The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Relases 15" GT500 Brake Upgrade Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Calipers are much larger than the race skeleton calipers in the Brembo Pro kits. My 302S wheels fit with plenty of clearance, no spacers needed. I thought I hit the side of the caliper on the barrel of the BBS rim I tried but maybe I rushed and just didn't have the wheel properly lined up. The AMR 18" wheels almost fit, but the barrel contacted the top and bottom corners of the caliper. As far as the rear, the 13 Shelby has a new single piston floating caliper but it is very similar to the calipers on our cars. Rotor is 13.8" with a new axle plate to move the caliper outward. The pads are the same. I have been running 14" Baer kit on the rear and am tired of cracking rings (cross drilled :mad:) Going back to Ford OEM banks. I am adding cooling hoses and ducts for the rear to keep the fluid temps down and also to cool the wheel bearing /seals on the axle. If the stock rears degrade my brake performance numbers I will have custom solid ring made to fit the Baer hats. I think the'll be OK as the Continental GS guys run them very quickly on their R cars.

Another tip, Hard Brakes titanium shims work. I am running Carbotech XP20/XP12 combo and the from dust seals show no heat distress, on my original Brembos the boots were a melted mess. I nee to see if they make them for the rears too.

Steve

I wonder if the new larger GT500 rear rotors will work with your current setup? Might be worth a try. You're 302S wheels are the stock 19"?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
NFSBOSS said:
I wonder if the new larger GT500 rear rotors will work with your current setup? Might be worth a try. You're 302S wheels are the stock 19"?
Rick
You are brilliant! They are 13.8" vs 14" I have now that means .1" less radius than what I have, insignificant for pad coverage, I'm gonna go for it just have to see if the rotors are the same hat offset and thickness. Will compare with stock rear rotors,
Thanks
Steve

steveespo said:
Rick
You are brilliant! They are 13.8" vs 14" I have now that means .1" less radius than what I have, insignificant for pad coverage, I'm gonna go for it just have to see if the rotors are the same hat offset and thickness. Will compare with stock rear rotors,
Thanks
Steve
I hope that works so I can buy the Bear brackets and Ford rotors. ;D I also have a set of the hard brakes shims but I have not installed them yet. I will with my next pad change.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
YellowBoss said:
I have the 355mm Brembo setup using the Ford 302R ABS controller and stock rears. I have found that I am using the pads quicker now but if I don't get too low on pads the rotors will last longer since they wear vs. cracking. I had several sets of half worn pads and went through them quickly, the 01's lasting better then others. I have only used two new sets, Pagid and PFC 05. The Pagid's wore a little more then half in one day (but five sessions) and the next morning the rest wore in one session. I just used a set of PFC 05's and they wore a little less then half way in four sessions and that was with shifting problems.

I do need to get a set of new 25mm 01's or 08's to get a better idea of wear since that is what I was use to before. The reason I tried the 05's was because team I got the setup from were using 07's, among other pads. Called PFC about the different compounds and was told the 07 is very aggressive. I had the chance to get some 07's or 05's stupid cheap and he suggested getting the 05's since they are similar but less aggressive. I think I would have been happier with the 07's between the two.

Anyway I am sure part of the wear is being able to drive faster and brake deeper then before. I had was looking forward to getting four or more days per set but so far I can't even get two. At least the good side is the 25mm pads are about the same cost as the 17mm pads depending on where you get them and you can swap them out in seconds at the track.

I'm surprised on the wear data there! I figured it would be better.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LS110 said:
I am using the titanium shims up front as well. I looked for rears without luck. If you find them be sure to post.

+1 on this...

ArizonaGT said:
I'm surprised on the wear data there! I figured it would be better.

Yep, I thought I would be much better wear then a day and a half per set. However I was at the point of buring through a set of pads (01's) in a day and half with the stock calipers. Still the setup is still worth having and I would not want to turn back.

LS110 said:
I am using the titanium shims up front as well. I looked for rears without luck. If you find them be sure to post.

There is no doubt the shims are great to have but switching to the Castrol Brake Fluid is the best thing I have done to the car for tracking. I was always worried about boiling the brakes, now it is the last thing on my mind. I use to bleed the brakes after the day during a multi day event, more if the pedal went soft during a session. Have not had to do this with the Castrol, considering how much I use it may even be cheaper then the other brands.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
YellowBoss said:
There is no doubt the shims are great to have but switching to the Castrol Brake Fluid is the best thing I have done to the car for tracking. I was always worried about boiling the brakes, now it is the last thing on my mind. I use to bleed the brakes after the day during a multi day event, more if the pedal went soft during a session. Have not had to do this with the Castrol, considering how much I use it may even be cheaper then the other brands.

I have some Brembo HTC64T waiting to be put in this summer. I figure that will buy a little more margin on both the brakes and clutch operations.

YellowBoss said:

Scott - How many track hours do you go before flushing the Castrol?

LS110 said:
Scott - How many track hours do you go before flushing the Castrol?

As I said I was doing a complete flush the day before each track day and several times I had to do it at the track between sessions with other fluids.

After changing to the Castrol I ran two days at Sebring with fresh fluid and did not change or bleed at all. Then before two days at Daytona a month later I did a quick caliper flush (two or three pumps each). I quick flushed the calipers again up front for my last outing with Track Guys and did a complete flush on the rear - that was only due to the fact I changed to the new rear calipers.

The Castrol will absorb water but a greatly reduced rate and amount. I can't over-state how good this stuff is, when they installed the new brakes they used the Castol because that is all they use. I figured I would switch back but after the first day I ran with it I knew I would never switch back. It's that good ;D

Hey if you guys looking for brake kit im selling my baer extreme front brake kit still new 2500 retails 3400

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5320.0

yea i know. i was thinking the same.
cant wait for that explanation to the chief financial officer....she is not gonna understand it.

bt at the end of the day she will be ok as long as she gets to drive it..

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Does anyone know which 18" wheels will fit with the 15" brakes up front? I have the Enkei PF01's and they clear the stock Brembo's with ease. If anyone knows which wheels clear please share. Thanks

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel