The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing STS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun12 said:
Looking at getting this shifter to replace the stock one. Is anyone running it?

I am running this shifter and the two-post bracket that comes with it. I absolutely love it and wished I hadn't waited so long to install it. The install is very easy on ramps or jack stands; the toughest part having to install the oem shifter boot on the new shifter. Boss owners have to purchase the GT leather shift boot if you plan to use the FR shifter ball and extension that comes with the kit otherwise the Boss shift ball works fine. Since the install I've never missed a shift and the 1 to 2 nibble is all but gone.

You can purchase it here for $420.00 or from Jegs for less with a military discount.
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-racing-shifter-mustang-gtv6boss-speed-pri-1355.html?reviews_id=189

Is this the 500 dollar one from Ford? If so I would just get the MGW and save 100. Plus the MGW comes with a bracket, shifter, and the lower shifter body which is pretty nice.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
the ford racing one IMO is the exact same thing as a barton shifter. if you dont care about it being black instead of blue go that route (its not like you can see it anyways)

http://www.americanmuscle.com/barton-mt82-2post-kit.html

I prefer the MGW shifter myself. you have a lot more options on adjusting how it feels over the FR/Barton piece.

either way you go will be a step in the right direction as the stock shifter.....blows ball sacks.

http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AGFVtasExTs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tKoRWiHliJQ[/youtube]

One of the main reasons I was looking at the FR STS is I believe it has the shortest throws (40% shorter?). Also it retains the stock Reverse lock out.The other ones I've head are like 20-30%. I'm also tired of getting stuck in that 1-2 rut sometimes when shifting hard. I will be using the stock shifter knob. And price doesn't really matter either.

Just wondering how y'all like it. Heard that sometimes it though getting into N because its such a shorter shift.

Bay Area
It really comes down to a preference. I prefer the MGW but maybe thats because its what I use. My buddy prefers his FR but maybe its because its what he uses. They both will fix your problem. If your trying to stay Ford then go with the FR, if it doesnt matter and money doesnt matter try both.

Justin

Shaun12 said:
One of the main reasons I was looking at the FR STS is I believe it has the shortest throws (40% shorter?). Also it retains the stock Reverse lock out.The other ones I've head are like 20-30%. I'm also tired of getting stuck in that 1-2 rut sometimes when shifting hard. I will be using the stock shifter knob. And price doesn't really matter either.

Just wondering how y'all like it. Heard that sometimes it though getting into N because its such a shorter shift.
mine is pretty short. the mgw (watch the videos!!!!!!) replaces the entire shifter box and it has a much better reverse lockout.

the barton/ford racing one is easier to install.

the MGW you can reuse your stock knob (if you dont destroy it taking it off).

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Back in '04, there was the constant debate between Steeda, Hurst, B&M and others. Everyone told me not to get the Hurst. I didn't listen and had NO regrets.

Justin

mcmmotorsports said:
Back in '04, there was the constant debate between Steeda, Hurst, B&M and others. Everyone told me not to get the Hurst. I didn't listen and had NO regrets.
lol thats because you didnt have something else. I had in the past B&M a steeda then a MGW on my cobra with a T-56. Steeda was notchy and vibrated a lot. the b&m was engineered wrong couldnt go in first without hitting my hand on the console. the mgw was as quite as a stocker and so smooth and no more NVH over stock.

friend of mine had a hurst in his mustang I made him sell it and get a MGW he couldnt have been happier

drano38

Wayne
Justin said:
my wife drives mine just fine. she drove it to work today infact.

You're generous (or I'm stingy) because I'm the only one who's driven my Boss, except the dealer service department. My wife hasn't driven a stick shift in quite a while, and doesn't really want to re-learn.

Justin

mcmmotorsports said:
I think I did okay with my Hurst
lol I shifted perfectly with every shifter I had before. thats not the question....its how it feels on the shifts and how loud the shifter is and the placement of the handle. I used to shift that quick in my 87 plymouth sundance with a three foot tall shifter....doesnt mean it was a great shifter....

Shaun12 said:

The throws are far shorter than stock. I too was worried about finding neutral because of what a few had reported but proved to be a non issue. Neutral is easy to find from any shift point throughout the pattern.

You do retain reverse lockout and it is a positive lockout for sure. No chance of accidental shifting into reverse when at the stoplight with this shifter.

You can use your Boss shifter ball with the FR shifter without having to change out the leather shifter boot.

I don't have any experience with the MGW but as many have reported I'm sure it's a quality piece. I can report that the Ford Racing shifter is a quality piece and I doubt very seriously that you would be disappointed in its operation. The car should have come from the factory with this shifter IMO.

Highpower11 said:
The throws are far shorter than stock. I too was worried about finding neutral because of what a few had reported but proved to be a non issue. Neutral is easy to find from any shift point throughout the pattern.

You do retain reverse lockout and it is a positive lockout for sure. No chance of accidental shifting into reverse when at the stoplight with this shifter.

You can use your Boss shifter ball with the FR shifter without having to change out the leather shifter boot.

I don't have any experience with the MGW but as many have reported I'm sure it's a quality piece. I can report that the Ford Racing shifter is a quality piece and I doubt very seriously that you would be disappointed in its operation. The car should have come from the factory with this shifter IMO.

Thanks! Exactly the feedback I was looking for.

TMO Supporting Vendors