The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Shelby GT-H will be available to rent at Hertz!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GT-H is back! Thought this was pretty cool 8)
I might have to rent one for the day just cause lol!

http://racing.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2016/03/shelby-american--hertz-and-ford-motor-company-launch-50th-annive.html?cks=431180050&emailid=FP_FASTNEWS

Alas, With only 140 of these cars available at 17 Hertz airport locations across the country ( 4 being in Fla & 4 being in Ca) the odds are very slim that you will be able to rent one of these cars unless you have a VERY good travel agent to get a reservation. I'm betting they will all be automatics, which only makes sense business wise. No airport locations near me for me to even consider this( In the New York Metro area, again wisely, I guess). I'm sure there will be a demand for these cars once they are retired from the fleet. It takes guts for Hertz to do this knowing that most likely these cars will be pushed to their limits & beyond. I wonder what the disclaimer will be?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
So, can I rent the GT350H and pull it in to my garage and swap the engines? They didn't seem to notice that back in the 60's!

I need a 5.2L FPC, doesn't everybody?
Hahaha
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
302BOB said:
Hi Pro, The Hertz GT H is a dolled up 5.0, not a 5.2........they're not that crazy.... ;D

Well, that's a Bummer, I guess they did notice that back in the 60's!

302 HP

302 HP, Back in '66 there were over 1000 of these "Shelby GT-H's" made for Hertz. This time around the number is 140. You may be right about things getting switched back then, but this time with way fewer cars to rent they may have a handle on it. ( although I'm sure it still can be done). IMO the Shelby name shouldn't be used with a 5.0 GT. Still, a nice car to have if you can find one when they are retired.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I looked at renting a Hertz Mustang from the last generation. I never found one available when I was traveling. I was told to expect one hour for check out and check in. They had a list of items and Seals on the car that had to be verified by the person renting and with a company rep.
Still, this will be a car of interest in 20 years.

A couple of years a go my sister-in-law came to visit us in Colorado and drove up in one of the Hertz Penske Mustangs. I kind of laughed, figuring it was just a stripe kit. Wrong. It had a Ford Racing lowered suspension, a tune, GT500 exhaust, an intake, the 2012 Laguna Seca gauge pack, leather Recaros, etc. It was a really cool car, basically an "almost Boss" with an automatic. Apparently they made a couple of them with manuals for the Penske execs to drive around.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/reviews/a5573/the-rental-2014-hertz-penske-mustang-gt-road-test/

TMO Supporting Vendors