The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford to Redo Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If they go with the Evos style, I don't really understand why. IMO, it is a lot like when Dodge revived the Charger.

Putting the Charger name on a boring family sedan didn't convince people who are into the old Chargers to buy one and may have in fact alienated people who liked the old ones. So they revived a beloved name to put it on a car that would probably only be bought by people who don't car about the name, and will not be bought by those who do care about the name.

I fear the same would happen with a Euro style Mustang. Those of us who like Mustangs will probably not be interested and people who are into Euros will not be convinced by the name to buy one. The people buying them will be buying them because they like the car, and it could be named almost anything else and they would not care, except for the possible stigma Mustang may have with certain groups (imagine a Honda Civic musclecar, we would have a little trouble accepting it, but a Lexus IF basically just waltzed in without too many grumbles except the lack of a manual). Focus has some street cred with people into Euros, but not Mustang. It just does not make sense.

The other side of it is, they don't want to kill off the Mustang name but they also don't want to keep producing muscle/pony cars anymore. So I rather they keep something, as long as it is fast and affordable (fast was not a big part of the original 64 but it has become a staple, if only in a straight line) and is not a 4 door family car. Eventually the hipsters' testicles will descend and they will want something Boss again.

5 DOT 0 said:
askjeffro said:
Well, I'm 30 and as such have many friends around that age. We all love the Mustang. (Okay, some our confused and prefer the Camaro).
It happens. :D

I always liked the Specialized (a bicycle company) motto: "Innovate or Die". The Mustang design needs to remain fresh and relevant if it's to live another 50 years.

Funny, I have been hearing a lot of complaints about Specialized bikes and flawed design of their forks from competitive riders. The rumor is they innovated a new fork design that blew and then they put it into production anyways since it cost so much to develop and it has all sorts of brake problems but they won't fix it. I know nothing about bicycles, but I have heard several hard core bicyclists mention the same thing over the last couple years.

CaliMR said:
5 DOT 0 said:
askjeffro said:
Well, I'm 30 and as such have many friends around that age. We all love the Mustang. (Okay, some our confused and prefer the Camaro).
It happens. :D

I always liked the Specialized (a bicycle company) motto: "Innovate or Die". The Mustang design needs to remain fresh and relevant if it's to live another 50 years.

Funny, I have been hearing a lot of complaints about Specialized bikes and flawed design of their forks from competitive riders. The rumor is they innovated a new fork design that blew and then they put it into production anyways since it cost so much to develop and it has all sorts of brake problems but they won't fix it. I know nothing about bicycles, but I have heard several hard core bicyclists mention the same thing over the last couple years.
I didn't say I liked their bicycles. ;)

My understanding is that it is the road bike forks. But it is only hearsay, as I haven't owned one. I like Marin bikes but just because they have a nice yellow paint.

One of the dealers I spoke to said there may not even be a 2014 Mustang, but an early release of a 2015. The VIN's don't accommodate half model years so in keeping with the
64 1/2 with 65 VINs, the '14 1/2 may be released as a '15, skipping the 2014 model year all together.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
When I saw it a part of me died inside cause that thing looks so stupid and has no business carrying a mustang badge. just name it the confused and leave the mustang like it is.

My guess is Ford is doing this intentionally. They are VERY good at marketing in a sneaky sort of way. They'll probably get everyone riled up thinking they're going to make the Mustang look like an M3 and then shock the world when a totally different design comes out. I'll reserve judgment until we see it unveiled ;)

I was 15 when the 64 1/2 Mustang came out, being a car nut at birth I thought it was cool, still do. I have watched the Mustang evolve over the last years and have had Foxs and recently sold my 66 Shelby (owned for 21 years) and got the Boss. In the early days (the 60's) I was into Chevys (57', Chevelles, Novas, Camaros and finally Corvettes that got me started in racing) but really lost interested in Fords (Ok, I had a 70 Torino 351 Cobra Jet) until the Fox came around. Evolution is survival, Ford knows that and is willing to risk losing some older buyers, not me. New stuff grows on you and if Ford continues to make performance at a reasonable price it will sell. Ford....bring it on!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
All us old guys remember the 70s where the Mustang was downsized and fourbangers came out as the standard engine. We see fuel standards elevated to stratospheric levels by the Government/EPA and more and more machines are propelled by 4 and 6 cylinders with electric Hybrid assistance. Seems history is just repeating itself and we may see the second ( and better) generation of muscle cars being slowly snuffed out, or confined to a very limited level.

Frankly I think the Evos is a beautiful machine, I just don't see it with a Mustang badge, and I think that is what is urking alot of folks. Call it something else and many would likely be fine, but if this is the direction Ford feels it needs to go , then maybe it is a last effort to keep the line alive.

There are rumors out that the Challenger may only live a year or two more and be replaced by a smaller, lighter machine on a new frame with an old name - Barracuda. We may be in the midst of a trend even with the pony car segment and if the run is over again, let's hope Ford does realize there are those of us that want performance and they do a ton of R&D on the replacement to keep it fast if it must meet economy ( CAFE ) standards.

Somehow this all lends itself to making the Boss a legend the second time around also, and if we see history repeat itself , let's just hope the next Mustang does work towards less weight to keep the power to weight ratio intact as noted in the article.

I do think the folks in America's Corporate Automotive Headquarters have realized this time around that there is a devoted following of drivers that want an automobile with sterling performance and charisma ,even at a price. There may be fewer factory hotrods coming in the future, but the performance buyer ,I believe, is understood to be alive and kicking and one who will still be around into the next Century.

Just spent a couple hours at a local Ford dealer arguing about prices for a car for my sister. They had a 40th anniversary Shelby KR that belongs to the dealer's owner, and when I mentioned I had a Boss a bunch of the sales guys came over and were all asking questions about it as a few of them are Mustang guys. The rumor is that they are going to have the 3.5 Ecoboost as the biggest engine in the regular ones for 2014, but that is just a rumor around the dealership. They had no real info. I like turbo motors, and if there were no boss and there were a 3.5T I would probably have gotten that rather than the 5 just because I like playing with the tuning and bovs. But I do hope they keep a big v8 of some sort.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
CaliMR said:
Just spent a couple hours at a local Ford dealer arguing about prices for a car for my sister. They had a 40th anniversary Shelby KR that belongs to the dealer's owner, and when I mentioned I had a Boss a bunch of the sales guys came over and were all asking questions about it as a few of them are Mustang guys. The rumor is that they are going to have the 3.5 Ecoboost as the biggest engine in the regular ones for 2014, but that is just a rumor around the dealership. They had no real info. I like turbo motors, and if there were no boss and there were a 3.5T I would probably have gotten that rather than the 5 just because I like playing with the tuning and bovs. But I do hope they keep a big v8 of some sort.

Pretty much any dealer you talk to will be the absolute last person to know anything about any car, including the ones they sell. The internet will have the information long before the dealers know WTF is going on, and many dealers won't even know what the deal is when they have the cars on their lot.

I can't wait to hear another round of "I know a guy that works on the line at Ford" stories ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ArizonaGT said:
CaliMR said:

Pretty much any dealer you talk to will be the absolute last person to know anything about any car, including the ones they sell. The internet will have the information long before the dealers know WTF is going on, and many dealers won't even know what the deal is when they have the cars on their lot.

I can't wait to hear another round of "I know a guy that works on the line at Ford" stories ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
the guys that sold me the boss were complete retards when it came to knowing mustangs let alone what made a boss different from a GT all they did know is they wanted mark up on it. then the guys that work on the cars in the back....omg you would think they didnt work at a ford dealership at all.....yeah they ask me every time what is a boss 302? its a mustang....oh ok so it has a v8?...actually its a flying saucer made of paper mache and egg yokes....yes it has a V8

TMO Supporting Vendors