The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Six Piston Calipers and Two Piece Rotors M-2300-T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

At PRI 2012 Ford Racing had on display the front Brembo calipers and rotors from the 2013 GT500 that they will sell in a kit. The part number is M-2300-T. Not sure when it will be available or pricing. While I'm sure the larger rotors will help with cooling I wonder if there will be any real benefit in stopping power from the new calipers.

BTW they also had an upgraded cooling fan for our radiators. Word is we'll get to test them out at Chuckwalla in February as their school cars have these fans installed.

It looks like some 18" wheels wont work with this kit. Kind of a bummer. The kit does look cool, though. Now, the upgraded fan could be added to my list. Thanks for the update Rick.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
That fan is going to be a 'must have'. As for the 6 piston calipers I'm not so sure... A larger pad surface also means less PSI across the pad face and doesn't necessarily result in more stopping power. A large rotor usually means better heat dissipation which does usually mean better stopping performance, but for those that have the brake cooling lines I'm not sure if that benefit would be realized.

I think the best solution, and the most expensive one, is the brakes from the 302S. Still a 4 piston system, but with a different pad geometry and also a much thicker pad. If you go that route you need a new MC, ABS controller, etc, etc.

With a good set of pads and a well designed 2 pc rotor I believe our cars don't suffer from any braking issues. So in the spring I'll order that fan ;D

I believe the fan is integral to the design of the radiator and that there is also an integrated water to oil cooler as part of this kit from Fluidyne. It is supposed to drop right in to the factory radiator location. The core and tubing are also completely different than our stock radiators. I am not aware that you can just add the fan, but I only know what Mickey described to me over the phone at this point. I would need to research further to find out for sure.

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:
That fan is going to be a 'must have'. As for the 6 piston calipers I'm not so sure... A larger pad surface also means less PSI across the pad face and doesn't necessarily result in more stopping power. A large rotor usually means better heat dissipation which does usually mean better stopping performance, but for those that have the brake cooling lines I'm not sure if that benefit would be realized.

I think the best solution, and the most expensive one, is the brakes from the 302S. Still a 4 piston system, but with a different pad geometry and also a much thicker pad. If you go that route you need a new MC, ABS controller, etc, etc.

With a good set of pads and a well designed 2 pc rotor I believe our cars don't suffer from any braking issues. So in the spring I'll order that fan ;D

You know, I often wonder what the measured effect of the brake cooling ducts is. My pads are rated like 600-800 degrees. Let's say I'm tearing it up on the track and they're cooking at 400 degrees. How much reduction is the forced air on the rotors going to have do you think? 50 degrees?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I can tell you first hand the difference can be much more. I posted some specific info very early in the year here on the Forum which I can't seem to find. Long story short I ran some tests at NJMP in early summer in the hot pits between laps. My front calipers were almost 100 degrees cooler than my rears after about 10 - 12 laps.

On my Boss I never have an issue with losing wheel weights from heat. I previously owned an Audi TTS which was a lighter car by 400 lbs. and not as quick. It had no ducts of any kind and my caliper's would cook like the devil. I also had to keep a strong eye on my wheel weights because I'd lose them from time to time. Because of that car I started using wheel weights from Perfect Equipment Corp. (they have a high heat adhesive, not the traditional 3M foam) and using high heat metal tape over the weights also.

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:
I can tell you first hand the difference can be much more. I posted some specific info very early in the year here on the Forum which I can't seem to find. Long story short I ran some tests at NJMP in early summer in the hot pits between laps. My front calipers were almost 100 degrees cooler than my rears after about 10 - 12 laps.

On my Boss I never have an issue with losing wheel weights from heat. I previously owned an Audi TTS which was a lighter car by 400 lbs. and not as quick. It had no ducts of any kind and my caliper's would cook like the devil. I also had to keep a strong eye on my wheel weights because I'd lose them from time to time. Because of that car I started using wheel weights from Perfect Equipment Corp. (they have a high heat adhesive, not the traditional 3M foam) and using high heat metal tape over the weights also.

Yeah, I lost wheel weights and got real bad vibration at 100+ mph and it freaked me out. Difficult to remedy at the track though, but sometimes there is tire service there. Is there a trick to finding which wheel lost its weight? maybe some paint or marking on the tire/weight beforehand?

Thanks for the heads-up! More stuff to add to the mod wish list. Oh, gee... Christmas is next week! Oh, Santa...

Thinking Girodisc rotors for my next brake upgrade. That new fan sure sounds like a must-have for serious track work.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
If you've lost weights on the Boss I'd do the following:

1) Get the brake cooling ducts. If anything they will allow your pads and calipers to last longer.
2) Get the proper pads. I know this may seem self serving since I sell pads, but some pads create a lot more heat than others, and don't handle the heat they create very well. I'll leave it at that...
3) Use Perfect Equipment wheel weights. I use these low profile ones (my previous track car had Stop Tech calipers which just about fit in my 18" wheels): http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PWT0/200624/N2295.oap?ck=Search_wheel+weights_N2295_-1_-1&keyword=wheel+weights&pt=N2295&ppt=C1982
4) Use a good high temp metal foil to cover the weights: I use http://tapes.berryplastics.com/SearchProductsDetails.aspx?ID=579
5) Makes sure wheels are thoroughly cleaned and degreased before installing the weights.

As for knowing which weights came off you can usually tell if it's the front or the rear based on the feel of the car. Front vibrations are much more pronounced in the steering wheel. Rear ones you usually feel in the seat of your pants. As far as left/right, that's a bit more difficult and comes with experience ;D

If you do steps 1 - 5 I strongly believe you won't be losing any weights under most if not all conditions. Keep in mind that some wheels are painted in such a way that the weight adhesive has a problem sticking. My son's cars wheels are like that, we needed to scuff up the surface significantly inside the wheel to solve his issues. The OEM Ford wheels as well as my Enkei PF-01's have no problems.

Sesshomurai

NFSBOSS said:
My impression is that fan replaces the fans on our cars. Fluidyne has a completely separate setup that uses a different fan. Someone call FR and ask them! :-\

I want this new fan....is it out? part number? Any more deets on it?

The fan will only help while you're rolling back to the pits right? Most fans are for low speed action unless they're viscous coupled like my Powerstroke and in that case you surely wouldn't want it on since it saps a TON of HP.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
There's two changes I could see in the fan while at PRI:

It had flaps on sections to allow more air to bypass out the shroud, and the fan blade configuration looked different. See this picture:

566784_10151343934431217_299897585_o.jpg

Looks like a drop-in piece (literally, since the fan just drops in and is secured on a bolt and a nut on the other side.)

The part number for the fan is M-8C607-MSVT with a retail price of $299 (you should be able to find it for much less) and is available right now. It is definitely an upgrade over the base fan in both CFM of the fan and as others have noted has the flapper doors. We put these on the 2012 Boss 302S and definitely noticed a difference.

It's a direct bolt/plug-in.

mwilson7 said:
The part number for the fan is M-8C607-MSVT with a retail price of $299 (you should be able to find it for much less) and is available right now. It is definitely an upgrade over the base fan in both CFM of the fan and as others have noted has the flapper doors. We put these on the 2012 Boss 302S and definitely noticed a difference.

It's a direct bolt/plug-in.
Thanks Mark. Any info on performance improvement with the six piston calipers and larger rotors vs. the stock Boss and older GT500 calipers and rotors?

TMO Supporting Vendors