The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Shifting to Build-to-Order Model

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
From a business and consumer standpoint I can’t really see a downside to this model.

If they keep a few fully optioned models on the lot for ‘fit and finish’ testing, aside from the wait it seems the best way to get what you want.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Aside from the wait being key.
Who orders a car now? I do, most dont. Will the market like the shift?
I, too, have always ordered and waited. That said, I can see the market shifting to a degree for specific higher end models. The more general models I don’t see being as acceptable. If someone is looking for a high mpg daily driver it seems that they would walk to the Honda or Toyota dealers as opposed to waiting for a bespoke budget Ford.

I could see the Mach-E, higher trim F-150s, and the Mustang GT+ models (GT500, Mach 1, etc) going fully custom. It will make test driving a POA, but they are ultimately selling they limited edition.

Ford may even try to replicate the Porsche Design experience to a degree. That would be interesting 🤔

sfo
In a world when I can get everything NOW, this idea that Ford has is going to crash and burn. When you got the Mustang in pictures and maybe one stang on the lot that every drives and gets all nasty and the camaro can be had at the chevy dealer in almost every color NOW guess which sales are going to increase?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Naples, FL
Well, I ordered a Mach 1 last month, having only driven a 2017 Mustang GT, which I rented from Hertz two years ago lol

TMO Supporting Vendors