The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford vs Ferrari Movie Release Date: November 15th!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Niki Lauda has an interview in which he talks about the making of Rush, and said he was told at the beginning by the producers he wouldn't like the movie, once it went into production it would be a Hollywood production and not a documentary. He was consulted quite bit and even took the actor who portrayed him to a modern F1 weekend.

He did, however, admit to not liking the movie on the initial cut without the sound effects/music, but was asssured the finished product would be better. Having seen it, I can attest to why I understand he wouldn't like it. He did admit that he thought it was 80% accurate.

I hope after tomorrow afternoon we can all attest that even though it got a little bit of hte Hollywood treatment, the movie was 80% right.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Saw it last night in Imax, with maybe 20 people in the room (cold here in Michigan, and Thursday nights don't bring many people anyway).
I understand why Ford has recently stated they were not involved / included in the production, and I can see why the movie isn't showing in Dearborn theaters...

It removes a bit of the glam and glitter Ford has been putting on that 60 year old story and shows a bit more of what happened, how execs almost ruined everything (as some usually do...) and how the relationship between Shelby and his hotrodders, Miles and his temper, and Ford's bureaucratic ways might have actually been, and it's not a Disney story where everybody is happy :D

The other side of the movie, the cars and driving scenes, is really cool too, well depicted, technical enough to please the aficionados without rebuffing the non-car viewers I think.

All in all, great movie that I'll watch again and get in Blu Ray when it comes out.
Now, the real question after seeing it is : which kit car should i build first : a Cobra or a GT40?

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
After reading the book, "Go Like Hell," I came around more to the Ferrari side of this story honestly.

Ford dumped endless money into this project and sent 8 cars to Le Mans. NOT winning would be hte story of 1966, not that they wont. They were literally the death star and Ferrari, despite the history and pedigree, was the underdog at that point.

Ford did nearly crap the bed on the whole project too. They were absolutely convinced that NASCAR was winning with the 427 and they could win at Le Mans too. The teams made it work with some aero, but felt it was unnecessary. Shelby always said that it was the quick brake changes they could make that won the race and solidified the win.

All in all, I think the 1968 and 1969 Le Mans story is the real underdog. Ford was done after 1967, J&M engineering bought the old 1964 car to make it fit the new rules, and ended up beating Porsche, who tried to pass off a Saturn 5 rocket on wheels as a race car in 1969.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Florida
Saw it last night with my wife who usually falls asleep at any movie it the theater. She got us great seats for my birthday. As I was born a few years after it all happened I don’t know about the real story. My wife was awake thru the whole movie and couldn’t wait to have fun in the gt350 on our way home. I liked that they had plenty of Shelby’s cars in the background of many shots. Nice to see Shelby Daytona, cobras and gt350s as well as the gt40s.

Think my wife might be opening up to me having a replica gt40 in the future if the movie doesn’t drive the prices up to much

The book Go Like Hell was a very good read and although the movie is not based on that book I hope the movie is as good as the book. I was a kid growing up in SoCal in 1966 and just starting to pay attention to cars. When Ford won Le Mans in 1966 it was all over the news. I remember asking what was the big deal. It wasn't until years later that I understood the significance of that win. I was at a meeting last night and several people in attendance know I run TMO. They were all interested in the story and were planning on seeing the movie. I hope the movie does well.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel