and brake cooling was never an issue even when chasing down those pest'y Boxster's

I just had the brake fluid replaced with Motul, stock pads as still like 95% but I will shop around for better pads when the time comes. I saw the Kenny Brown duct setup, the one that directs the air to the center of the rotor hub rather than the surface, that looks like its will work well, and a lot cheaper than the Ford Racing set. There were some others but only listed for 2013 Boss, not sure why they are different.

I worked a HPDE today, there were 2 GT500's there and I managed to get with both drivers during lunch breaks. Both had these type shields as that what comes on the Shelby's as there is no room for ducts. They were running fresh Motul fluid and one guy was on stock pads the other on Carbotech. Neither had any issues with fade even after 30 min sessions. They were running right with vetts and 911's so they were not just running easy This is on a 1.7 mile 11 turn track that's heavy on braking. So it appears that these shields do help with cooling considerably. I'm sure the duct set up is effective but for what I intend the $50. as opposed to almost $400 will be money well spent.

Throughout the years I've realized that "pushing it" is subjective. What group were they in?

Our cars are heavy and you'll definitely experience some sort of brake limitations, especially with stock pads!

If you're set on tracking, put the money aside and save for the ducts.

Advanced group, not novices, both cars running BFG G force R dot compounds. I have many laps on this track over the years and its tough on brakes on heavier cars. I don't mind spending $ but almost $400 bucks for the FFRP set is just way over priced for what you get and for the one or two DE's I do these days.

that's good to hear that the shield is making a difference!

As for the brake duct kit, check out blowfish racing's kit, essentially same as the FRPP kit, but at a more reasonable price.

Unfortunately , the FRPP kits have been discontinued. Get what you can now if you need spare parts. Watson may be willing to make some parts, but it would take a group buy.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel