The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Touring Axle-backs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm finally going to replace the stock axle-backs. At one time I thought about the Roush, the 2012 GT500, the 2013 GT500, the Borla Touring, etc. On paper the FRPP Touring sounds like what I'm after, low, throaty, "old school," good WOT growl, but CA legal. Plus I like the shiny tailpipe and that they're 304 SS throughout. However there's very little on reviews of this muffler. Anyone here heard them/own them? Also, FR seems to be the only one that states whether their mufflers are 49 state legal vs 50 state. Are the rest all 50 state? Questions, questions...

203 Boss said:
I believe the Borla Touring Axle backs are identical save for tip size and a little less expensive.
Hmmm, FRPP Touring says it's chambered, while Borla Touring says turbo. Does that affect sound much?

I don't see anything about "turbo" on the product page, and I am sure there is nothing inside that warrants the description of "turbo" lol. It's a straight-through pipe with sound deadening material around it. No chambers, no "turbo". It might be a little louder than the FRPP ones. Ford does not want to sell anything too loud since they are OEM. Borla does not care about "too loud".

I have the Ford Racing touring axel backs and run the QTP cutouts. I leave the side exhaust open all the time and it sounds awesome coupled with the less aggressive touring mufflers. I'm very happy with the touring mufflers and they do save quite a bit of weight over the stockers and some of the other options. I also blacked out the back of the mufflers which I think looks much better.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Fiddler49 said:
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the FRPP Tourings. Hope they sound as awesome as you say OD!

A friend has them on his GT and I think they sound great. And that's before *and* after he removed the resonators.

I couldn't be happier with the FRPP Touring Axle-backs! They give the Boss a deep roar versus a barking snarl I got with stock. Maybe not as loud as some options, but I was looking more for the quality of the sound, not the volume. And yes, I do live in CA, where laws and regulations MUST be more overbearing than anywhere else, such as drive by sound laws... ::)

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Andy:

I live in the same neighborhood as you (or close anyway). I unbolted my side pipe plates the week after I took delivery and have had no issues with the Police. Of course, I don't rev it up when i am passing one but I have never had one give me the least amount of attention. Of course, the Martinez Police have better things to do than stop a white haired man in a new Boss that has a F^$% Cancer sticker in the back window!!!

I'm very interested in your new setup! I do like the stock system now that I have Trackey but new mufflers could add yet another dimension and level of fun! Hoq long did it take to throw these things in and how was the fitment?

John

Representing Corsa Extremes here! I hear a very small difference in the tail pipes over the stockers because of the open sidepipes I'm running. No drone at all - highly recommended for anyone on the fence.

jneary said:
Andy:

I live in the same neighborhood as you (or close anyway). I unbolted my side pipe plates the week after I took delivery and have had no issues with the Police. Of course, I don't rev it up when i am passing one but I have never had one give me the least amount of attention. Of course, the Martinez Police have better things to do than stop a white haired man in a new Boss that has a F^$% Cancer sticker in the back window!!!

I'm very interested in your new setup! I do like the stock system now that I have Trackey but new mufflers could add yet another dimension and level of fun! Hoq long did it take to throw these things in and how was the fitment?

John
I know I haven't had them that long, but it seems that my side pipes (running 3/4" plates) are a tad quieter than before, probably because the new mufflers flow better and "rob" flow from the side pipes. May have to go your route and pull the plates all together! I'm thinkin' we need to meet up and compare. If you'd like, PM me your contact info.

I had the mufflers installed because the hill I live on doesn't lend itself to working on cars. They're longer than stock, but that way you can see the cool Ford Racing logo! Also, they don't exactly center on the 2013 opening, but not too far off.

Fiddler49 said:
I know I haven't had them that long, but it seems that my side pipes (running 3/4" plates) are a tad quieter than before, probably because the new mufflers flow better and "rob" flow from the side pipes.
This is correct, there is less flow and hence less noise out the side pipes with freer flowing mufflers.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NFSBOSS said:
This is correct, there is less flow and hence less noise out the side pipes with freer flowing mufflers.
i concur as when I swapped to gt500's they got quieter and when I went to magnaflow comp cat back it got even quieter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors