The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Tow Hooks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Anyone have them installed? Tips? Tricks? Thoughts?
I bought a set from Watson when I ordered my roll bar and will be installing (getting installed) within the next week or so.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Mike did you buy the tubular bumper bars with the hooks or just the loose hooks? If you got the tubular bars you have to unbolt the stock beam and drill out 4 spot welds on each side. Bolt up new beam and put some white greas on the end of the hook tab. Then trial fit the bumper cover and press the center so the grease transfers onto bumper cover. Drill some pilot holes and recheck, finally make slot and reinstall and bolt on the hook.
For the loose ones you have to weld the tab to the stock beam. There are pics on the web but I think people weld them centered, lower side of the beams, maring and fitting after that is the same. If you want to reduce the hassle, get pufferfishs' front setup with Splitter brace and his rear setup. They are bolt in, no cut at the front and the rear cut is behind the license plate.
Steve

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
I didn't get the lightweight bumpers
I am on the fence about getting pufferfish's setup, especially since today is the last day of his sale.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
mcmmotorsports said:
I didn't get the lightweight bumpers
I am on the fence about getting pufferfish's setup, especially since today is the last day of his sale.
I have them and they were simple, have been tested to 6000 lbs pull and aren't that expensive especially with today's discount. The 302S bars are cool and I would have gone that way but I already had the job done.
Steve

drano38

Wayne
I had Ford do mine. They had already installed 2 sets, so they knew what they were doing. Took them 8 hours to do front/back.
On the font, you'll notch out the lip on the bumper so the plate sits down on the bumper.
Then you'll want to find a good for/aft position so the hook's cross bolt isn't too close to the clip, but not too far away either--don't want a wrench scraping the clip when tightening the hook bolt.
I like the looks of the weld in ones since they're the same as the race teams. But if other options (Pufferfish and Cooltech) had been available, I would have most likely went with them.

20120523194658.jpg

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
mcmmotorsports said:

I got mine from Pufferfish and I must say, fit and finish were spot-on. Regardless of which solution you get, the front cover has to come off, so that comes out of the equation. Four bolts out, four bolts in and then button it all back up again. Really simple install and it fits perfectly. For the price, Pufferfish's solution is really hard to beat. Can return the car to OEM and not have to worry about a hole in the bumper cover either (if that is a consideration).

mcmmotorsports said:
Ordered them from Steve last night. Will be returning the Ford Racing ones on Tuesday.

Thanks guys!

You will not regret your decision, I am also absolutely happy with the tow hooks I got from Steve. :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Looking for a how to thread or pics on a ford racing tow hook install. I didn't get the bumper beam, just the front and rear ford racing weld in tow hooks. Any help is much appreciated.

Adam

Tulsa, OK
There isn't really a great "how-to." I messed up my front hook by not notching the beam. It's still function and doesn't bother me but it's not in the normal spot. And it's really close to the bumper and has rubbed some of the paint off. Just take your time and measure a few times before you weld/cut. Rear is pretty easy.

TMO Supporting Vendors