The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Found an intriguing device today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wonder if having wide open side pipes will draw out the backpressure and avoid any muffler damage since I still have GT500's in the rear. I asked them this question.

DGRacing said:
I wonder if having wide open side pipes will draw out the backpressure and avoid any muffler damage since I still have GT500's in the rear. I asked them this question.

Me too, it would be freaking sweet to shoot flames out the side though lol

Here's what they said:

We haven't had any problems with mufflers, only with catalytic
converters. We don't recommend the WOT Box for use on cars with
catalytic converters, especially stock cats. The main reason is that we
can't control how long you will use the launch control. If you hold the
launch control for too long, the cats will overheat and melt down from
the unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust.

To minimize the popping when using the no-lift shift, keep the no-lift
shift time short, perhaps 200 - 250 ms. The default "auto" mode will cut
up to 350 ms.

DGRacing said:
Here's what they said:

The same thing will happen with the MSD two step. I blew the guts out of both Cats on one 1/4 mile pass and the material bacame a molten mass and cloggeg up in the X-pipe. That was with KOOKS CATS. live and learn I guess.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
ForceofWill said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jYFAQs0vjqw[/youe]

http://i52.tinypic.com/2lcoyd.png[/ig]
[/quote]

Whoa. LOL

LOL, this is some intense sh&%. Im game! I have Borla mufflers, so hopefully it will be okay if the manufacturer says s ;).

Oh, Oh!!!!!

I've got my Jegs Cat Delete's on order. 18" NT05 DR's in the garage andwaiting for the 18" wheels. AED/SCT Airaid CAI in June.

Keep us informed on install and results.

The potential for .2's AND flames!!!!

Tulsa, OK
I'll be the nay sayer ???, not because I don't think this is a good product, but because my understanding is that DG will be using this in a road racing scenario rather than drag racing. I just don't see much use for this product on the road course. Now if you were dragging it would be a different story ;) Just my thoughts...

roadhouse said:
I'll be the nay sayer ???, not because I don't think this is a good product, but because my understanding is that DG will be using this in a road racing scenario rather than drag racing. I just don't see much use for this product on the road course. Now if you were dragging it would be a different story ;) Just my thoughts...

You make a good observation. It is probably more beneficial to drag than road, but the reality of road racing is similar to drag in that the differences between first and second can often be tenths of seconds.
The shift-lag (torque included) on long straights can be felt with the MT82, so if this device reduces or eliminates that, that's a few tenths gain. When I go to the magnum, I'll probably not need this device.
But I'll find out soon enough what the benefit is.

Tulsa, OK
s
DGRacing said:
You make a good observation. It is probably more beneficial to drag than road, but the reality of road racing is similar to drag in that the differences between first and second can often be tenths of seconds.
The shift-lag (torque included) on long straights can be felt with the MT82, so if this device reduces or eliminates that, that's a few tenths gain. When I go to the magnum, I'll probably not need this device.
But I'll find out soon enough what the benefit is.

You make a good point as well, anything to go faster or shave some time is a step in the right direction. That's what all of us are trying to do :) In for your future observations...

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I have been powershifting (or no-lift shifting) mustangs for over 2 decades. they like it!...especially the lower powered ones. its the only way to get a respectable run down the straight. my 600hp 95 road race mustang was a different story. powershifting in that beast just resulted in baking r-comps to death. my 2011 is tame enough to flat foot it, but reserve that maneuver for z06's trying to make a run on me ;D other than those rare times, i just quick shift (quick stab of the clutch/let off gas/bang into the next gear and go)

for me, it seems counter-productive to reduce throttle opening in shifts. i do understand the point of saving your trans, which is why manufacturers have been building it in the code since the drive-by-wire came out, but tuners have been turning that safety feature off because it hurts 1/4 mile times.

i would, however, like to see if it improves lap times.

sadil said:
Bump to get this back to the top! Was the Wbox delivered?

Yep. I got it yesterday. It will be going in next Tuesday and we'll be using the dyno wheel to test it. Videos will be posted.

Steve. Consider this logic. Lets say wotbox nets you a 2/10ths gain on long straights over nonwot.
Now thats per lap. So in a 10-20 lap race thats 2-4 seconds of found time over the competition. Could be more!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I am hoping it works perfectly for you. Cause I have wanted to buy this for quite some time. I know I am leaving quite a bit of ET on the table with the way I shift.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
again, I am interested to see if it nets positive results. I view road course straights the same as the drag strip...as I am sure you do. if the gadget is aimed at improving drag racers' e.t.'s, it is certainly relevant to road course racing. intuitively, it seems to me that powershifting (not allowing the throttle to close at all in a shift) is better for e.t.'s, but that's all subjective. if a powershift results in anything more than a chirp, you are losing e.t.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
DGRacing said:
Yep. I got it yesterday. It will be going in next Tuesday and we'll be using the dyno wheel to test it. Videos will be posted.

Steve. Consider this logic. Lets say wotbox nets you a 2/10ths gain on long straights over nonwot.
Now thats per lap. So in a 10-20 lap race thats 2-4 seconds of found time over the competition. Could be more!
did you get it installed and tested?

TMO Supporting Vendors