The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford's Response to the Tire Sensor Fault in My BOSS 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So after 7,000 miles I found a extra set of BOSS Rims/Tires.. I purchased them and put them on to keep my originals "Safe".. as the ones I bought had some niks and scratches already... Tires are fairly worn as well... but not bad...

So I drove around and my I get a "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" message after I drive for 50-100 miles, sometimes sooner...
I told a buddy that worked at a Auto Store and he brought his Tire Sensor Device to try to re-train them... and he couldn't get to to retrain...
I took to the Ford Dealer, they couldn't get them to retrain, and told me they might have to replace the entire PCM... I said, contact Ford Racing and see... cause I never had this issue with my Stock Rims/Tires, and since these came off a 13' and my car is a 13' I didn't see why it would be the PCM... (all the sudden)... So the Dealer called Ford.. and this what they came back with...

Apparently these new rims and tires are "sensitive" to signals... (Keep in mind before reading this, I had not prior issues, I have had my iPod and charger in from day 1...I have had my Radar Detector in the car whenever I drive the car for the past 3,000 miles. and I always connect my iPhone via Bluetooth since day 1... ONLY thing that has changed is the RIMS and TIRES I purchased.

Ford is saying this does not qualify as a "Warranty" item... and won't fix it or replace sensors on the rims. What part of "Bumper to Bumper" am I not understanding? (BTW, Ford does not know these are not my original Rims/Tires, cause honestly, it shouldn't make a difference in my eyes.)

Suggestions? This is the 3rd "problem" I have taken to Ford and they have said "Do not touch the car" to the dealer. WTF is the Bumper to Bumper warranty for? If a Decal is coming off, or a lightbulb goes out, or the clutch goes out, and the car is under warranty, then it should be fixed no questions asked... RIGHT?

FordTireSensors.jpg

Sounds like they took the bs route... So magical fairy dust in the atmosphere can cause it too :eek:

Can you ask them to test drive it with everything unplugged, for however long the cycles are on the TPMS system, to see if the accessories are the problem?

I am going to turn my phone OFF... turn my iPod off and unplug the "Factory" Charge Cable from the "Ford USB Port".. I am also going to turn off my Radar Detector for 100 miles... if that light comes on in that time frame, I will go back to dealer and tell them.. then I want to personally talk to the "Tech" who says its "Invisible Frequencies" that magically appeared and started messing with my car after 7,000 miles on the odometer...

Replace the Sensors FORD... its not hard... then see if the problem continues... The dealer even said the same thing... But the dealer's hands are tied, because if they replace the sensors against "Fords" wishes, the dealership gets charged for the sensors...

You will also notice in the "Tech's Email" he says "Tire Pressure Warning"... WRONG... I am not having a Tire Pressure Warning.. I having a Tire Pressure SENSOR FAULT message... (I will take a photo of the next one to send to them so there is no confusion.)

To be fair, a lot of cheapo knock-off phone chargers will emit noise, and definitely cheapo aftermarket HID drivers. They might be using a low frequency for the sensors. And it could be somewhat weak as well, just to save battery power. What I am wondering is how come I

So I just did what Ford suggested.
I drove for 30 miles with radio off, iPod and cable removed, radar detector removed and off.
Again after about 23 miles "Tire Pressure Monitor Fault".

Going back to dealer tomorrow. To discuss.

Try putting the original set of tires/rims back on and see if you still get the message. Maybe there is something unique between the original sensors and the PCM and the new sensors from the other wheels are setting it off.

I could do that, but these wheels are the same ones from a 13, same tires, rims, nothing had been replaced so I'm confused at to why it wouldn't work...

I'm sure Ford will still says it's a frequency.

rpm3dinc said:
I could do that, but these wheels are the same ones from a 13, same tires, rims, nothing had been replaced so I'm confused at to why it wouldn't work...

I'm sure Ford will still says it's a frequency.

probably bad sensor in one of the new rims.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I may have missed it but you have to retrain the new TPMS sensors to your car…it is a weird process but you can look up the how to on youtube…It involves pushing the brake pedal and manipulating the inanition switch. You also have to have a special relearn tool which Ford should have and be able to do. I did this on my own when I changed tires and rims and put new TPMS sensors on my Boss.

Adam

That's just it, the sensors retrain (According to Ford), but my buddy and I couldn't get them to retrain at all, but I still get a Sensor Fault regardless
TireFault.jpg

I remember reading another 'retrain' procedure that does not use a remote, but require deflating the tires one-by-one. Might be worth giving it a try and see if that method works, before wasting another day at the dealer. Do a quick search on this site, the retrain method is posted somewhere.

rpm3dinc said:
he brought his Tire Sensor Device to try to re-train them... and he couldn't get to to retrain...

It sounds like you tried to retrain them at home, presumably in the vicinity of the original tires. I'm thinking that you may not have been able to train the new wheels because of the presence of and interference from the original tires. If you haven't already tried it, take a shot at having your buddy retrain the computer somewhere else. I'm just spit-balling ideas here.

MA
Sounds silly, but could it be possible that someone removed the sensors from the wheels, or put aftermarket or non compatible ones in? As others have suggested put the OE ones back on and try again.

I talked to the guy I bought the wheels and tires from. They were never dismounted prior to me purchasing them. So they are OEM wheels and sensors.
I have not put my Original rims/tires back on yet.

Should I do that prior to talking to Ford again? Or do you think it really matters?

Just my opinion, but are you sure the sensors are there? I would have a shop break one down just to be sure. I have trained them with the tool, and it took a little longer than expected per tire. Make sure you are right next to the valve stem and the car is in the learn mode for the TPS. Good luck.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel