The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing parts one piece driveshaft for 2011-14 V8 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have been thinking about this as well but still have some questions:
1. Why did Ford go to a two piece drive shaft on these cars? I also have a two piece driveshaft on my 2000, F250 diesel truck which has a mountain of torque but low rpm?
2. Is the two piece more stable at high rpm than a one piece driveshaft? High speed wobble on the one piece?
3. My 3.73 gears are noisy at some speeds so I was thinking a carbon fiber driveshaft would isolate the noise better?
4. Maybe the two piece driveshaft is safer in a rear end collision as it will fold up instead of acting like a spere?
5. I run a steel driveshaft in my drag car as I have seen aluminum drive shafts twist into pretzel shape after many hard launches or slight denting.
I am still on the fence about one piece driveshafts. Can anyone shed some light on some of these questions?
Tim

Yes......Dana Spicer.
512013-vi.jpg

I'm pretty sure they are respected for the quality of their products. Doubt Ford would have chosen them to make a product bearing their name if it was going to be crap.

Thanks for the pic and verification Doc.

gsw166 said:
Is that a bad thing? being a Dana/Spicer?

I consider it a positive. They are known to produce quality products. And as mentioned earlier, Ford Racing would not put their name on it if it wasn't a good piece.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
gsw166 said:
Is that a bad thing? being a Dana/Spicer?

Dana and Spicer have been around for a long time. Dana rear axles and Spicer transmissions up to Class 8 vehicles. Now that they have merged they cover all applications on driveline components.

They make quality products. You will notice a positive difference in the performance of your Mustang.

Dave
302 Hi Pro

Dana/Spicer have been around for along time. They make a lot of the OEM driveline and Chassis parts for most cars sold in the US. The first all aluminum ZO6 Chassis was built by Dana.

Any idea on how this new Ford Racing (Dana) drive shaft compares to the others out there like DSS, Dynotech, or Shaft Masters?
I'm curious at this will be my next mod and for ease of installation, vibrations, quality of parts, what do you guys think??

My Boss is lowered on Steeda Boss Springs so the idea of a rear CV joint to eliminate having to adjust any pinion angle is what I want.

Thanks in advance . . .

I plan on installing the shaft this weekend while I am doing the MGW race-spec. For anyone who has installed a one-piece DS is there any pearls you can pass on? Haven't installed a driveshaft in 20 years and don't want to make an expensive mistake.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
docs302 said:
I plan on installing the shaft this weekend while I am doing the MGW race-spec. For anyone who has installed a one-piece DS is there any pearls you can pass on? Haven't installed a driveshaft in 20 years and don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Take your time.

The fit between the exhaust and the body is tight...but will fit without loosening the exhaust. Having stands under the the rear axel will keep the diff out of the way. If you lift by the body the rear end will be in the way.

If the Ford unit does not have a CV joint and the test drive produces a vibration, pinion angle can be adjusted to remove the vibration.

Clean up the four bolts which attach the shaft flange to the trans and reinstall with blue lock tite. No need to replace. Wire wheel works well.

A torque wrench is nice to have. If you are experienced with snugging things up, you can get away without one.

Installing the shaft after the shifter will allow easier movement while installing the shifter.

Watch the MGW videos. I did several times before installing my first MGW shifter. A great aid for the first time wrench turner our a pro. George really gets into his work.

These two mods made a noticeable difference with my 2012. The shaft removes some of the "Slop" in the drive line and the shifter goes a long way to improve the feel of shifting and may eliminate some missed shifts.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
docs302 said:

These are 2 of my top 3 upgrades/mods to my 2012 Boss, you will feel a difference. I have a similar DS and have no vibration issues from 1 to 143 MPH.

The third is my Peterson CVC, (Crankcase Ventilation Can), no more oil in the intake.

Good luck and let us know your impressions.
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Thanks all. I watched the MGW video and plan on doing it again. Doesn't look too bad and with the DS out of the way should be much easier. Shifting this car is so frustrating I can't wait to get this MGW done. I will post some pics when done. Plus, you will be getting more questions from me as I have many boxes yet to be opened.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
docs302 said:
Thanks all. I watched the MGW video and plan on doing it again. Doesn't look too bad and with the DS out of the way should be much easier. Shifting this car is so frustrating I can't wait to get this MGW done. I will post some pics when done.

Plus, you will be getting more questions from me as I have many boxes yet to be opened.

Cool!!! Christmas without the bills....at least for us. ;D

The shaft and the shifter are great mods. Switching to R Comps for the track, shifter and RST clutch are my top three mods. The shaft removed slop and freed up power. Free HP is always nice.

TMO Supporting Vendors