The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford racing tranny scoop... any alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I am about to install my P springs on Monday, and was wondering how I would do with the tranny scoop I have installed. I hit it about twice a month on speed bumps as is in stock ride height, and with the P springs installed I will have to be extra careful. Any other cooling alternatives?? Maybe make a plastic scoop.......

Maui
Mad Hatter (ex splatter) said:
I am about to install my P springs on Monday, and was wondering how I would do with the tranny scoop I have installed. I hit it about twice a month on speed bumps as is in stock ride height, and with the P springs installed I will have to be extra careful. Any other cooling alternatives?? Maybe make a plastic scoop.......

For me it depends on the speed bump... but I sometimes scrape it on the shorter, taller bumps. I have the T springs (used to have the p-springs). Just have to drive at an angle so one front tire clears before the other. That usually helps.

tic,+90+Degree+Nest,+11%22x17-1%2F4%22x12%22,+Gray.jpg

I would buy a Rubbermaid box and go to town. Cut holes in the sides so that the stock support goes through it and obviously cut out the front. Use the lid to build-up the "ramp" in the back and to cut supports, as needed. I would use rivets to keep it all together. About $10.

Or...

boss302s31.jpg

302S uses a small, front mount cooler mounted next to the oil cooler. Probably in the $500 range to DIY.

Or...

302R_transcooler.jpg

302R uses a cooler mounted under the car. I priced it out and it's in the $1000 range to DIY.

Mad Hatter (ex splatter) said:

My car's not lowered. I've never hit the scoop

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup tall and not very wide, some are " home made"...!! I think removing it for daily use is the best way to go, thanks Grant.

Suffering from withdrawal symptoms as the car is in the shop for the P springs and liquids change. Next event for me is on January 26. Looking forward to seeing how the car handles. This coming year I have more then 15 events so far!!! Yahooo

TMO Supporting Vendors