The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford's Transmission Investigation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There sure are a lot of first time posters in this thread. :eek:

I thought skip shift might be causing issues shifting into second but disabling it didn't improve the shifting on my car.

5 DOT 0 said:

I thought skip shift might be causing issues shifting into second but disabling it didn't improve the shifting on my car.
Thanks, Rick. That answers that. I wonder how soon a recall will happen if it does at all? I'm going to guess that Ford is already looking at the issue and attempting to isolate a component or three. I doubt the whole transmission will be scrapped...

jimprw said:
5 DOT 0 said:

Thanks, Rick. That answers that. I wonder how soon a recall will happen if it does at all? I'm going to guess that Ford is already looking at the issue and attempting to isolate a component or three. I doubt the whole transmission will be scrapped...
Well I reported in another thread that my shifting got a lot better last week. Not perfect but no complaints either. I don't think the transmissions are able to be rebuilt.

Skip shift feature will never be seen by moderate to aggressive accelerators. What I mean is if you granny shift the car ..say going under 2500 rpm from 1st to 2nd under light acceleration you will probably get skip-shift enabled. You get a message that comes up in the message center. I got it a few times while the car was still being broken in. Since break-in mileage I have not see it again. Due mostly to how aggressive I am with the throttle and what RPM I shift at now.

I would say that highway speed merging...by then you should on the gas enough that skip-shift should not come into play.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
I have no freaking idea. I thought it might loosen up so I held off to post my comments. A hundred miles later it loosened up.

weird...no fluid change or anything?

Maybe you just had a loose gear tooth that finally broke off :)

ArizonaGT said:
5 DOT 0 said:
I have no freaking idea. I thought it might loosen up so I held off to post my comments. A hundred miles later it loosened up.

weird...no fluid change or anything?

Maybe you just had a loose gear tooth that finally broke off :)
Or maybe more used to the close ratio shifting? <shrug> Or it's warmer?

Hi guys,

Here is what I got from my Dealer on the Transmission issue (this is from an e-mail correspondance between my Dealer and Ford):

---------------

Tony-

The only thing that I know of is the public info:
-NHTSA inquiry was opened with 32 complaints of "occasional" problems
shifting into low gears at ambient cold temperature.
-No death or injuries have been noted.
-approximately 26K Mustangs with the 6 speed manual trans units have
been sold.
-the current TSB recommends replacing the full synthetic ATF with the
duel clutch trans fluid that has a lower viscosity to the original.
-There is not class action lawsuit filed to my knowledge at this point.

However, this is the official Ford reply:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced a
new investigation into 2011-12 Mustang based on 32 complaints alleging
difficulty shifting six-speed manual transmissions. No class-action
lawsuit has been filed on this matter and only 26,000 vehicles are
involved.

Our message: We will fully cooperate with the government as they review
this matter and are not aware of any related accidents or injuries.

Jeff McLendon
FCSD Zone Manager
Ford Motor Company

TMO Supporting Vendors