The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Forgestar wheel selection help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am considering a custom tire and wheel package for my 13 Boss 302 Mustang. Leaning toward a plus one size for both front and rear-265/40/19 and 295/35/19 respectively. My question is regarding rim width-19x9 or 9.5 front and 19x10 or 11 rear-and how tire performance will or will not be subject to change from one rim width when compared to the other. For what it's worth my car will only see a couple high performance driving events a year. I am just a novice driver and will not be doing anything competitive. I have studied the numbers provided by Tire Rack and understand the industry standard regarding rim width when setting these numbers and how section width changes with rim width. I would however like to know how much, if any, other factors may vary when given the rim width selections I have mentioned. Specifically, I'd like to know how overall tire diameter might be affected. I am thinking little if any. It would be appropriate to mention I have installed the Boss specific springs that Steeda sells. And lastly, many have been burned by an unexpected fit or appearance with aftermarket rims and tires. I would most appreciate any input, advice or any other thoughts on the wheel and tire package I am looking at. Thanks.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Be careful!!! If you get bitten by the bug,,, you might end up tracking the car more then you think!!! Going to 18 inch wheels makes the car perform better and saves you tire money.

Just for your info My friend has 295/30-19 on 19x10 and 315/30-19 on 19x11 F14's. They fit fine with out any spacers.

I ran that width tires on 19x9 and 19x10 wheels for the street on my Boss and they worked fine. I know a lot of people like to put wider wheels on their cars but I'm not sure why. The narrower widths will be lighter and that would be my preference.

Welcome to TMO!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I am happy running the stock wheels with 275/35-19 square on the street. But I have seen several people who spent a lot of cash on 19 or 20 in wheels then later regretted it when they got hooked on tracking the car. Its easy to fall down the rabbit hole!

I have Forgestar CF5V in 19x9 and 19x11. Couple comments...
I wish I did 10" fronts. Right now I have a 265/35 on the front and could fit more. 11" on the rear is great however 305/30 are hard to find.

I am also on Steeda Boss Springs and the 305/30/19 still has a gap. See below:
7A4DBF8B-5139-4CB3-B613-FA7B94183232_zps6nhe9b81.jpg

00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000001A2_zpsldegcfob.jpg

Honestly though I wish I went with 20" rims. I think they would fill the gap better.

TMO Supporting Vendors