The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Relases 15" GT500 Brake Upgrade Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You knew this was coming. Hopefully we'll have more news on this when Mark Wilson posts up about their test car they had at VIR last weekend. So far nothing specific on the FRPP website.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M2300T/Mustang-Ford-Racing-GT500-Brembo-Brake-Kit-05-14-M-2300-T

Installation sheet:

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/instructions/M2300T.pdf

m2300t_8097.jpg

That is SO awesome.
Lord knows that a car of this weight is begging for some good brakes.
But what I find odd here is that it uses a solid rotor. Why not floating 2 piece rotors?
Lighter, cheaper to replace (the outside disks), and potentially greater longevity. Let's not forget a reduction in unsprung mass as well!

boro92 said:
But what I find odd here is that it uses a solid rotor. Why not floating 2 piece rotors?
Lighter, cheaper to replace (the outside disks), and potentially greater longevity. Let's not forget a reduction in unsprung mass as well!
Not cheaper, even the rings are more expensive than the stock discs at least with DBA's. They are vented too and not solid. The weight savings isn't going to matter to most of us so between that and costs I'll stick with one piece for my 6-8 track days per year.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
NFSBOSS said:
Not cheaper, even the rings are more expensive than the stock discs at least with DBA's. They are vented too and not solid. The weight savings isn't going to matter to most of us so between that and costs I'll stick with one piece for my 6-8 track days per year.
+1 on that Rick, I have 5 track days and have gone through 1 1/2 sets of Carbotech pads on the Ford 15" rotors and there is not even a wear edge. These brakes are powerful. Rotors are $116 ea from Ford, DBA rings are $500 a set if you can find them as just rings.

Mark's test mule had the 2 piece rotors but also the Brembo race calipers not the OEM 6 pots. Also I have yet to find an 18" wheel that will go on over these calipers even the Ford Racing BBS wheels which I tried last Sunday with no luck. Enkei's, AMR, SVE also no good.
Steve

NFSBOSS said:

Agreed.
I honestly am not informed enough or have experience with Ford stock rotors, as I've yet to wear through a set yet... BUT on my old BMW, stock rotors were cheaper than other alternatives, but they wore fast. A set of carbotec pads is enough to kill the rotor to warrant a new one when it was time to change my pad. However, moving to a stoptech (still 1 piece) rotor, I could now survive an additional pad change before needing a rotor swap. It's not such much that the rotor was truly worn, but that they developed small cracks at a faster pace than the Stoptechs.

Now, if I were to do it again on the BMW, I would have just done 2 piece rotors, as replacing the outer portions were actually cheaper than the stoptech 1 piece rotors. It is my hope that the OE Ford rotors dont wear the same way as my BMW ones did...bc it actually ends up costing more to run stockies if that's the case (due to more rapid change intervals).

steveespo said:
+1 on that Rick, I have 5 track days and have gone through 1 1/2 sets of Carbotech pads on the Ford 15" rotors and there is not even a wear edge. These brakes are powerful. Rotors are $116 ea from Ford, DBA rings are $500 a set if you can find them as just rings.

Mark's test mule had the 2 piece rotors but also the Brembo race calipers not the OEM 6 pots. Also I have yet to find an 18" wheel that will go on over these calipers even the Ford Racing BBS wheels which I tried last Sunday with no luck. Enkei's, AMR, SVE also no good.
Steve

Scratch my past post, I guess :) I didnt get to this response before I wrote my 2c.
Good to know that OE rotors work well, and show great longevity. I'll stick with those then :)

steveespo said:

Mark's test mule had the 2 piece rotors but also the Brembo race calipers not the OEM 6 pots. Also I have yet to find an 18" wheel that will go on over these calipers even the Ford Racing BBS wheels which I tried last Sunday with no luck. Enkei's, AMR, SVE also no good. Steve
That's one of the biggest drawbacks for me. In addition to the $2300 in parts, I'd be looking at probably at least 2 grand in wheels and God only knows what kind of tire expense running 19s. :-\

NFSBOSS said:
So far nothing specific on the FRPP website.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22422

;)

Also has a list of wheels that will fit:

Requires Ford Racing wheels M-1007-DC199B, M-1007-SA199, M-1007-DC199LGB, M-1007-SA1995MB or wheel kits M-1007KIT-DC19910LGB, M-1007KIT-DC199B, M-1007KIT-DC199CH, M-1007KIT-DC199LGB, M-1007KIT-SA199, M-1007KIT-SA19910 or equivalent for caliper clearance
Kit also clears track use only wheels, M-1007-R1895, M-1007-R1810 and M-1007-R1895S 18" Mustang Ford Racing/BBS race wheels

Jimmy

Seems like they'll have no problem clearing the stock Boss wheels, and you'll probably be able to get them for $2000ish when Tousley starts carrying them. Looks like a brake upgrade my be in my future.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Jimmy Pribble said:
Jimmy
I tried the 18"x9.5" Ford Racing BBS wheel last Sunday and it hit the caliper. They list it though so maybe I wasn't lining the wheel up, I did give up pretty quick as the driver whose wheel I borrowed was going out on track in 15 minutes. If the do fit it would be great for track tire selection.
Steve

steveespo said:
Jimmy
I tried the 18"x9.5" Ford Racing BBS wheel last Sunday and it hit the caliper. They list it though so maybe I wasn't lining the wheel up, I did give up pretty quick as the driver whose wheel I borrowed was going out on track in 15 minutes. If the do fit it would be great for track tire selection.
Steve

Just looking at the page for that wheel:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22226

Ideal upgrade for Boss 302S - Legal for NASA American Iron Class. (requires .25" spacer at front to clear race brakes)

Not sure if that applies in this case or not.

The larger front calipers with this kit appear to be a solid upgrade from stock, but what about the rears? Are they single piston Brembo calipers with larger Brembo rotors, or the stock sliding calipers with larger rotors? If Brembos rear calipers, are they easier to change pads on vs. the stock sliding calipers, which are a real PITA for changing pads?

mycroft said:
Just looking at the page for that wheel:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22226

Ideal upgrade for Boss 302S - Legal for NASA American Iron Class. (requires .25" spacer at front to clear race brakes)

Not sure if that applies in this case or not.

Good catch. Every BBS (18 x 10) that I have seen at the track has been mounted with spacers up front. Figure these calipers are as big or bigger than the race ones being used and it's safe to assume one would need spacers. Might not apply to all the wheels listed.

I guess I'm not convinced this is that great of an upgrade for us that track the car aggressively. My complaint has never been the amount of braking that I get with the current setup but how quick the pads wear down. I'm sure this uses a slightly larger contact area pad but I doubt that the actual thickness of the pad is any different than what we have now.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Dean#4AI said:
I guess I'm not convinced this is that great of an upgrade for us that track the car aggressively. My complaint has never been the amount of braking that I get with the current setup but how quick the pads wear down. I'm sure this uses a slightly larger contact area pad but I doubt that the actual thickness of the pad is any different than what we have now.

I still think the right way to go for the serious track enthusiast is the Brembo trophy/pro kit at around $4K, that gets you the best rotors, lightest calipers, and capacity for the 1" thickness pads.
I have been told that it's possible to retrofit the 07-09 GT500 brake booster & master cylinder to the BOSS during this upgrade instead of using the $3500 FRPP booster setup; with the stock MC/booster and pro kit brakes the braking is a bit "digital".

dabossinne said:
The larger front calipers with this kit appear to be a solid upgrade from stock, but what about the rears? Are they single piston Brembo calipers with larger Brembo rotors, or the stock sliding calipers with larger rotors? If Brembos rear calipers, are they easier to change pads on vs. the stock sliding calipers, which are a real PITA for changing pads?

You can't run a fixed caliper in the rear with a solid rear axle due to the lateral movement of the axles (you can, but the solution is complex and expensive, and not ideal). A sliding caliper is required, and the GT500 rear is similar to the Boss 302 stock caliper.

The rear rotors are larger however, and since it uses a different caliper I'd imagine the pad is as well.

Dean#4AI said:
ArizonaGT said:
I still think the right way to go for the serious track enthusiast is the Brembo trophy/pro kit at around $4K, that gets you the best rotors, lightest calipers, and capacity for the 1" thickness pads.

I have the 355mm Brembo setup using the Ford 302R ABS controller and stock rears. I have found that I am using the pads quicker now but if I don't get too low on pads the rotors will last longer since they wear vs. cracking. I had several sets of half worn pads and went through them quickly, the 01's lasting better then others. I have only used two new sets, Pagid and PFC 05. The Pagid's wore a little more then half in one day (but five sessions) and the next morning the rest wore in one session. I just used a set of PFC 05's and they wore a little less then half way in four sessions and that was with shifting problems.

I do need to get a set of new 25mm 01's or 08's to get a better idea of wear since that is what I was use to before. The reason I tried the 05's was because team I got the setup from were using 07's, among other pads. Called PFC about the different compounds and was told the 07 is very aggressive. I had the chance to get some 07's or 05's stupid cheap and he suggested getting the 05's since they are similar but less aggressive. I think I would have been happier with the 07's between the two.

Anyway I am sure part of the wear is being able to drive faster and brake deeper then before. I had was looking forward to getting four or more days per set but so far I can't even get two. At least the good side is the 25mm pads are about the same cost as the 17mm pads depending on where you get them and you can swap them out in seconds at the track.

Dean#4AI said:
They are 15mm just like our current pads. The pad surface is larger and do a search for a thread that Steve started on his setup using these calipers. It's always a good idea to have too much brake but wheel fitment is a big concern for me.

TMO Supporting Vendors