The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford to Redo Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3hTNs7xy2E&context=C4e97961ADvjVQa1PpcFPF5IgKnp48Gd4yjxe7Fm9tEQ-z7IuT3iQ=[/youtube]

:eek: ??? 8) Which will it be? I'm very anxious to see it as I'm planning to trade my GT500 next year for whatever it happens to be.......

Article I saw printed today quoted an unnamed source in Ford saying the Evos is almost exactly what the new one will look like except it will have round lights. Did not say about suspension, etc except it will be on the platform for the Fusion (so probably rwd). Assuming it wasn't the janitor that they quoted and that the info is correct (which it probably isn't unless by sheer luck).

I would be shocked it the next Mustang was FWD.

Most likely it will be a bit lighter, RWD, V8 powered have an IRS.

But hey, if they do make the next Mustang FWD, the value of ours will skyrocket.

I like the looks a lot but it will lose some of the classic Mustang lines.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/press-releases-through-comparison-tests/wsj-ford-mustang-article-4-16-12/

I'm guessing it is going to be RWD, most modern architectures are designed to accommodate AWD variants so there should be room if they had RWD option in mind too (assuming longitudinal motor/trans, it would need different space requirements from an AWD). Most of the cars it will be competing with are RWD or AWD. If it is AWD, it will suck. Lawyers just will not let them make an aggressive AWD system like the older Evos, and the new gizomagic ones like newer Evos, GTR etc are fast but have no soul because it is the car doing the driving. That is the compromise to let it be fast but still safe for bad drivers.

V8 might still be an option, but if it is a true world car it will need a small turbo and a turbo diesel.

BLAZN BOSS

You know, it hasn't been to many years ago Ford announced that the Mustang would go FWD...........the input from Mustang purists was so startleing that Ford back tracked and canned the idea...........For some reason (and we who have owned multiple stangs know) people don't want to lose what the stang is about..........it aint euro, it aint FWD, it seems that when push comes to shove the majority doesnt ant to lose what makes a car a Mustang..........

BLAZN BOSS

That new Mustang idea..................like last night dinner.............this too shall pass!

The problem is the Mustang is now the worst selling of the 3 musclecars, so they have to try something different. The average buyer is like 51 iirc, they need younger buyers since they seem to be reaching the saturation point with us old guys.

CaliMR said:
The problem is the Mustang is now the worst selling of the 3 musclecars, so they have to try something different. The average buyer is like 51 iirc, they need younger buyers since they seem to be reaching the saturation point with us old guys.

Mustang is #2. It's behind the Camaro a bit, but way ahead of the Challenger.

Article I read is wrong then. I see more new Challengers here than anything else, followed by probably 05 style mustangs then camaros and newer mustangs are about the same.

CaliMR said:
Exactly. We don't want the Mustang to become like Buick where no one under 60 buys a new one.

Well, I'm 30 and as such have many friends around that age. We all love the Mustang. (Okay, some are confused and prefer the Camaro). The real issue with the Mustang, if you are worried about age demographics, is not the design, its the price. a well optioned GT is easily mid 30's which in a few years will cross the 40k mark. That is a year's salary for the average American, committing to that amount is unlikely with all the other things you can spend money on.

askjeffro said:
Well, I'm 30 and as such have many friends around that age. We all love the Mustang. (Okay, some our confused and prefer the Camaro). The real issue with the Mustang, if you are worried about age demographics, is not the design, its the price. a well optioned GT is easily mid 30's which in a few years will cross the 40k mark. That is a year's salary for the average American, committing to that amount is unlikely with all the other things you can spend money on.
Good to hear and most of my kids' friends (HS and college) love our Mustangs too. Hopefully it doesn't stray too far from the heritage.

TMO Supporting Vendors